Kuishinbo~Meow~

I eat so much until people call me Dr. Fish Fish.

Sunday, December 19, 2004

Kakak in Japan (Pt 9, Nov 3)

Back to my Kakak in Japan talk today. :P

Uji's scene

Decided to bring Kakak to hv one-day shopping in Osaka.



This is Kakak with a statue based on Genji Monogatari (源氏物語)(The Tale of Genji) by Murasaki Shikibu (紫式部). Uji has a Genji Monogatari Museum (源氏物語ミュージアム). So, everywhere, u can see statues based on this long tale here and there in Uji (宇治). Genji Monogatari is the best known example of Heian women's literature.



Sis with Uji river as background.

Osaka One-day Trip (1)

When we were changing train line in Osaka, Kakak saw a shop selling curry bun. She wanted to try one.



Kakak lining up for hot and yummy curry bun. ;) Well, curry bun in Japan usually not spicy, but with a good fragrance. I didn't like it so much in the beginning. But now I am kind of hooked to that. I usually will judge a bakery shop whether it is a good one or not by trying its curry bun. :P Sorry, no pic for the curry bun, my Kakak finished the bun too fast.

We reached Nanba (難波), a busy shopping area in Osaka. Just next to Denden Town (でんでんタウン), a famous electrical street in Osaka called Nipponbashi (日本橋).



I brought my Kakak to try my favorite Takoyaki (たこ焼き) stall, the best takoyaki I hv ever tried. Not becoz it has big tako chunk inside, but the tako ball itself really worth 2 thumbs up. Kind of surprised me how the shop has expanded for omost a year I didn't eat it. The shop name is Wanaka (わなか).

See the crowd? Long queue in Japan for food is a guarantee sign 'Good food'.



Hee... the guys preparing the Takoyaki were cutes. :P And the takoyaki griller definitely much bigger that the one homecook size by Mirian. My eyes got so busy seeing his fast hand turn and turn and turn the balls.



I ordered one with cheese topping with 9 takoyaki. I think it was for 400yen (50yen was for the cheese). Mmmm~~~ the taste was just marvellous. Still as nice as the old time. Even Kakak oso said it was good. Even fish fish writing this now, she is drooling~~



Kakak with Sennichimae (千日前) street at the back. See the guy on her right? He was holding a signboard making publication for a Takoyaki shop. Poor guy, after an hr later we past thru him again, he was still there. Well, I dun know how many Takoyaki shops are there in Osaka, too many to count. Remember... Osaka Meibutsu (名物, famous thing) - Okonomiyaki(お好み焼) and Takoyaki(たこ焼き). ;)



We oso went to Doguyasuji (道具屋筋), a famous long narrow street in Namba area that sells different types of tools. Just name it, they got it.



Heee... Kakak with the BIG Manekin Neko (招金猫)(Wealth Beckoning Cat). If you see carefully, some wave on the right hand, and some on the left. The right hand waving means 'Beckoning for Money'(金運招福) whereas the left hand waving means 'Beckoning for People'(千客万来). Kekeke... so, fish fish think best if get 2, one waves on right, and one waves on left. Got money got people. ;) Actually got different meanings for different colours as well. Usually is white, red or black. But sorry... I dun know wat each colour means. :P



After the Doguyasuji, we went to another favorite shop of mine in tat area - Yoshimoto Udon Daiou (よしもとうどん大王). It is belonged to Yoshimoto Club (よしもと倶楽部). This shop mainly sells udon. But I only had once of the udon. I got so scared of udon oledi, ever since last year lab's summer trip was Udon Kuidaore (うどん食い倒れ)(Eat udon till u drop).

