Kuishinbo~Meow~

I eat so much until people call me Dr. Fish Fish.

Saturday, March 26, 2005

Freeze-Dried Durian

*sigh* I feel so relax now. After what had happened.

Yesterday nite, I figured out I put the wrong colouring into my solution, so even if my samples can be dissolved, I would not be able to continue my work. What worse, not more stock solution left. That means, I will have to prepare the solution too.

Got so angry with myself of the stupid mistake I done... I went home cooked myself a HUGE bowl of Kimchi Zousui (キムチ雑炊), finished all while enjoying a weekends movie on TV... Gangs of New York. Then... Zzzzzzz....

So this morning, with a long nice sleep, and a home-made proper breakfast... I came to the lab to redo my work. But... things didn't turn out as I have scheduled. If you ask me what I hate the most bout doing lab work... PREPARING SOLUTION!.... I... HATE... IT! Especially today, for the 1st time in my life, I prepared the same solution for 3 times due to my first 2 failures. So, I wasted 6 hrs just for this stupid solution, with a very high concentration of urea and the pH adjustment in non-buffer zone. Until I got no mood to eat... I didn't sit for that 6 hrs... just look at the pH metre, like I was having some kind of battle with it while I adjust my pH drop by drop.

PHEW!! You bet how happy I was when I finally made the 3rd preparation a success.

Anyway, I somehow started to feel very hungry after that. So, what did I eat? Nothing on my desk that time, except a few freeze-dried Thai durian pieces purposely leftover by me. I gulped the whole thing. Man~~~ it was sooo good that time.



This was a courtesy of Eddie, a nice food gift from him when I met him in Kuching last time. I brought it back to Japan... and couldn't take it until one month later due to my sore throat.

The ingredient was very simple : 100% Durian.

Actually I saw this in his blog, and was interested how it would taste. Surprisingly, didn't expect he would get one for me.



Here is how the freeze-dried durian looks like. As this is the Golden Pillow (name of the durian) from Thailand, the flesh was much thicker than the Malaysian durians. Durian smell was much milder though.

Once I opened the package, the durian smell just went into my nostrils.

First bite on it, OMG... DURIAN!! Yap, except that the texture was very crunchy... the taste, the smell... all closely resemble to a fresh one. It was actually my first time on a freeze-dried version. I would say this was quite good to cure you homesickness for durian. I would call it Thick Durian Chips. Kekeke...

Eddie actually soaked into water before to make it hydrated, and according to him, it went back to the fresh durian.

So, fish fish imitated his act... by using WARM water... The result? The few pieces durian turned into something very.... Errr.... I dun think you want me to say here. :P

Anyway... domo arigatou... Da Ge, that was a good one. :)

Oh, I'm goin home now... cook a good dinner. Wanna watch a special documentary on TV bout what would happen if the next earthquake attacks Japan. Then? Come back to the lab to work again as a midnite bird.

Tata~

15 Comments:

At 2:52 AM, Anonymous Julia said...

Hey, this is interesting. It's the first time I've heard of freeze-dried durian. Guess it's for hard-core durian lovers who can't get hold of fresh durian outside of S.E. Asia. Of course, for me, nothing beats the real thing. I just love the rich creaminess of fresh durian. :)

 
At 4:17 AM, Blogger 5xmom ~chanlilian.net~ said...

Really!!??? Freeze dried durians? Oooo, I wud love to taste that one day. After all, I am durian, remember! Happy weekend, fish fish! Lately had not been posting comments 'cos it takes a looooong time for blogger to download.

 
At 5:10 AM, Blogger guy said...

haha.thats a great idea.gonna pack some when i go back to OZ.

 
At 1:19 PM, Blogger Dennis said...

As there is a lack of fresh durians here, we normally by those frozen ones too. After coming back from Malaysia and having fresh durians over there, I can't stand the frozen ones anylonger. When they're frozen, they're crunchy. When we defrost them, they're soggy. Gross!!

We managed to find fresh ones at an Asian grocery store last night. It cost us $30 USD for one whole durian. We crave fresh durian too much, so we bought it anyhow.

I'll do a post about it later.

