Kuishinbo~Meow~

I eat so much until people call me Dr. Fish Fish.

Thursday, March 10, 2005

Doreen's Bird Day (Feb 14)

Valentine's night... I joint the Wong family to celebrate Doreen (DD)'s Bird Day... Yap, she was born in valentine's day. :D Went with Bert Bert and Hoi Chin (my secondary school fren). Hoi Chin was going back to Penang 2 days later, so I dragged her to join us.

I have a little secret that I have never revealed before, not even my primary school frens know bout it... The 1st puppy crush that I had was on my classmate that was oso born on valentine's. He was a hit within the gals... bad bad type of boy. Look like young edition of Andy Lau (but I'm not fancy of Andy Lau wor), got a very husky voice... which fish fish think extremely attractive (most of the boys in my class that time still got very high pitch girlish voice). He was a good singer in our class, everytime he sang, can made this fish drunk. :P

This crush went on for quite a few years, without ever let him knew. Then primary 6 came, when all of us going to graduate soon... One day, his neighbour went away, the seat was empty... Somehow fish fish just sat besides him... heart was beating very very fast... We didn't talk at first, just very quiet.

"I'm going to 12th Mile to continue my secondary..." Suddenly he said...

"I see..." That was the only 2 words I managed to say out. My heart sank, thinking of wouldn't be able to see him anymore...

After that, I only saw him once in front of the main post office. He became so tall, far away... I recognized him, but he didn't see me. I didn't walk over to say hi.

Few years later, I heard frens told me he got caught by the police becoz of doing some illegal thing.

Then the last time people talked bout him, was many years back...

"He went to Miri to become a cook." Well, my crush for him have long gone by that time. But somehow I felt happy for him, to know that he was doing well. Wherever you are, whatever you do now... fish fish sincerely bless you from the bottom of heart. :)

Puppy crush... sweet memories~ Kekeke...

Ok, finish the nonsense. Let see how DD enjoyed her bd that nite. ;)

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
It was Winston suggestion... We went to Benson Seafood (茗勝海鮮) nearby Sarawak Plaza to have dinner.



Pic by Ann.

Eddie was busy looking at the display counter. I wonder what was so interesting bout this 'Japanese tofu' that make him smiling at it that time. :P

Anyway, just a little info here... Frequently, in Kuching, people like to order either 'Japanese tofu' or 'local tofu'. In Japan, there is actually no such name. This Japanese tofu that we called actually is egg tofu in Japan. But they dun have this kind of shape... all in cubes. (Must do a post on that next time). Instead of eating like deep fry etc ways in Malaysia... The Japanese would just eat it cold with Japanese light sauce, like a way to eat dessert. So, next time if you come to Japan, and if you are craving for Japanese tofu, look for 'Tamago tofu' (卵豆腐). ;) That's the rite word for it.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

The Wong's family. Right to left : Doreen, Eddie, Their mummy and Ann.

We ordered quite a number of dishes that nite.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

First, this Ou Jian (osyter deep fried pancake) came up. A very famous local delicacy in Kuching. Most of the restaurant offer this dish... however, not all the restaurants can make a good one. This one was just so so for fish fish.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Kekeke... I forgot the name of the bean when it was presented. Just remember the Chinese name as 四角豆. Then, auntie literally translated it into Four-corner Bean. *LOL* Brilliant name... Now next time I'll know when I see this stuff, what will I call it. But I doubt will anyone understand that if I make an order. Later, I think Ann told me this is called Season Bean?? Can anyone give the correct name please...

Btw, this bean stir fry with belachan was good. It has been years I didn't eat this.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Next, crabs!! I think it was cooked with pepper and egg... Didn't try this menu, but it did look drooling huh~ ;)

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

This is called Taro Bird's Nest, which by the name, you know the nest was made from smashed taro. Under the nest, the hay-look stuff was deep-fried bean-starch vermicelli. Inside the nest, instead of little birdies, assorted veges were stuffed inside, including the golden Japanese tofu that Eddie was smiling at just now... :P

This, another common decorated dish u will commonly found in Kuching restaurant.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

This is called Dou Miao (豆苗), sprout. I dun really know what kind of sprout was this. In Japan, it is called Kaiware, which mostly are the radish sprout. Usually, this vege was common to be cooked in stir-fried garlic.

Well, fish fish not a fan of Dou Miao... there is a sense of pungent taste that back me off. But I did take the challenge to have some that nite. :P

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

This was requested by fish fish. Didn't have any Char Kueh Tiaw yet ever since I was back to Kuching. Not a very delicious one, but not bad neither. The ingredients inside were kind of generous. I had quite some of this.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Butter prawn... another delicacy that u will normally seen in a restaurant. This version looked quite oily. Some restaurants can make very good one, you can even enjoy the crispy butter chunk.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Doreen, the bird day gal treat us this meal. Gochisosama deshita, Doreen san~~~

See these chairs? Crabs!! Kekeke... cute huh~

Overall, the dinner was a nice one... if you want to have just normal meal. But if you are looking for something really drooling, this wouldn't be much attraction to you. One think I like the most bout the dishes here... they were not salty...

Sometimes the foods that are prepared in Kuching can be quite salty... which really make me want to shout to the owner...

"Oi~ Tau Keh... Lu eh yam mien lui er, si bor??" (Your salt no need money one, is it?)

Later, we have the cake cutting ceremony...

DD and Ann were in their crazy mode... Attracted many pairs of eyes... It was fun to see the Wong's sisters act that time.



Pic by Ann.

DD... and her cake. Very lovely looking that nite.

Another big MUCK from fish fish here again~ ;)



Pic by Ann.

I love this pic. Ann took it with a good angle and right timing.

