Kuishinbo~Meow~

I eat so much until people call me Dr. Fish Fish.

Saturday, February 26, 2005

CNY Eve (Feb 8, Pt 2)

Since few years back, my family changed our tradition for having reunion dinner into reunion lunch, so that mum wouldn't have to be so hectic every CNY eve.

These are the foods mum have cooked for welcoming Rooster year.



HUGE plates of mixed vege. I ate a lot of this. Yum Yum~~ Haven't enjoyed mum's mixed vege for a long time liao.



She oso made a big pot of 5 spices pork 2 days ago. Making this dish took up a whole day. Instead of the normal 5 spices duck, she prepared pork version this year.



Sliced out one block to make into one big plate. I love the gravy of this dish. Very very nice... but I can't take the pork.



So mum specially made some 5 spices eggs for me. Oh~~~ I love this... Can just finish my whole plate of rice with these 2 eggs. ;) I'm missing it now...



This was another dish mum prepared a few days ago. Meat loaf rolls... She made this every year too. Made many, but a lot giving here and there, left a few only for ourselves.



This is Niang To Fu (Tofu stuffed with meat), a famous dish from Hakka people. Mum sometimes like to mix salted fish inside, but not for that day... I enjoyed this so much too, that I ate 3 pieces in one go.



Kakak required mum to spare out 2 for steamed version. Arghh~~ bad Kakak... she knows I hate those green stuff on top, purposely put it. Yar~ she mannaged to get rid off me to grab one from her. Hmmm!!



Mum was so artistic... arrange all the chopped chicken pieces into a whole piece again. Kekeke... I seldom see her doing this. She owez gets corn chicken ( meaning that chicken that runs on the ground, not fed in cage).



She added some garlic, ginger and Martell VSOP to make her version of drunken prawns.



Mum makes very good steamed fish with Sui Mei (水梅, salted plum). Think she was using Fu Gui Yu (富貴魚). I didn't try this dish, so couldn't give any comment. However, for CNY eve, must have fish in the dishes to present Nian Nian You Yu (年年有魚), literally meaning got leftover every year.



This was sweet and sour pork ribs. Another well-known dish of my mummy. She used dried chillies, sweet dates and assam flesh to make this dish. Often after people tried this dish, they fall in love with it, unless u dun take pork. Kekeke...



My family love soup. So, every CNY eve, mum cooks 2 HUGE pots of soup. One is this dried bamboo shoot soup with potk big bone... Very very sweet. If you let the soup overnite, it is even better.



The 2nd one is fish bladder (thanks doc, i've been trying to dig this word) with chicken soup. She added fish and prawn balls as well as canned crab meat. Oso a can of black pouched mushroom. Though I couldn't eat most of the things inside, I equally enjoyed the soup and the mushroom.



That evening, Lina's sister cooked a pot of drumstick curry for us too. So with this, we had 12 dishes for our Rooster Year eve lunch. Good figure. I remembered there was one year, mum was kind of scary, she made 18 dishes... dun really know why she needed to make so much? *sweating*

Anyway, muck!!!! Thanks mum for the great lunch.

13 Comments:

At 5:40 AM, Blogger Jasmine said...

corn chicken? Never heard that one :) are they like kampung chicken? :P

 
At 8:17 AM, Blogger 5xmom ~chanlilian.net~ said...

Ooooo fish fish, next year I go to Kuching and join you for reunion can or not? So delicious lah. And your mom's dishes are not the same as our Penang wan. So different, some of them. drooolsss

 
At 7:20 PM, Blogger drstel said...

hi fish fish! love your mom, love all these dishes. can i be adopted daughter, even for only one new year's eve? heehee.
great photographs and descriptions! makes me really hungry. thank you thank you! salamat.
cute baby anson has a lot of good food to look forward to...

 
At 7:59 PM, Anonymous Julia said...

oh wow, so many dishes! Your mom's a super cook, fish fish. I'm just curious. Why is it that you don't eat pork, but you can eat the gravy made with pork? And it seems like you eat fish sometimes. "scratches head" Please define your "vegetarian" diet. :)

 
At 3:00 AM, Blogger Ben said...

So much food - looks great!

 
At 11:05 AM, Blogger Dennis said...

Hey it looks like your mom is a pretty good cook!

 
At 11:32 AM, Blogger min said...

eh fish fish, you are vegetarian??I would love being your kakak..can humtum your share haha=X

 
At 5:57 PM, Blogger pinkcocoa said...

ff
your mum such a good cook ar! The gravy on the five-spice pork makes me feels gooooeeeeeeeee...yummmmmmmm!!!! Seems like my grandma also cook similar food like your mum! We also have the deepfried rolls. Granny usually makes vegan version by using taro instead of meat. Of course there would also be meat version for those meat-eaters. wahhh I wanna go home ar!

 
At 10:34 PM, Blogger fish fish said...

Jasmine : Bingo! Yap, it's our kampung chicken. However, my mum owez call them Bao Suk Kai in Hakka, directly translated as Corn Chicken as these chicken were fed using 100% corn... instead of normal chicken feed. :P

5xmom : can can... remember to bring your little boy. Heeee... then Anson can have a good fren to play with. ;) My mum is cooking Ho Po Hakka dishes most of them. Yours is what kind of dish?

drstel : ya lor~ Anson will be a very happiness little child in future, with all the good cooks around him. My mum is really a very good cook, that's why she got 2 daughters terrible in cooking. :P We are spoilt. Hey, no need to be my mum adopted daughter oso you can enjoy her meal if you come to visit us next time. ;)

Julia : Heee... sorry for the confusion. Well, it has been like this since I started my vegetarian practice... As you see, my whole family is not vegetarian, except me. So it would be very complicated if I want to stick to my full vegetarian at home. So, I did a compromisation in taking vege from normal dish mixture. As for the soup cooked with pork, it was something as deal with my mum. She allowed me to practice my vegetarian as long as I drink soup. And nope dear, I didn't take any fish, except for the keropok, which is the thing that I can't let go. :P Heee, still got any doubt? Just let me know then.

BHR : Thanks! :)

dennis : undeniable, she is. So, fish fish is not. :P Hey, welcome back! Must be in US now huh~ Waiting for ur post for a long time oledi. Miss them!!

min : Kekeke... that would have to ask my Kakak if she willing to share with you or not. ;) But we can go to eat without her, then it will be all urs. :P

Pinkcocoa : Wah~~~ now fish fish wants to see you grandma cooking. Show it next time you go home ar~ Me waiting!

 
At 1:44 AM, Blogger Acrix said...

5 spices dishes and meat loaf are my fav and they taste really good! Anyway, i;m a hakka who can;t speak hakka :P

 
At 12:45 AM, Blogger fish fish said...

Acrix : Heeee.. next time let me teach u a few useful Hakka words then. ;)

 
At 3:36 AM, Blogger SiaoChaBoa said...

Hey..Ff,
I so envy you ah..!! i love all the dishes.. especially the tofu.. and the meatloaf thingie.. :) Wah.. next time new year gotta go visit you .. hor..??

 
At 7:28 AM, Blogger fish fish said...

Mrs T : If you can make it to kuching during that time, you are very welcome to stay in my house even. ;) I would love to have a good fun with Chloe. :P

 

Post a Comment

<< Home