 
At 1:57 PM, Blogger Yuen Li said...

AAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! Durian! I want! I want!

 
At 6:54 PM, Blogger Acrix said...

Seems like everyone been craving for durian :P I;m the odd one maybe coz i can;t stand the smell of the durian~ All my other family members love it including my frenz but not me. Weird~

 
At 6:55 PM, Blogger mei gie said...

I hate making solutions too so that's why i am not in Chemical Engineering!! My friends who are doing Chemical Eng told me that they regreted taking that course...lucky me, i only need to deal with all the electronic stuffs (though i also dont quite like it).

Hhhmm...at the first look, the durian looks like those really bad and tasteless durian in Malaysia....so hard and usually people might just throw them away. Luckily, you metioned it was crunchy...that makes a big difference. By the way, still hoping that i could try it. Can we get it anywhere in Malaysia??? Did your friend buy it from Malaysia??

 
At 12:23 AM, Blogger cooknengr said...

Hey Fish Fish, I did the same for Checmical Analysis during SPM lab exam,I some how lost the "unknown" stock soultion, so I have to guess the answer after 2 hr of lab work. Good thing I got a 5 for Chem from 'Tiam Chee Nung Nel'.

Good that you finally made your stock solution, apply the same patience when you brew beer :)

 
At 1:27 AM, Blogger fish fish said...

julia : Well, actually I dun like fresh durian too much these few years. I think should blame that I had too much when I was a kid. My father taught in a very rural place, whereby a huge durian hill just located in front... with thousands of durian trees. I have even seen before a localo durian that was as tall as I'm when I was a kid.

5xmom : No problem Lilian, and long as we enjoyed each other blog. :) Btw, the freeze-dried from Thailand, dun know if Penang could get it easily.

guy : This was brought back from LA, not sure if Kuching can find one or not.

dennis : Freeze-dried is acceptable for me. But I doubt bout the frozen one. I had frozen lychee, and it was yark~

yuen li : all digested away liao~

acrix : I actually like to eat durian flower and tempoyak more. :P

mei gie : Kekeke.. one of my guy fren discourage me to take Chemical field, cause he said some of the substances might cause infertility wor~ Btw, the durian was brought back from LA, not sure if KL can get or not.

cooknengr : Kekeke... I won't brew beer, you know that. ;) Btw, what is Tiam Chee Nung Nel? Not Hakka rite?

 
At 1:32 AM, Blogger fish fish said...

cooknengr : Btw, Da Ge, cool pix u got here. ;)

 
At 3:44 AM, Blogger SiaoChaBoa said...

Hey.. FF,
Had wanted to post a comment.. but bloggers wouldn't let me.. so here i am .. the last one.. and everyone else already said what i wanna say.. :(
Anyhow.. here's my 2 cents worth.. :)
Freeze durian..?? wow..!! first i've heard..!! Very interesting.... ! next time gotta ask yer da ge .. to send some to me.. ;)

 
At 8:35 AM, Blogger cooknengr said...

Hey Fish Fish let's rephrase' (I may mess up one phrase)
here we go

Diam jee noong nel
loong farn koon tel
foot tze ko kong
Ngeh tze sau hiong
Bong Kai ma
teek teek tuk tuk
tuk toh jie heh ngee"

cames in handy during my high school years for multiple choice questions. I prefer the American version though :mini mine moe

 
At 8:37 AM, Blogger Acrix said...

how to eat the durian flower? Cook it with something else?

 
At 9:04 PM, Blogger Evil Jonny said...

Still haven't tried durian, except in mooncakes...

 
At 11:59 PM, Blogger fish fish said...

mrst : Heeee... hey have you dropped the comment to ask him to send you one? ;)

cooknengr : Hahhaah!!! Da Ge... i still dun understand part of it... But I catch what you wanna say oledi. Me oso owez do that, A, B, C, D, E... tik tik tuk tuk... then just hentam.

acrix : Stir fry durian flower with sambal. I would say... DIVINE~

kimchi jon : I enjoy durian mooncake too. And the combination with lotus seed paste goes well with the durian paste. :) Hey, Jonny, I think you will enjoy fresh durian once you figure out how marvellous it is. ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home