Kuishinbo~Meow~

I eat so much until people call me Dr. Fish Fish.

Friday, February 25, 2005

CNY Eve (Feb 8, Pt 1)

It was the busiest day before CNY for mum and me. Mum busy preparing, I busy accompanying, be her shopping bags carrying gal, together with Bert Bert. :P

We went to 3rd mile market to do final shopping for the things needed.



Mum bought a few grated coconut for santan (coconut milk) to cook curry. As for fish fish, the thing that attracted me alot from these old coconuts were something else. I got 2 nice one for free. :P



Kekeke... any idea oledi what is this? I'm not sure what to call in other languages, but in Hakka we call it Zai Pong (a spongy ball that you will get from the middle of old coconut). Back to the old days, grated coconut had to be prepared by our ownselves. When I was a kid, whenever my mum started to grate old coconut for the santan, I would stand beside so that I can be the one that have a taste of this yummilicious.

Bert Bert had never eaten this stuff. He didn't even know has such a thing. At first I wanted to give the small ball to him, but then, after I tried half of the small one, I decided to give him half of my bigger one too. Small one was a bit too young, tasteless except for the spongy texture. The bigger one was just to the right size for its sweetness, texture and water content. Ar~ it was such an enjoyable moment when I chewed slowly on this Zai Pong. However, not to get a too big one, as it would be too old and taste like oxidated oil stuff as well.

Hey! Ever tried Zai Pong? If not, maybe you should try at least once. ;)



When we reached home, 2 of my mum's gals have started to prepare ingredients for cooking things for 1st day of CNY. They are the one who help to cook halal foods for us every year.



A nice Malay cooking can never lack of these things. Shallot (bawang merah), lemon grass (serai), ginger (halia), turmeric (kunyit) and garlic (bawang putih).



These were half of the beef that my mum bought yesterday. In Sarawak, the Malay usually would call beef 'daging' only rather than 'daging lembu', as beef are there very common daily meat beside chicken.



Mum oso bought 15kg of 'manok' (Sarawakian way of saying chicken instead of the normal saying 'ayam').

Under the 2 gals magic hands, these things turned into...





A drooling pot of curry beef.



Irresistable daging masak kicap (beef cooked in sweetened soy sauce style)...



And golden chunks of fried manok that have marinated well with different kinds of spices.

Ah ha! While the adults busy preparing for tomolo...



Our kiasu little monkey oso want to join the festival. See how he enjoyed his pom pom to 洗白白 (wash clean clean)... His bathing basin a bit small for him liao. Keep kicking his legs for the whole process...



Arent's the mummy a sweet lady? "Hello dear~ come, give me a nice 'cheese'. "



"Ah~ I'm feeling very refresing now. Kekeke... mummy, quick quick... my cloth ler? Me shy shy ar~"



Now, all I have to do is to learn to smile as much as I can for tomorrow. How much Ang Pow do you think I would get for my 1st CNY then? ;)

Kekeke...

16 Comments:

At 6:29 PM, Blogger MunKit said...

yeah i remember eating zaipong back when i was young :) my grandpa is a grocery seller

 
At 7:56 PM, Blogger Saffron said...

OMG, baby so cute!! More pics more pics!!

 
At 10:57 PM, Blogger ting-aling said...

Ah, so you're home!

 
At 3:18 AM, Blogger cooknengr said...

hey fish fish, hope you had a nice trip back to Japan.

Eh, next time no wearing hat in fish fish house, so I'll be served daging, ayam.....not just koropok :)

zaipong reminds me the song: Ba ba Black sheep :)

Aiyoh, little mokey so cute, but when ta ker took picture like that at 1 year old, daddy had to use a cartoon elephant instead of a smiley :) naught thought.

 
At 10:33 AM, Anonymous Julia said...

Hey, I never knew that zai pong thingy could be eaten. We always threw it away. What a waste! Your nephew is so cute, fish fish. Guess he takes after you. :)

 
At 3:11 PM, Blogger Yuen Li said...

I dunno whether I missed a post or whether I'm being blur: who's the kid, and who's the lady bathing him? I presume latter is former's mummy...

 
At 9:24 PM, Blogger xes said...

keke poor baby.. in 20 years time, you guys would start digging out his naked photos to show people.

