Kuishinbo~Meow~

I eat so much until people call me Dr. Fish Fish.

Friday, December 10, 2004

Kakak in Japan (Pt 6, 1 Nov)

Ekiben (駅弁)

It was Monday, I hv to go to school cause got lab's seminar, so taught my Kakak to go to Hiroshima (広島) by her own. She got the JR Pass that I asked her to get in Malaysia.

That early morning, I brought her to the Shinkansen (新幹線)station to take the Shinkansen. We still hv some time before her Shinkansen arrived. So, I bought one ekiben for her to eat on the Shinkansen. Ekiben is lunch box that sell in railway station. The word Eki means station. Ben means lunch box.



Kakak chose this one. As the lady that was selling the ekiben said that it was just prepaid. So still warm warm. With a pretty blue box from outside. Very Kyoto. Kakak oso bought a can of coffee from the vending machine in the platform.



I think the ekiben was for 1050yen (RM38). Can't really remember. But it was very worth the price, with the pretty layout and good balance in nutrition.



Kakak waited excitedly for her first ride on Shinkansen. :P It will takes about 2.5 h for her to reach the Hiroshima city.



This is another pic of Kakak with Nozomi, the fastest bullet train in Japan, that came from the other direction.

I sent her off, seeing her getting ready to try her ekiben oledi. :P

Was praying hard that she didn't get lose for her one-day trip in Hiroshima and Miyajima (宮島)。Miyajima is a famous world heritage in Japan. Together with Amonohashidate (天橋立) in Kyoto prefecture and Matsushima (松島) in Miyagi prefecture, the three forms the famous Three Beautiful Sceneries in Japan.

I left school earlier in the late noon to sign up in main campus, and to buy some food for making a dinner. Haven't really cook a real home-taste dinner for a long time, as it is owez either I'm eating alone at home with everything in one bowl meal or settle my dinner in the school canteen with frens.

Fish Fish home-cook dinner

I finish preparing the dinner by 9pm. By my sis only reached home around 10pm. Thank goodness, she reached home safely. She got lost in between the trip, but it was a good trip for her. She ate the famous food, kaki (牡蠣)(oyster) in Hiroshima. But she was kind of disappointed as she was hoping for a raw one, but she ordered a boiled one. Heee...

Ok, these are a few simple things that I cooked for that nite.



First I bought a pack of Ebiimo (海老芋)(Prawn Taro) in Kyoto Takashimaya (京都高島屋). It was a very expensive imo. The high quality one was like 2 for 1500yen (RM54). I bought the cheaper one, this pack was for 680yen (RM25).

I had my first Ebiimo during the Bounenkai (忘年会)(Year End Dinner) last year. Since then, I couldn't forget the taste. It was one of the most delicious taro I hv ever had. The texture and the taste... just simply made me fall in love with it at 1st sight. It only available in cold season.

I was so happy to see it in Takashimaya fresh market.



I've never made one by myself actually. But I tried to do as what a sensei in my lab told me. And so, it turned into something like the above pic. ;) Not bad looking huh. :P

Here is a very simple way how I do the Ebiimo.
1. Peel off the skin.
2. Cut into wedges.
3. Let them boil for around 30min in medium heat with a bit of salt inside the boiling water.
4. Take them out, let the extra water drips to dry the surface of the cooked Ebiimo.
5. Get some glutinous rice flour to coat the Ebiimo. (I didn't hv glutinous rice flour at that time, so I used potato starch. It was not bad, but didn't turn out to be a crunchy coating).
6. Fry in hot oil for around 2~3 min, and take them out.
7. Wipe away extra oil and ready to be served.



I oso made one kabocha salada (南瓜サラダ)(pumpkin salad). This one was extremely simple.

1. Cut the cleaned pumpkin into big chunk with skin on.
2. Boil in boiling water with a little bit of salt inside.
3. After the centre of the pumpkin chunk oso cook, take out the pumpkin and let it dry by dripping off extra water.
4. Press lightly the pumpkin with a fork to make some part smash throughly and some part remain small chunk.
5. Let in cool down. Then add in mayonnaise.
6. Mix the whole thing well.
7. Put into refridge to cool it until serving time.

I put some raisin as decoration. The final product is as above.



Takashimaya was having Hokkaido's Food Exhibition that time. Kakak told me she wanted to eat meat. So for her, I found some good pork frankfurt and ham. The 2 were for 1050yen. I just grilled the frankfurt inside the oven to be ready to serve. And the ham, i let her bring back to Kuching.

Hee... can't tell u the taste, cause I didn't taste it at all. Yah... it would be a great place for my kakak that time if she was there with me. Cause got a lot of delicious meat for free tasting. Fish Fish, nah~ I just bought them with my sense. :P Anyway, when I was confused which one to buy, a lady that stood beside me was tasting, she got so excited and touched with the frankfurt. So, I just bought that. :P

Well, the whole dinner was a great thing for my Kakak. She just love the dinner. I oso made one miso soup, with a lot of nice nice veggie inside. Forgot to take pic for that. She enjoyed the Ebiimo unique densed texture, kabocha salad nice taste, juicy baked frankfurt, nice soft white Japanese rice and the very warming miso soup. Heee... she had 2 bowls of rice for that nite. :P Ai yah~ when someone enjoying ur food, it really motivates u to cook more. I guess that's why I like to cook a lot when I have guests at home.