Just a little info here. In Japan, they like to put a lot of things with Nihon Sandai _ _ (日本三大OO), the _ _ means different things. Such as 3 famous scenes, 3 famous festivals, 3 famous beef etc... They seem to like the figure 3 so much. So, for udon, they oso hv the 3 Famous Udon. These 3 are Sanuki Udon (讃岐うどん) from Kagawa (香川), Inaniwa Udon (稲庭うどん) from Akita (秋田) and Mizuzawa Udon (水沢うどん) from Gunma (群馬). I've tried Sanuki Udon and Inaniwa Udon. The one that I hv scared of was Sanuki Udon. But I love~~ Inaniwa Udon. Can't get easily in Kyoto area. So far, I've only tried twice. But I'm goin to hv another one is this coming Wednesday. ;) Oso, I hope I can try Mizuzawa Udon as well someday. Heee... fish fish likes to conquer the 'Nihon Sandai'. :P



This shop serves Sanuki Udon. Fish Fish skipped that. So do my Kakak. I came here for the tempura. And Kakak saw seasonal curry rice, she ordered one, mainly becoz of the Hanjuku Tamago (半熟卵)(Half-boiled egg). Think it was for 260yen only (RM9.50).



:P These were the tempura I took. Half-boiled egg, Gobo Kakiage (牛蒡かき揚げ)(fried burdock strips) and Nasu (茄子)(eggplant) for myself. And Chikuwa (竹輪)(a tube-shaped fish paste cake) for Kakak.

Mmm~~ the deep-fried half boiled egg was just great. Crunchy coating wrapped the whole egg... when u bite on it... The creamy egg york will melt into ur mouth. And yet, the egg white was cook enough to support the egg yolk. Amazing!

Kakak was telling me a guy seated next to us keep looking at me. Keypo Kakak, if u dun see him, how do u know he looks here? Hai yah~ sakai guy oso... must hv not seen some Kuishinbo gal like me. Kekeke...

Burp!!! That's wat happened to Kakak n me after we came out from the shop.

8 Comments:

At 12:02 AM, Blogger husky9 said...

takoyaki...yummie...

 
At 7:05 AM, Blogger Evil Jonny said...

Ohhh, never tried fried burdock before. What was the texture and taste like??? Thanks for all your photos -- they're great! Say hi to kakkak for me. By the way, I tried making sambal.. check out my blog.

 
At 7:18 AM, Blogger cooknengr said...

Hey Fish Fish, did you "slurp" the udon like customers ? They always apologize before eating udon" So solly, I make noise eating udon".
Hmm, kakak "hiaw" hoh ?

 
At 7:44 AM, Blogger obachan said...

Takoyaki+sauce+mayo+cheese!!! Ahhhhhhhh!!! Could be the highest calorie food in Japan ;P But I know very well how good they are...

 
At 6:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Takoyaki ga suki! eto,... sanfuranshisuko no takoyaki wa takai desu. USD4 for 6. ~blackwidow

 
At 7:58 PM, Blogger fish fish said...

husky9: Hi, welcome to Kuishinbo~Meow~. Yap... the takoyaki yum yum~ Hey, I like your blog too... especially the cheese cake.

Jonny: U should really try to make on deep-fried burdock with the one from ur backyard. ;) It's marvellous. Ok, I'll look for ur sambal later on this evening. Today a bit busy.

cooknengr: Nop nop, remember... fish fish is a M'sian meow. How do u expect her to make noise like that. That's the culture I still can't adapt to myself yet. Maybe in future. :P They said with the 'slurping', it tastes much more delicious wor~ Hehe... try to tell tat to my Kakak by urself next time, I would like to see how her reaction is. kekeke... Btw, wait till u see her frens... Haha!!!

obachan: Unluckily, these are the high calorie combination that fish fish dun hv the immune system for it. *sigh*

blackwidow: *Hugs* Welcome dear. Nice to see ur comment. ;) Kyo no nihongo wa pittari desu~ Yoku yatta yo!

 
At 11:34 AM, Blogger SiaoChaBoa said...

Fish, Fish.. i love takos..!!!!

 
At 6:25 PM, Blogger fish fish said...

Fish Fish love Takoyaki without Tako. Kekeke... Give the takos to Mrs Tweety. Grab the Yaki from Mrs Tweety. :P

 

Post a Comment

<< Home