Kuishinbo~Meow~

I eat so much until people call me Dr. Fish Fish.

Thursday, December 02, 2004

Kakak in Japan (Pt 1, 30 Oct)

Kakak (a Malay way to say elder sister) reached Japan on Saturday (30 Oct) morning. Phew!! So glad to meet with her in the bus station. Huh! So worry she has problem reached the bust station safely from Kansai Airport. She's been telling me the people in the airport were so helpful. Even though can't speak English, they tried to direct her by using body language.

We then went back to my apartment. After resting for a while, started to bring her out. We had lunch in Hakodate Ichiba (函館市場) near my place. She love it!! Especially the pudding. I'm goin to do a summarized review for the Hakodate Ichiba later in this Kakak in Japan series as I went there twice with her (as she requested :P) and once with Patrick during his bd. I did 2 posts for Hakodate Sushi before, here and here.

After tat, brought my sis to down town for a few hrs shopping. First, I brought her to experience karaoke in Japan in Jankara (Jumbo Karaoke Hiroba). Hee... at first she said 1 h enough. After we started to sing, she got so hooked that she wanted for another hr. But as it was a Saturday, long waiting list, the staffs didn't allow us to extent. Oh well, I promise my kakak I'll bring her to Jankara again before she went home. Then we did a good shopping in a souvenir shop as the shop was closing soon. Discount from 30-70%. Wow! :)

We hv to rush as we hv a dinner appointment with my lab's gang.

Welcome dinner for kakak (1)

When we reached Wang Hao's house, it was so merry. All the gals were busy preparing their own things for us. *sob sob* Fish Fish just sit and wait. :P



Park san prepared her chijimi (チジミ) batter. Chijimi is a Korean pancake.



She didn't has a hot plate, which is the best thing to make a beautiful chijimi. So, she used Wang Hao's stove to do it. It didn't come out well for the shape. Hee... The one u see on the top, was one of the prettiest. Made her omost wanted to cry. As this was the 1st time my sis tried it. She felt like her whole work was a mess.

But... the taste was just as great as usual. We love it. After seeing us eating the chijimi as nothing really matter, she felt much better. Poor gal! She has one of the best chijimi I had ever tried. Very authentic. I love chijimi more compare to okonomiyaki (お好み焼)(Japanese pancake). Here is a recipe for okonomiyaki. Can't find a good chijimi recipe yet from net. :P Maybe my way looking for it was wrong.



As for a Brazil born Japanese, Mirian, she tried to challenge her first takoyaki making. Above were he 2 batters she prepared. One was without meat, obviously why... *sob sob*



Here is Mirian (left) and Park (right) with a ready to cook action. ;)



Mirian brought her new Takoyaki machine on that day. It was cheap, only 1180yen (RM44). Making fish fish wanted to hv one too. Small, cute n convenient.



First, after brush some oil in the Tako holes, pour the batter till the holes are full.



After a while, add in tako (蛸)(octopus) chunk into the veggie one and the one with hoshi sakuraebi (干し桜海老) (dried sakura shrimp). Heee... Park forgot that the meatless one no need to put, and she put each hole with tako. Well, it was too late by the time we realised. Nvm, can owez pick out.



Then, with a quick turn, the Takoyaki ball started to form. When the other half hemisphere for the Takoyaki oso ready, then turn turn turn the ball for a few time before take it out.



Phew!! Pretty round takoyaki. I think it was a beautiful one considering that was our first time. This plate was done by fish fish. :P Not bad ler? With topping of mayonnaise, takoyaki sauce and dried seaweed.

The taste was good, just that a bit hard compare to normal takoyaki. Heee... think Mirian used too much flour for her batter.



Kakak tried to challenge make Chijimi ball indeed. Well, it was no good shape. Cause the flour was kind of difficult to form balls. In fact, they sticked to the Takoyaki hot plate. She was so busy, that she didn't even got time to 'cheese' for the picture.



Ok, fish fish did bring something. :P My mum home cook Lu Rou and Lu Dan. She got one of the best Lu Dan that I hv ever had. Of course lah... mama's taste owez no. 1. :P



Oso, I asked my mum to bring the Yeo's chicken curry (full name Yeo Hiap Seng) for my frens to try. Ai yar~ she got the wrong brand, it's Wee's. Hmm... can't find good links for both brand. Strange. Anyway, Yeo's is a famous brand in Malaysia n Singapore. Whereas Wee's is a local brand in Sarawak. The one shown on the pic is Wee's. Look very much like Yeo's from outside.



After microwaving, here is the ready to eat version. The look, not bad. But the taste, I would still think Yeo's better. I like the Yeo's gravy and the potato more. Though I dun know bout Wee's chicken, but Yeo's chicken was good, according to my teenhood memories. :P

I learnt in UKM before that Sarawakians ranked No. 1 in consuming canned food in whole Malaysia. Hmm... I'm not sure how bout now.

Ok, to be continued in Pt 2.

14 Comments:

At 11:40 PM, Blogger ting-aling said...

Oh so it's called takoyaki..I'll make this one of these days..

 
At 2:50 AM, Blogger mmulibra said...

Haha fish,

No wonder you say all the foods in Japan is nice..cos all your photos are related to foods wor

 
At 5:39 AM, Blogger Comicdragon said...