After the dinner, I chose to have dragon fruit as after-meal dessert. This is how a dragon fruit look from outside. The scientific name is Hylocereus undatus. It is oso being known as Pitahaya or Strawberry Pear. The exact origin is unknown, but is likely from Southern Mexico through Belize, Guatemala, El Salvador and Costa Rica. It is cultivated around the world in tropical regions.

The common one that can be seen in Kuching market is a white version one. Mum dun know how managed to find a fruit orchard that cultivate red flesh one cause she knows I love red dragon fruit. So she booked the fruit a few weeks earlier with the owner, and asked my sis to bring over for me. :D Very very happy to see the fruits.



See the attracting red colour of the flesh? Yap... I just love to see the colour. And it has a better balance of sweetness and sourness if compared to a white one. The texture and the taste of dragon fruit very much like a kiwi. Ar~ I'm thinking to eat one now... :( But I hv finished all that my sis brought for me.

10 Comments:

At 8:18 PM, Blogger SiaoChaBoa said...

Ahhhhhhh.. love those bullet trains... but expensive nei..!!!??!!
The lunch box look so pretty.. :) I always tell everyone.. that everything is so prettily packed up in Japan..:) makes it so hard to open up and eat them.. :(
I loved prawn taro too.. but i had them in tokyo.. :)
Love the pumpkin salad .. and love the raisins.. :) Seen dragonfruit many times.. but never tried it.. those that i've seen were white in color inside. Not very much into pork anything.. so will give the meat a miss.. :)

 
At 10:27 PM, Blogger Dennis said...

Wow I didn't know dragon fruit are grown in Malaysia. First time I had them were in Vietnam. They're delicious, very sweet. Can't find them here. <:o(

 
At 11:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

thankies for the encouragement and whatnot. i won't give up. one day i WILL go there. i know it...
ok... more like i hope to go there one day.heh... =p

yeah, those lunch boxes are always packed up so nicely. =)just love japanese food. but haven't had any in ages. =(

winterx

 
At 12:19 AM, Blogger Dennis said...

Hey fish fish, by the way, those dishes you made looks yummy. Those Ebiimo sure are expensive. Are they like taro?

 
At 12:45 AM, Blogger fish fish said...

Mrs Tweety: My sis used JR pass, ~RM1000 for 7 days free ride with bullet train, normal train, bus and ship of JR. Very worth. Yah~ prawn taro very nice. :P Hey, u must try the dragon fruit one day. The red one, strongly recommended. Hee... Japanese foods like an art. Really an art...

Dennis: Malaysia actually import dragon fruit mostly from Vietnam. But recently, Kuching oso hv people starting cultivate it. I guess the weather fixs the fruit, sweet~ Woohoo!! Hardly wait till next year go home to eat all those yummy yummy tropical fruits. Just love~ them. I must go to Vietnam one day too for the foods. Oh, thanks for liking my cook look. :P I'm not a lousy cook, definitely not as good as Phan. ;) Cukup makan sahaja. (a colloquial way of saying 'just pass'). Ebiimo sweeter and more density than taro. Never see it in Malaysia.

winterx: hey dear... ganbatte!! oh, by the way, some Japanese foods are very easy to be prepared. Can try to make one if u like cooking. :)

 
At 9:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

fish fish, what a hearty dinner that was! The taro is so expensive, but I'm sure it's as delicious as you described. I'm gonna try making the pumpkin salad some day; sounds yummy yet easy to make! :)

julia
http://www.aromacookery.com

 
At 9:53 AM, Blogger cooknengr said...

Hey Fish Fish, Sarawak also has a Dragon Fruit farm. My uncle's friend has this hugh place in Sarikei planting Dragon fruits.I was there in 1997.
I also try to plant dragon fruit at our office ( we have a large lot), so far it's half dead. Take about 3 years before it start bearing fruit.

 
At 5:54 PM, Blogger fish fish said...

Julia: Heee... happy trying for the kabocha salad. Tell me bout ur comment on the salad then. :)

cooknengr: Geee... tat's a good info for me. I personally really think Sarawak has a very good potential for cultivation of dragon fruit considering the land and the weather. ;) My grandma oso plants one now, becoz of fish fish. :P Hey, maybe u should try to plant it in ur Kch's home, rather than in US ler.

 
At 6:56 PM, Blogger pinkcocoa said...

hi hi!
ff is a very good cook ne~
In Taiwan, there is a similar to kobacha salada but using normal potato with hard boiled eggs added. I love raisins in my salad! :-)
Sure wish I could taste some ebiimo. I wonder why they are so expensive.....

 
At 12:07 AM, Blogger fish fish said...

Pinkcocoa: TQ dear. *Blush* Hee... Btw, the potato and egg salad, in Japan they call it Poteto Sarada. They use Japanese cucumber as well. One of my favorite salad. And fish fish has her own recipe for that. :P U know curry puff? I made one potato salad puff from this curry puff idea. Yummy!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home