Aaaammm... oishii?



Pic by Ann.

Contradictory... see Eddie expression... why your face so Bittergourd that time ar? :P

Oso, meet my darling old fren, Hoi Chin (left)... we omost only see each other once a year since we graduated. I'm not sure if I can see her again next year, cause I won't be home during CNY... and she might go to Arab to work.

Hey dear... if you really are going, dun forget to inform me ok. Kyak kyak kyak!! I'll have another free place to stay liao. ;) Must 38 a lot with u then tat time.

13 Comments:

At 9:57 PM, Blogger MunKit said...

it's interesting to read about your crush! :)

i love the way jap eat the tomago tofu.. but sadly haven got the chance to go to jap.. so what i did.. i went to this sushi shop in singapore and ordered 4 plates of tofu.. ahh nice :)

 
At 11:35 PM, Blogger cooknengr said...

Hey Fish Fish your crush went to SMK Penrissen too ? Penrissen only has a class of 好東西: class of 84.

Eddie says the cake not oishii.

 
At 2:30 AM, Anonymous Mr Kiasu said...

I think fish fish take a lot of picture no matter where she go. And the picture always about food one.

 
At 6:07 PM, Blogger mei gie said...

I think Ou Jian also quite famous in Penang...cause when i was there, everywhere i go, i saw people selling it. I also have a puppy crush which lasted for 5 years without him knowing...then, after 5 years...never like him anymore...dont know why.

 
At 6:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Love is in the air
Everywhere I look around
Love is in the air
Every sight and every sound"

Here is the alternate sketch:
Puppy: "I'm gonna to Penrissen to continue my secondary.."
Fishy: "That's just great!" (big smile and completely excited, hollywood style!)
"Let's celebrate..ha!"
"Let's have Ang-tau-peng sounds! What say you?"
..
In case there is a sudden turn of events:
Puppy: "hmm..don't quite like Ang-tau-peng! Never did,.. never will."
Fishy: (Recovery preparation...but remain composed and high spirited.)
"Cha-kueh-teuh, c'mmon!! everyone likes Cha-kueh-teuh" (never recommend durian)
..
..
[So far so good. A nice hawker center in the breezy sunday afternoon.
Waiter just brought over two huge plates of steaming Cha-kueh-teuh, topped with
Fish-Fish's favorit extra stinky anchovy.]

Fishy: (Leaning ever closer..)
"Just to let you know! and you are the first to know, by the way"
"I'm oso heading to Penrissen lah!!"
Puppy: Kaaa...boommm!!
(Puppy falls off the chair, couldn't believe what he had just heard.
His mouthfull of char-kueh-teuh just blasted like fountain straight out of his mouth.)

[You make up the closing scene.]

"Love is in the air
In the rising of the sun
Love is in the air
When the day is nearly done"

Fish-Puppy-Love (Previously Fish-Eater)

 
At 7:33 PM, Blogger SiaoChaBoa said...

Hey.. FF,
Were you trying to play matchmaker for your "da gie"..??? hehehheh!!!

 
At 7:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

got a 'thing' goin' for the cooknengr? meetin' 5 or 6xs within a period of 5 or 6 days? was the cookout the intro to the family, n tis the acceptance into the fam? kekeke! anyway the four corners bean is called winged bean and this may help oso :
http://www.kitazawaseed.com/seeds_winged_bean.html
enjoy your blog, at least know where to eat n where not to.

mike

 
At 7:55 PM, Anonymous Julia said...

hi fish fish, the pic of your fried horfun is killing me! I love it dry-fried with black sauce and lots of beansprouts. :) I like the mashed yam nest too.

 
At 10:37 PM, Blogger min said...

hahaaha this anonymous' comment is so funny!!

fish fish ah..when are u graduating and how old are you?I am thinking of visiting japan this year.

 
At 11:55 PM, Blogger fish fish said...

munkit : wow! another tofu lover?? I know how to make tofu. :P

cooknengr : Kekeke... fish fish oso said the keki not oishii. :P The 84 class, I know who was inside lar~ ;)

mr kiasu : Bingo! Try to finf out the meaning Kuishinbo... then you will know why. :P

mei gie : Wow! U and I both equally durable huh~ Kekeke... Btw, do the Ou Jian in Penang looks like the one in Kuching?

Fish-Puppy-Love : Kekeke... another new name. Really enjoy your comments. So many new idea on your name. Dun even know if you are a male/female. :P Hello~ i dun take anchovy, needless to say more on stinky one?? Wow! You got good imagination. ;) How bout I tell you my 2nd crush and you create another scene for it? :P

mrs t : Wow!! Fish Fish be a matchmaker. Da Ge with whom? My lovely Hoi Chin?? Kekeke...

mike : Muak! Thanks for the winged bean info. Learn something new today. Btw... do you think something going when my meeting with Da Ge owez got Ann and Bert Bert? Kekeke...

Julia : Your devil looking noodle post made me break my rule. I had curry udon last nite. *sob sob*

min : *agree* Btw, when do you plan to come to Japan? To Kansai area?? Welcome dear! I'm scheduled to graduate next year march if everything smooth. Btw, my age... shhhh... ;)

 
At 3:08 AM, Blogger mei gie said...

It looks different physically..not sure if it taste the same. I have not seen the Ou Jian served so nicely before...noramlly it is folded up and not as round as the one you ate.

 
At 3:02 PM, Blogger letti said...

oo..i remember Benson seafood..did you have some midin?

 
At 1:38 AM, Blogger fish fish said...

mei gie : You got to try Kuching's Ou Jian... it's oo la la~

letti : Yap, had midin. But not in Benson, going to show that in later post. ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home