Kuishinbo~Meow~

I eat so much until people call me Dr. Fish Fish.

Sunday, January 09, 2005

Ippudo Ramen (21 Nov)

Today, fish fish goin to review bout a famous ramen shop that I've been in Nov. I've talked bout 2 other ramen shops here and here. This shop is called Ippudo (一風堂), a famous chained Hakata (博多) style ramen shop. This shop started the business in 1985 in Hakata, Kyushu area. Ever since then, the branches spreading one by one thru the whole Japan. Today it has becoming one of the most famous Kyushu ramen shop.

Hakata ramen soup base basically using pork. So, instead of assari (light) flavour, it is more to the kotteri (heavy) style. Fish Fish usually didn't like tonkotsu (豚骨, pork bone) ramen soup, cause it is too stinky and heavy for me. But, since I hv seen tv introducing this shop a few times, and oso frens were mentioning to me how good it is... I decided to give it a try.

So, as usual, I pulled my kaki makan, Sylvia to go with me. :P



This was the 2nd time Sylvia went there. She really liked it for the 1st time. See how happy she was in front of the Ippudo? We went there before lunch time, so, still not much people. Good. :)



Once went inside the shop, I like it. It was not the usual ramen shop with a very strong pork smell. The layout of the restaurant makes one can enjoy the ramen in a very relaxing atmosphere.



Design of the wall where we were facing. Very Kyoto style.



Both of us ordered Akamaru Zenbu Hairi (赤丸全部入り) which is the Kansai area limited edition. The Aka was because of the spicy egg with red miso as shown in the middle of this pic. Zenbu Hairi means with all the ingredient. It was quite expensive for ramen. I forgot exactly how much, think it was for 1150yen (RM41). Inside got moyashi (もやし, beansprouts), mentaiko (明太子, spicy fish egg), kikurage (きくらげ, Jew's ear), Hanjuku Nitamago (半熟煮卵, half-boiled egg) and Baraniku Cha Shu (ばら肉チャーシュー, roasted boned rib of pork). I gave the Char Siew to Sylvia.



It oso came with the negi (葱, leek) and nori (海苔, seaweed). Ah~ I dun eat negi. Just left it there.



The shop used hosomen (細めん, thin noodle). U can either order the noodle to be Katame (固め, andante), Futsu (普通, normal) or Yawarakai (軟らかい, soft). We had the futsu one. And it was just to the right point. I love the soup. It didn't have the smelly porky taste that usually hv inside tonkotsu based ramen.



Fish Fish got really excited when see these pickles were actually for Tabehodai (食べ放題, eat as much as you can). Left to right: Moyashi, Takana (高菜, leaf mustard) and Benishoga (紅生姜, red ginger). I like the takana the best.



The gist of a ramen for fish fish, a good Hanjuku Tamago. It wouldn't be a complete for me without this half-boiled egg. I love~ the way the Japanese do the Hanjuku Tamago. The egg white was cooked in a well-done way, but the egg york remain its creamy richy melty taste. Mmmmm~ yamitsuki! (病み付き, addicting).



Busy chefs with non-stop hands getting bowl by bowl ready. Geee... wonder how much profit they earn for one day. :P



Wow!! It was such a long Q when we came out from the shop. Glad we went there early. Next time if I go, I will know what topping shoudl I ask for. ;) Cheaper too then.

Slurp~~ I'm goin home to cook my dinner now. :P

Tata.

25 Comments:

At 4:14 AM, Blogger Saffron said...

I just ate but now I'm all hungry again. If my diet goes kaput it's all your fault. ;)

 
At 8:31 AM, Blogger SiaoChaBoa said...

So yummy.. fish, fish.. :) i always wonder how they do it.. the egg..!! inside soft and otherside well done...??

 
At 8:32 AM, Blogger SiaoChaBoa said...

Fish, fish.. :)
I was taught that a good ramen.. is all about the broth..?? right..??? and i also love the pickles.. i can eat them.. till i'm full.. :)

 
At 8:33 AM, Blogger SiaoChaBoa said...

Sometimes wanna tapow if can .. the pickles.. hehhe!! but don't wanna look so el cheapo... so never lor.. ;)

 
At 8:42 AM, Blogger Acrix said...

Nice blog. Every entry is fantastic :P Keep It UP!

 
At 11:55 AM, Blogger cooknengr said...

Hey Fish Fish, can bring a pice of Chea Cheng Japanese Char Shiew back to Kuching or not ? 7 Hr flight, should still be ok bah, even if it's stale, I'll try. I gonna have upset stomach for at least a week anyway, happens every trip.

 
At 12:23 PM, Blogger Ben said...

Fantastic ramen - I'll start saving my pennies to get there! :)

 
At 7:01 PM, Blogger ~AnGeL~ said...

Wei FF, I took my mum n sis to "yat fong tong" for their first meal in Japan. Hehe.. and since we were taking photos they knew that we were tourists.. so they gave us special treatment.. ahahaha.. I love the ramen. My mum immediately fell in love with ramen and whenever she was hungry during her trip here she asked for ramen. But I warned her that the other ramen will not be as good as the first coz I already brought her to the best ramen shop in town!!! :)

 
At 7:05 PM, Blogger pinkcocoa said...

hey ff
The soup looks so thick and creamy!!! I am the weird noodle eater. I usually finish the soup and leave some noodle behind :p
Your post just reminded me I have to post about the ramen shops in Sydney.