HaPpY bIrThDaY FF :) Hope you cheer up soon ah. Hmmm first time ever posted a comment ... hahaha don't really know what to put up here too. Hmmm don't think too much as I always says. If unhappy ... go and eat something to cheer urself up ah.

VV

 
At 6:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

fish fish, is it your birthday? today? or soon?
anyway wish you first. happy birthday! ^_^

oh yeah, it's so cool cause your sister came to see you. and the food...yummo! i was eating as i read your blog. hehe...

winterx

 
At 9:08 AM, Blogger obachan said...

Your takoyaki looks so yummy! Good job!! (^^)b I like a little beni-shouga in takoyaki.

 
At 11:23 PM, Blogger fish fish said...

ting-aling: Yap, takoyaki. Happy making then. ;)

mmulibra: ya lor~ that's why this blog calls kuishinbo ar. :P

VV: Hi Kelvin, welcome. Thank you for the bd greeting. Really happy to hear ur call last nite. Hee.. I'm fine now, after a long long nite thinking. Yap, I'm goin to eat something later. Aargghhh... dun hv time to go to gym. Oh, btw, welcome to the comment part. :)

winterx: Thank you~ Yap, 4 Dec... ai yar, one year older liao. Hee... The day I was born, was oso a Saturday ler. ;) Hee... the food taste better when u eat it while reading my blog? :P

Obachan: Thank you. *blush* Happy to hear u said my takoyaki looks good. Hee... it's Mirian hard work to prepare a the batter. Benishoga, I like that too, but not on takoyaki, more on yakisoba or curry rice. :P Hey, did u know that the left over benishoga shiru is a good detergent for getting off the dirt in aluminium port?

 
At 4:32 AM, Blogger obachan said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 4:36 AM, Blogger obachan said...

No, I didn't know that! Interesting!

 
At 12:19 PM, Blogger ting-aling said...

Fish fish, do you have the basic ingredients and procedures for Takoyaki?

 
At 2:34 AM, Blogger 5xmom ~chanlilian.net~ said...

fish fish, thank you for sharing your food. It makes me hungry. Will be back for more mum-mum. Happy Belated Birthday!

 
At 9:42 AM, Blogger SiaoChaBoa said...

Hey.. Fish, fish .. :)
Sorry i missed yer birthday..! Happy belated birthday anyhow.. :) Hope you had a great day..!!!
i was trying to read your blog.. but i kept having to stop half way.. coz' i was so busy.. the last few days.. with the store and chloe.. but finally i finish reading part 1.. very interesting.. :)
The tako looks so yummy.. i wished i have that tako machine too.. then can make some.. ;)
Miss tako alot .. i used to eat them.. when i was back home.
Later..

 
At 3:44 PM, Blogger guy said...

happy B'day!The Korean pancake looked slightly different that the one my-ex Korean gf taught me.The ingredients differes i think.

Never knew S'wak was ranked No. 1 in consuming canned food.Lol.I miss chicken curry canned food.Reminds me of my camping days.And don't forget the Great Wall's corned beef that was my fav!

 
At 10:49 PM, Blogger cooknengr said...

Hey Fish Fish, ai see lah, asked mum to bring lu rou and lu tan from Kuching. How to declare at the airport ?
You make Takoyaki when we go to fish tank to "pai nee" ?
Good thing your elder siser is kakak, so when bad ass blackwidow goes to Nihonkok, you can blog her as " ta jieh" and when she's drunk , "sa ta jieh" (don't tell her, she really gets stupid when drunk, we'll get her drunk CNY 2005 with Cajun Hurricane, OK? )
Hey, I can get Yeo's curry here.

 
At 5:32 PM, Blogger fish fish said...

ting-aling: I haven't really made the takoyaki batter by myself. But actually it is simple. I found one good recipe in English for you, hope that will help. And another Japanese recipe with good pics inside, u can refer to the pics for clearer steps. :) Good luck in trying.

English: http://www.bento.com/tr-tako.html

Japanese: http://homepage3.nifty.com/appu/tako.htm

5xmom: Welcome to this blog. Glad u like it. :) Thanks for the bd greeting. Hope to c u here again.

Mrs Tweety: Thanks for the bd greeting. Plus 1 year liao. Nova Scotia dun hv takoyaki is it? Maybe u can try to make one, a modified one (not ball, but something like a pancake then? like a heart shape. heee... ur spouse and chloe will like it) from the recipe I gave to ting-aling above. Homemade one... Yah, I've been thinking to buy the tako machine.

guy: Hello, welcome! :) Read ur blog just now. The manga boy pic is cool. I'm not really sure bout Chijimi actually, as I mostly hv this version that I posted. Hey, u seem like so familiar with canned food as well... U from Malaysia? Yap, the corned beef was one of my favorite food when I was still a school gal. Mum owez cooked with onion. And I just made a corned beef sandwich. Or can finish one big plate of rice just with that.

cooknengr: Heee... u not worry blackwidow will ask u for a fight it she reads this huh... :P Can, I want to see how sa ta jie looks like too. maybe I should try to learn make takoyaki now... Err~~ my mum very geng in bringing stuff over one. She even brought me dragon fruit too. Yah... i oso very amazed how my sis get it thru. My sis said very easy wor...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home