Kuishinbo~Meow~

I eat so much until people call me Dr. Fish Fish.

Saturday, March 19, 2005

Ipoh Curry Fish Head (Feb 16)

That evening, I sent Kakak to attend her fren's sister wedding dinner. Then, went to meet up with Eddie and Ann. Later, Winston came to meet us up too. Four of us headed to makan makan.



Ipoh Curry Fish Head... the place that we went. It was at the Jalan Keretapi near the end of 3rd mile roundabout. The shop was a few shops away from Bank simpanan Nasional. The owners came from Penang... they started this business a few years ago. Back to that time, they weren't even own a shop yet, they were running the business at the corridor outside the shops during nite time, when all the other shops were closed. And today, they finally made it into a proper shop like this.



We ordered curry fish head, small size. Usually when I came with my mum, mum will remind them to use fish head only. So that nite, I automatically reminded them on that... without thinking the fish head flesh might be too lack for 3 adults. Sorry arrrgghhh... Eddie, Ann and Winston. Silly fish!

I like this pot of curry, though the bean piece owez not cooked soft enough. This time, I forgot to ask them put more veggies, so the veggies volume were not as generous as usual. *sigh*

When mum lazy to cook, she would just give a call to this shop...

"Taukeh ar~ I'm who who who... I want to order this, this and this. Come to get it 1 hr later."

So, by the time I go and fetch the food... everything ready for me liao~ But must remember one thing, when u do order like this, remember to bring ur own container to bring back the curry... They dun have the container for that. A big one better!!

Another thing, beside this curry fish head, they got very nice curry lamb too... Usually it will need 1 hr for preparing, so if you want the curry lamb, make sure u booked earlier before you go.

I missed this curry so much... It was quite different from the curry in Kuching. According to Eddie, they must have added some kind of corn starch to give the thickness to the soup.

Hey, wanna an Ipoh curry, come here then. :)



We oso ordered deep fried chicken. My brother's favorite. He never miss this whenever he comes. Oso, the deep fried mutton very nice too.

*Ok, the comments were by mum and brother, not sure how true it is*



3rd dish, was this Penang Lor Bak. Least favorite of my mum. She told me the flavour didn't penetrate into the whole things well. So, usually she wouldn't order this dish. But I did notice most of the customers do like to order this. Different people different taste buds. Eddie was saying this menu was so so.



The last dish we had that day, was this sambal mixed vege. First, the owner deep frying all the vege for around 30 seconds before they went into the stir fry process with the sambal. So, this was actually a very oily dish. But somehow, I am hooked to its spiciness, which I enjoy eating it with the plain white rice. Well, this will be a No No dish for those who don't take spicy food. You might gulp down 3 glasses of water then.

Here, they don't offer many types of drink. Either a cooked barley drink or sour lime with plum powder juice. Eddie and Ann had the barley, while Winston and me had the sour lime. Shiok! Refreshing!! Well, I love~ sour stuff, remember? :P

With 4 dishes, rice and drinks... We only paid a total of RM40 only. CHEAP!!

Before we went away, I took some more pics.

"Moi~ u take picture for what ar?" The taukeh was curious.

"Help you do advertisement. FOC!" I said.

"Iisshhh!! Didn't tell me earlier, or else this meal will be on me."

"Cheh! Taukeh, I oledi paid liao then u said. Too late ler~"

"Ok, next time you come, on my treat."

"Heeee... thanks. Will keep that in mind." :P... well, will I ask him to treat? Nope, but I would love if he would add some more veggies inside the curry next time. Kekeke... Thanks for the offering anyway.

Later that nite, found out my Kakak went home oledi without giving me a call. Mum went up to Serian. Bert Bert didn't with me, good, no kids with us. Kekeke... So?

I went to pub with them for 2nd round. Well, the guys had beer... Ann and me had skyjuice... at one of the pub inside Riverbank Suite. Forgot the name liao. But as it was a normal weekday... nice and quite. Enjoyable time. Past a nice time chit-chatting. I haven't had this for a long time. Oso, learnt a few things from the guys that nite. :P Shhhhhh...

17 Comments:

At 4:47 AM, Anonymous mrkiasu said...

I think ho, your blog site now become a food blog liao. Each day, we see different kindo of dishes popping up leh.

 
At 6:34 AM, Blogger Nightraveller said...

Hmm, must remind my Ipohh frenz too to bring me there next time!

 
At 8:45 AM, Blogger Evil Jonny said...

Fish: do you have a good recipe for the veggie sambal?

 
At 1:42 PM, Blogger Yuen Li said...

*Overcome by hunger, runs downstairs to put some nuggets in microwave*

 
At 10:04 PM, Blogger cooknengr said...

Hey Fish Fish : Shhhhh? Did you learn something you shouldn't have learnt or something you should have learnt ?

 
At 11:11 PM, Blogger Phan said...

