Kuishinbo~Meow~

I eat so much until people call me Dr. Fish Fish.

Sunday, February 27, 2005

CNY Eve (Feb 8, Pt 3)

No COFFEE~ No TEA~

:( I had a terrible imsonia yesterday, not becoz I got anything to worry. The main cause was because I had a bottle of tea in the evening. Ar~~ should hv endure with the thirst rather than giving myself a long sleepless nite. *regret*

CNY Eve Dinner

As long as I have my CNY celebration back home, I'll have 2 reunion feast everytime. :P The 2nd round was at my grandma's house in Serian. Went up with my mum and Bert Bert this year.



This is grandma house in 37th Mile, Serian. For normal days, my grandma, my eldest uncle and my second uncle whole family staying there.



Ang Pows that made into lantern shape were decorating the plants. :)



Before the reunion dinner, it is a practice of my grandma's house to pray first, and letting our past away grandpa and 3rd uncle to have their CNY Eve meal first. The 2 chairs were for them to sit down. :P

Then, it's our turn to have our dinner.



This was 5 spices duck. Mum didn't do this dish this year, but my youngest uncle cooked this dish. In fact, all the dishes that u guys seen in this post in my grandma's place were products from my youngest uncle hands. Kekeke... he never let his wife go into the kitchen for big season feast, he would prepare all the dishes by himself. With help of ingredient preparation by my uncles' wives.

"Ur uncle said my cooking taste too terrible, so just let him does all the work lor~"... my aunt said to me. Oh~ aren't she lucky or what? ;)



This is 5 spices pork intestine. It is a very complicated dish, as many process needed. Every year, uncle ordered almost 3kg of pork intestine just to make this dish. Cause he has to give to my mum and my auntie too. :P



This is oso another every year must have dish in my grandma's place. It is soy sauce 3 layers pork chunks with mushroom and red date. Uncle owez put a lot of the mushroom and sweet date, specially for me. ;) This year colour looked much lighter, but the taste of the mushroom still as good.



This was the dish he didn't feel satisfy at all for that evening. Stewed pork leg. It wasn't soft enough. He said it should be stewed for another 2 hrs for the right softness. See the smashed part of this pork leg, my uncle got so distracted with this dish that he just used the fork to test for the softness of the skin, before he shook his own head. kekeke...



Ah~ this was the dish I couldn't forget the most for the last year reunion. So I said to uncle, "this year you must prepare that soup for me ar~".

He did. But I was disappointed. Instead of using 3 chickens to get the soup, this year he only used one. So, this sharkfin soup wasn't as good as last year.

"Uncle, how come the soup tastes very different this year? How many chicken you use?" fish fish asked after 1st scoop on the soup.

"One. Why? Different taste is it?" He looked at my expression he knew oledi.

"Kekeke... you want to hear the truth?"...

So, he got the answer. Well, I guess next year he wouldn't cut down the material. ;)

Now you know what a weird fish I am, I dun eat meat. But I drink soup that cook with chicken... I used to be able to take soup cooked with pork, beef or lamb too... but now not every type. Some are too strong smell for me... But for sure I wouldn't take any kind of meat themselves, as I would have terrible cirit birit (diarrhoea) then...



While my youngest uncle still busy finishing the last bit of cooking, others have sat down getting ready for a nice meal. There were actually still another few dish, but as they were same as what mum cooked, so I just skipped them.

Left to right : My second uncle, my grandma, my mummy, Bert Bert and my eldest uncle. My mummy looks like grandma or not? :P

After the dinner, I decided to have a stroll around the compound to sooth my bloating stomach. At the same time, took some pictures of the things around.



In my grandma backyard, you can see small size pomelo...



Local orange...



My favorite, Shi Jia Tou (as called by the Taiwanese, the buddha's head)... In Kuching, we called it Ling Kim in Hakka. I love this fruit. I'm goin to do a review about it in later post. ;)



Mango tree!! This is a very sweet species. Too bad it's not the season for mango now. Ai yar~

Then, outside my grandma's house compound...



U can see a very densed tree of sour plum. I remembered I had this during my childhood with salt. It can really make you face changed once you put them into the mouth. *sour~*



In a nice weather day, Serian sky is owez one of the attractive scene for fish fish... Something u wouldn't get in bustling cities.



Sarawak is the biggest pepper producing state in Malaysia. Instead, we have a board call Pepper Marketing Board to do R&D on pepper. Besides the conventional black and white pepper, you would oso get black pepper sauce (very good for cooking steak), green pepper sauce, pepper sweet (both soft and hard), pepper perfume (using the pepper essense) or even a pepper tuak (I'm not sure if you can get the pepper tuak in the market, as it was under research stage when I was having my industrial training there). Ar~ must go back there next time to greet my HUGE HUGE Abang Shajat... he is a very friendly and nice guy, very funny to be with. Miss him actually.



And finally... a sepia close up look at the pepper seed grown on the tree... to end fish fish CNY eve's post.