 
At 7:08 PM, Blogger Evil Jonny said...

Pork smell is too heavy for Jonny Angel (niku no nai, kudasaiiiii) but thanks for inviting me inside.. Jonny Angel will never go in there but is so curious to see it!

 
At 8:50 PM, Blogger fish fish said...

Saffron: Hello~ fish fish has kaput her own diet oledi after this post. It was really a very good ramen. Yum~

Mrs Tweety: Yap yap, the egg was so good. Neither do I know how to make one. Too lazy to learn too for one person eating. :P Yes, the soup is the gist to the ramen. Good ramen owez have very reputable soup. ;) Kekeke... next time u come, I bring you to the pickles shop in Kyoto... vast varities of pickles u can ever imagine. :P

Acrix: Welcome. Angel + Alcohol addict. welcome to Food and Fun addict site. ;)

cooknengr: The instant one sell in depato. A whole block. If you dun mind, I will buy that kind for you to try. Seem like a famous brand. :P Aiyar~ dun know can bring on flight or not, tak halal... kekeke...

BHR: Hope to hear you travelling here soon. I believe Japan will hv a very unique beauty under BHR's eyes. ;) Spring n autumn will be the best.

Angel: Wei~ how is ur flu liao ar? Ai yar~ so the ramen shop u mentioned in ur blog is Yat Fong Tong ar. Good choice. I brought my mum to the wrong ramen shop last time. Bad reputation for her. Must bring her to a good one next time.

Pinkcocoa: Kekeke... u know wat, fish fish owez finish any kind of soup no matter how much it is. My 'water pail' nick name dun come for no reason. :P Post ur ramen... I want to see Sydney ramen... ;)

Jonny: Dun worry... if fish fish can take it, Jonny Angel will be able to take it too.

 
At 9:39 PM, Blogger Evil Jonny said...

No no, Jonny Angel can never eat pork... no way, maaan! ;-)

 
At 11:48 PM, Blogger cooknengr said...

Hey Fish Fish, good deal, thanks in advance, already bought you the freeze dried fruit that starts with an "L". Anything other stuff do you want from US ?

 
At 12:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hakata ramen!!! I want!!! Sigh, fish fish , you are so lucky.

ST
http://cheateat.typepad.com

 
At 1:54 AM, Blogger G said...

WOW, amazing photos ... especially the leaves in the pond and the food pics, yummm. Thanks so much for sharing :)

 
At 6:47 AM, Blogger cooknengr said...

Hey Fish Fish, the Char Shiew Pork should not have any problem clearing Kastom di Raja Malaysia. The package says 豚肉, juts tell the officer, ini...ikan Dolphin...check kamus, 海豚 betol lah.

 
At 5:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

looking at the photo, i can tell, it's good ramen. i love ramen, but over here in SF, ramen sucks. the noddle is too "depato", not home made. But there is one ramen place in san mateo(bay area), very good. have to wait in line. sometime, we waited for so long...1.5 hour, finally seat down,... the waitress told us, soup base is out!! ahhhhhh!!!!! blackwidow

 
At 9:58 PM, Blogger fish fish said...

cookengr: Smart head!! Heee... Btw, wat is the 'L' fruit? Not lychee or longan rite? No worry, fish fish will figure a way to bring u the Char Siew. Hope u will like it. U know I dun eat meat, can't guarantee the taste. Try to get a good one though.

ST: Yap... I do think I was very shiawase at that moment. :) The food in ur blog even more dribble ler~ :P

G: Hello G, welcome! Thanks for dropping by. Glad you like the leaf pics. Fish Fish favorite too. Hope to c u again around. :)

Blackwidow: Ee? How come the staff didn't tell you beforehand one? Hey, come to Kyoto one day, fish fish bring you to eat like crazy. ;)

 
At 7:17 AM, Blogger cooknengr said...

Hey Fish Fish, Liew Lian ! unless I can find freezed dry Lambutan :)

 
At 7:17 AM, Blogger cooknengr said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 7:17 AM, Blogger cooknengr said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 8:47 PM, Blogger fish fish said...

Kekeke.. ic.. Liu Lian. I was thinking that too... but since you said start with a 'L'... Didn't expect you were telling me the Han Yu Pin Yin. Thanks. Make sure the smell won't leak. :P

 
At 9:33 PM, Blogger cooknengr said...

Hey Fish Fish, not Han Yu Pin Yin, just trying to see if Fish Fish fast enought to catch Ta ker using the Ah Lian Beauty Queen joke :" Name three fruits that starts with"L" "...may be the joke already keuh see liau

 
At 11:42 PM, Blogger fish fish said...

Too bad.. fish fish dun know this kueh see joke. Maybe u can tell fish fish that. ;)

 
At 8:20 AM, Blogger Ruth Campbell said...

I love Ippudo. They're coming to NYC! Check out the picture of the soon to be open shop at ippudonyc.com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home