Fish Fish mei mei,

Ipoh has so many good food ... not just curry fish head. When I was home for CNY, I had the smoothest fried tofu ever. It is said that Ipoh has some special water to make the tofu and bean sprout the best in the world and the girls hehe the prettiest. Maybe the latter is a little bit too far off from the truth. :oP

 
At 11:55 PM, Blogger SiaoChaBoa said...

Wow!! way too cheap.. for so many good food..!! Ff, i so envy you ah..!!

 
At 3:12 AM, Blogger MunKit said...

ipoh food rocks so hard it sweeps everybody off their feet.

(literally) :)

 
At 6:32 AM, Blogger fish fish said...

Dear Mr Kiasu, Kuishinbo~Meow~ originally was a 'food blog'... Refer the archives, you will know. Just that it changed slowly into 'rojak'. :P But still, foods are the main. Kekeke...

nightraveller : Geee... dun know if really Ipoh offers the same curry or not.

kimchi jon : I dun have. U need the 'belachan' to cook the dish. Wonder if US sell or not. I'll get it from my mum next time and send u a mail then. But be patient ok? :)

yuen li : Nugget yum yum?

cooknengr : Kekeke... I learnt something I didn't know. :P

Phan : Yap, I know my dear~ I've been to Ipoh, Sungai Siput and Kangar? Couldn't really remember the name. But I think what I like bout the most were the kueh tiaw soup and curry Chu Cheong Fun. ;)

mrs t : Next time you go Kuching, I chia you eat. :)

munkit : Yah~ Ipoh is a good place for food too. ;)

 
At 8:57 AM, Blogger Evil Jonny said...

Hi Fish, is this belacan?

http://www.asianmerchant.com/driedshrimtr.html

If so, I have some! Just don't know how to use it! ;-)

 
At 5:25 PM, Blogger cooknengr said...

Kimchi Jon: You can get belacan in L.A. Area, in fact yo don't even need to go as far west. Belacan is available in Rowland Height (near my pad), while you are out here, you might wanna try Malaysian Restaurant "Penang " at Covina.

 
At 6:28 PM, Blogger mei gie said...

Aiyo...another favourite food of mine..the "Curry Fish Head"...i can even drink the curry jsut like that :). By the way, I realized that your family love to eat 'sambal vege', is that right?

 
At 9:54 PM, Blogger fish fish said...

kimchi jon : oops! Sorry, I made one mistake. The sambal belachan was for the kangkung in previous post, not the sambal vege in this post. Mixed up liao. However, try to use the belachan like this... I think you will like it.

Cut a small cube of the belachan, you can either pound it, or just let it like the cube. Get 1-2 shallots and 2 cloves garlic and 1-2 red chilies (depends on whether you will like hot and spicy or not). Pound the three things into coarse piece. Then, when the vege oil becomes hot enough u will need like 5 table spoons, as to cook this kind of dish, quite a lot of oil needed), stir fry the pounded shallot, garlic and red chillies in it until the fragrance comes out. Then, add in the pounded belachan as well. Remember to use not too strong heat now, as a too strong heat will easily burnt the belachan... After stir fry for a while, just put all the green vege in (i would strongly suggest you try with spinach first, it goes well with the belachan, I've tried on that. 2 big bunch of raw spinach should be just nice). Then, once the vege has become soft and still remain the beautiful green colour, you off the heat. And be ready to serve. Goes perfect with white rice. I know my recipe a bit too messy, but happy trying. ;) Tell me bout the result later in ur post ar~ (p/s: when cooking this dish, the smell can be very strong, make sure you air circulating system good that time. :P)

meigie : Yap... sambal kangkung, midin, paku... blah blah blah... I think most of the Kuching people like them. :) How bout you?

 
At 10:32 PM, Blogger cooknengr said...

Hey Fish Fish, you should warn Kimchi Jon the neighbor may call the coroner office once the belacan release the "aroma".

 
At 2:29 PM, Blogger The Doctor said...

Fish Fish or loyal readers, I ran across your blog while looking for a recipe for Ikan Pangang on google. Cooknengr told fish fish she would be Ikan Pangang after L.A. sun. I was introduced to Ikan Pangang on Penang island and I cant seem to locate recipe for it. Is it possible that anyone would have a recipe for Ikan Pangang? If so, please e-mail it to me and I will return the favor somehow. My e-mail is drtnjj@hotmail.com Thanks and hope to hear from you soon

 
At 1:41 AM, Blogger fish fish said...

cooknengr : Heeee... ya hor~ Think he read this comment of yours liao~

fat bastard : Hello~ nice to see you here. Ok, try to look for one for you in the net then. However, grill fish got many versions in Malaysia, what kind of version do you want?

 
At 3:48 AM, Blogger alicia.ahchee said...

Mr Fish, do you have the full address of this place? or the contact number of the owner?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home