 
At 12:32 AM, Blogger fish fish said...

munkit : Geee... how lucky!

saffron : More kids' pics to follow up. ;)

ting-aling : Nope, I left home again~ *sigh*

cooknengr : Ai yor~ Da Ge, I did ask you to come on the 1st day, rite? But u didn't ar~ all the good food oledi finished liao. Hehhehee... Yes sir Yes sir 3 bags wool... I miss her. Geee... ur daddy was much more creative than ff. Got pic to show me or not. :P

Julia : Try the zaipong next time ar~ Anson takes after my whole family. ;)

Yuen Li : Blur blur~ he is my nephew, and that's my sis-in-law. ;) He was posted here... with ur comment oso ler~ :P

http://kuishinbomeow.blogspot.com/2004/12/happy-new-year-d.html

xes : I didn't want him to blame me in 18 years time, that's why I put on the smiley. ;)

 
At 8:21 AM, Blogger 5xmom ~chanlilian.net~ said...

Awww...fish fish, I want to cry liao. The Zai Pong (called tombong in Hokkien) used to be my favourite because we lived in kampong and coconut is plenty. I missed it so bad now..... Thanks for bringing back this memory. Luv ya!

 
At 3:32 PM, Blogger Yuen Li said...

Oooohhh... I didn't recognise-lah, coz his mummy looks different from her wedding pic... *blush*

 
At 6:02 PM, Blogger pinkcocoa said...

hey ff
me never see Zai Pong before lei. Actually i dont even know if granny grated her own coconut when we were young. We were never really allowed into the kitchen. heeh too noti that's why lor!

The curry looks yum! I want some to top my curry maggi mee! You know I asked ShinChan to bring back 1 pack of curry maggi mee when he went to KL. hehe. I also asked him to buy me Chipsmore cookies. My favourite ar!

 
At 11:01 PM, Blogger fish fish said...

5xmom : Wow lucky u! One thing I like bout Kampung is those coconut trees scene. :) It's great!

Yuen Li : Have you ever seen any bride that look exactly like their normal time? I got some frens that their wedding pics, I totally couldn't recognize them. :P

Pinkcocoa : Hey dear, Shin Chan back to Aus oledi? If not yet, remind him to bring another type of instant noodle.. Mamee Premium Curry... Try it, I believe you will like it. ;)

 
At 3:29 AM, Blogger SiaoChaBoa said...

Hey..Ff,
I remember i used to be carry gal for my mom too.. on CNY eve.. and i HATED it.. so heavyyyyy..!! can die..!!! but then we take trishaw home.. fun!!
Never had zaipong before.. we always buy our coconut from mamak store... and my mom not the greatest cook.. so you get the drift right..?? hehe!!
Nephew so cute..!!

 
At 8:47 AM, Blogger obachan said...

The chicken and beef!! Amazing. Just amazing.

 
At 7:30 AM, Blogger fish fish said...

Mrs T : Geee... go back shopping by trishaw? I want too!!

Obachan : Yap yap... according to my 10 years ago memory, their cookings are really fantastic. :)

 
At 3:21 AM, Blogger TUTU said...

結婚 悩み
お見合いパーティー 大阪
海水魚 通販
東横線 土地
貸事務所
エアコン 工事
エルメス 財布
インテリア
法律相談
株 投資
J-Payment
お見合いパーティー
任意整理
ハワイ航空券
オフィス レイアウト変更
ハクビ
home loans
自己破産 無料相談
ダビング サービス
株式新聞
ロレックス 修理
セキュリティーキー
折込チラシ
老人ホーム 神奈川
渋谷 賃貸
カイロプラクティック学校
中古 厨房機器
バイク便 東京
賃貸川西
ECサイト 構築 システム
ピアノ レンタル
教員募集
債務整理 相談
埼玉 一戸建て
小さいサイズの靴
スペシャルティコーヒー
先物取引
福生市 不動産
募金
三軒茶屋 不動産
声楽教室
RMT
リロケーション
過払い
婚活 悩み
フランチャイズ カフェ
電動工具
ギフト ベビー
ダイビング ツアー
リノベーションマンション
子宮腺筋症 漢方
クロエ バッグ
店舗デザイン 東京
東京 皮膚科
レーザー脱毛
簿記 通信
志木 不動産
乳がん
子宮がん
貸オフィス
ビジネス英語
外資 英語
ナース用品
飲食 求人
立川市 一戸建て
調布市 一戸建て
八王子市 一戸建て
福生市 一戸建て
あきる野市 一戸建て
無月経 漢方

 

Post a Comment

<< Home