Tomorrow.... Kokoke is taking over the Monkey kingdom. ;)

18 Comments:

At 11:31 PM, Blogger MunKit said...

fish fish expert la.. ppl use less material also you can know the taste's different :PpP

btw i lurvee those local fruits! :)

 
At 11:56 PM, Blogger Wilson said...

Fish fish you have a lovely family :)

 
At 1:41 AM, Blogger Acrix said...

Waoh so many dishes~ For cny, i have steamboat with my family coz it;s easier to prepare and everyone can eat together :P the soup looks bit oily to me...

 
At 5:43 AM, Anonymous doc said...

Finally finished everything Japanese from your blog. Made lots of notes.

Coming here to say "Domo arigato gozaimasu".

 
At 7:11 AM, Anonymous Julia said...

Hey I love ling kims! They are so delicious when ripe; so sweet and mushy. I was the only in my family with enough patience to enjoy them. I'd clean every single seed of flesh and spit them out individually. My mom would limit me to three at one go, but I could easily eat more!

 
At 8:53 AM, Blogger Saffron said...

Haha, the ling kim we call 'hoong mou lau luen' in cantonese. No idea how acurate it is though, but I love those. We used to have a tree behind the house before they roboh-ed it, and I had seed-spitting competitions with the oaf. :)

 
At 9:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love that huge garden at your Grandma's. The natural backdrop is incredible and that is what a house should come with. Of course, the feast, I really miss those and make sure I do get invited one way of another if I do go back to Kuching, which is not often(don't worry) Ahem! Being a Hakka, I would have no problem fitting in.

Fish-Eater

 
At 7:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fish fish, very interesting blog you have here.

I think that "Shi Jia Tou" is custard apple in English. One of my fav. fruit too. Very messy to eat.

 
At 12:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

your grandma's place looks great. and the food...mmm...
you get diarrhoea if you were to eat meat?

winterx

 
At 12:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

your grandma's place looks great. and the food...mmm...
you get diarrhoea if you were to eat meat?

winterx

 
At 12:43 AM, Blogger fish fish said...

munkit : Hey, I study food mar~ ;)

wilson : Thanx. They are lovely, though not all the time.

acrix : The soup looks oily, but actually not. Geee... I love steamboat actually, but mum didn't like to make steamboat for CNY. It's her style. She rather spend a few days just to prepare these dishes.

doc : Doitashimashite. :)

Julia : eating the flesh and spitting the seeds are fun. ;) Hey, have u ever tried a red ling kim?

saffron : They are different dear. Ling Kim sweeter and becak. Hong Mao Liu Lian a bit sour and bigger.

Fish-Eater : Yap, love my grandma garden too. Welcome to my house next time in Kuching. :) We speaks Hakka then. kekeke...

Anon : Yap... it is also called custard apple. Kekeke... I have been well-trained to eat the ling kim prettily. :P

winterx : Yap. I do. Strange huh~

 
At 1:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

In Cantonese, ling kim is known as 'hoong mou lai chee' meaning 'mat salleh lychee.

 
At 3:20 AM, Blogger SiaoChaBoa said...

Hey..Ff,
You can only find gardens like that in Malaysia.. never in Singapore.. :) This summer i take some pictures of my FIL's garden for you ok..???
Food looks great.. but way too oily for me.. and too much meat leh..??!!?? no..??

 
At 3:46 PM, Blogger pinkcocoa said...

Wahhhh your uncle such a good cook. Is he a chef or what? If only..if only ShinChan be like your uncle then I no need to cook! hahaha. Let him feed fat fat. :p

ff, I have similar situation with you ar. I don't actually eat meat but then I am ok with sausages (ya, i know all those fats....) and pork & beef intestines. Weird right?

Nice big garden your granny has! My granny used to have one when we were still living in the old house. Isn't the ling kim "sour sop"? I miss pomelo. My uncle has a few pomelo trees that he never care to pamper but every year it produces giant sweet juicy pomelo for him (and for us!)

 
At 9:52 PM, Blogger 5xmom ~chanlilian.net~ said...

The sour plum is called 'too boh leng' or sow's breast (female pig). We used to cook curry with them. The flower is really nice.

 
At 6:37 AM, Blogger Evil Jonny said...

Hey Fish,

In English, I think that green fruit is called a Sugar Apple:

http://www.tradewindsfruit.com/sugar_apple.htm

 
At 7:27 AM, Blogger fish fish said...

5xmom : Oh, cook with curry is nice ar? Must ask my mum to try to cook one with that. What other main ingredients needed ar?

jonny : Thanks for the site. It's indeed a good info for me. So, it's actually different from Cherimoya? Have u tried cherimoya, do you know what is the taste different of these 2?

 
At 5:57 PM, Blogger Evil Jonny said...

Never tried either one, Fish. But yeah, the site says they are different. The Sugar Apple can withstand more temperature fluctuations.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home