Kuishinbo~Meow~

I eat so much until people call me Dr. Fish Fish.

Sunday, December 26, 2004

Sumatera Offshore Earthquake 26 Dec 2004

A magnitude 9.0 earthquake triggered tsunamis across Asia on Sunday, December 26, 2004. According to the latest news by Asahi.com and Yomiuri On-Line, the number of killed has excessed 13000 people involving around 10 countries, and the number is still increasing. Indonesia, Sri Lanka and India, were the 3 countries most seriously damaged. And the tidal waves even reaching Africa.

This was the 4th strongest earthquake ever happened since 1900. The energy from the magnitude 9.0 was 300 times stronger than the one in Hanshin-Awaji Earthquake. Japan itself, has never experienced earthquake magnitude more than 8.0 yet.

My sensei was telling me in 1960 when the great earthquake of magnitude 9.5 happened in Chile, this largest earthquake in the world didn't care much by Japan at that moment. However, after 22 hrs, the tidal wave reached Japan which is 17000 km apart and caused around 140 deaths and $50 million damage. Ever since, the tsunami warning network between the circum-Pacific earthquake belt was established to inform the regions of the Pacific area. However, there is no such system among the victim regions when Sumatera Offshore Earthquake happened this time.

I used to like the word tsunami very much, because of 'Tsunami' song by Southern All Star (サザンオールスターズ). But now, though I still like the song, but the word Tsunami has turned into something different to me. Just like the word 'earthquake' in my dictionary not the same anymore ever since I started to experience the scary feeling when earthquake on.

Every year I made a New Year resolution for the world peace. Next year, please... be a peaceful year from natural disaster... Will 'you' hear that?

5 Comments:

At 11:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fish fish,

I heard Penang's beach got hit badly too. My little brother who is studying at the university there, was thinking of going to the beach that day. Thank God he did not. I think Sumatra itself had shielded West Malaysia and Singapore from the major impact of these Tsunami waves. I would really be scared if the tsunami hit these countries since I have family there. I think Asia should work together to set up a warning system to warn people of such attacks so that people can prepare.

Phan.

 
At 12:00 AM, Blogger mmulibra said...

Yup, ASEAN countries should have a common disaster warning system, like what Japan has. Everytime an earthquake struck, a warning should be sent to all neighbouring countries and be prepared for aftershock of earthquake eg. tsunami.

Now we know that we can never underestimate the power of mother nature. We should always be prepared for everything.

 
At 9:41 PM, Blogger fish fish said...

Dear Phan n mmulibra: Yap, I totally agree with both of you. But not only limited to the ASEAN regions, but the countries around Indian Ocean. Before this, who would have ever thought Tsunami will attack Malaysia?? Just imagine the Tsunami reached Kenya n Somalia, even the territory of Antarctic. Will update my talk on this earthquake later, need to find the info how to do the donation.

 
At 9:49 PM, Blogger Santos said...

fish fish
donation information:tsunami help

 
At 11:29 PM, Blogger fish fish said...

Dear Santos, thanks a lot. Will put it up now.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home