Kuishinbo~Meow~

I eat so much until people call me Dr. Fish Fish.

Wednesday, March 16, 2005

Muara Tebas (Feb 16, Pt 2)

Update : Da Ge, thanks for telling me some technical problem happened in this post of mine. :)

After we finished our praying in Green Hill Temple, mum and uncle were busy looking for fuel as our car fuel tank was dangerously empty oledi. Mum forgot to refill the fuel tank yesterday. Kekeke... I just let my uncle worry for my mum, I know they will find a way. Fish Fish used the time to take a short troll around the Muara Tebas fish village for some interesting shots. *bad gal*



Once you get down from the temple... these stalls selling fancy stuffs, mostly from China, will lay in front of you. It wasn't here yet the last time I came... The place is getting more and more tourists oriented.



The info below are quoted from here and here.

This was something interesting to share with you all. Do you know what is this called? It is called horseshoe crab (Limulidae), a living fossil extends back far before the dawn of human civilization, before the dinosaurs, before flowering plants... back to the era in our planet's history when visible life first appeared. These prehistoric arthropods have been on Earth for 360 million years.

Today, horseshoe crabs (Limulidae) are represented by four species : Limulus polyphemus which is found along the eastern coast of North and Central America, and three Indo-Pacific species, Tachypleus gigas , Tachypleus tridentatus and Carcinoscorpius rotundicauda.

Though they are called "crabs," a quick look at their taxonomy shows that they're not. In fact, they are most closely related to trilobytes that existed 544 million years ago.



The local people call it 'Hao'. These few pity horseshoe crabs were for sell. Hmm...

"What are these for?" Fish Fish asked the seller.

"Eat."

"Eat?? But how? No flesh..."

"The egg. You eat the egg."

In fact when I looked for info about it, according to this site, it did mention "female horseshoe crabs are prized for their eggs and large quantity of meat". And it oso mentioned horseshoe crab has blue blood~

Tell me, have you eaten any horseshoe crab before?

Then, I walked to the port side...



Some guys were unloading coconuts and sour durian (the local calls it Ang Moh Durian) (inside the bucket that the red shirt man holding) from a boat. Interesting...

"Halo moi... Apa khabar?" (How are you, gal?) They greeted me.

"Khabar baik. :) Ini dari mana?" (I'm fine, tq. Where are these from?)

"Dari seberang kampung." (From the village opposite).

*ah~ I see* No wonder they use boat.

"Berapa satu?" (How much one?) I pointed to the young coconut.

"Dua ringgit." (2 ringgits) Hmm... price ok, but I didn't buy.

Then, I just smile to them and silently went further out...



I walked leisurely from one end to the next end... while letting the sea breeze and the strong sunshine hit my body. I know I'm going to get sunburn, but it didn't really matter to me that time.

The fish net were laid neatly on one side of the bridge.



When I turned back to look at the temple... it was so small up in the hill. Another great sight. :) The harmony of 2 different cultures.



On another side of the bridge, you will see mangrove forest in Sarawak. It is neither full tide nor low tide. These wooden poles are for holding the fishermen boats.



Next to this mangrove forest, you will see a typical Malay fishing village in Sarawak. To avoid from the tide effect, all the houses were built with wooden legs. And very colourful painting on each of the house. One fren told me before that the wood used is kind of unique, the kind of wood that the more it is soaked inside water, the harder the wood gets. Hmm... I wonder how true it is.

Every house owns a sampan (small wooden boat that you will commonly see in Sarawak), just like the way in the city, every house owns a car.



When I went back to meet up with my mum... she was busy buying some crabs. One kilogram was for RM17... I would consider that cheap.

Later, they told me they paid RM10 for 3 litres of fuel. Mum and auntie were quite unsatisfy with the robbing action...

"Better than your car dun move afterward rite? You wanna pay for the fuel, or you wanna push the car later on?" Uncle teased mum...

"..." That kind of really reminded my mummy. Kekeke...

Later that day, mum cooked them... but I went out for dinner, by the time I reached home, the crabs has gone. *fast*

How do you like Muara Tebas? :)

12 Comments:

At 12:50 PM, Blogger SiaoChaBoa said...

Very interesting ..FF,
Everything seems so cheap compared to singapore.

 
At 4:59 PM, Blogger letti said...

wow, what nice pictures and it looks like you're off having adventures all the time!

 
At 6:50 PM, Blogger MunKit said...

hey horseshoes are threatened (almost endangered) species!! we should help conserve their population by not buying them..

community service msg from mk :P

 
At 2:29 AM, Blogger mei gie said...

For me, i dont think i will buy the horseshoe crabs, not because i want to conserve their population, but i dont eat the 'eggs' of a crab. No meat...means no good!!!

 
At 6:56 AM, Blogger fish fish said...

mrs t : Yap, definitely cheaper than Sin.

letti : Yah... it was quite a nice time. More adventures to come. :P

munkit : *nod head* Good msg boy~

mei gie : Dun know bout the egg, but crab egg taste really good. Dun know if the egg similar to the crab one.

 
At 7:12 AM, Blogger cooknengr said...

Hey Fish Fish, works liaw. Err if you call that " while letting the sea breeze and the strong sunshine hit my body. I know I'm going to get sunburn", well, little Hitam Manis fish,可愛的小黑鯧魚 when you come to L.A. you'll be Ikan Pangang :)

 
At 8:34 AM, Blogger Acrix said...

Interesting post on the Horseshoe crab :P Never seen one be4 in real life~ Hmm i normally dun eat the egg from crabs coz they r high in cholesterol :P ANyway, paying rm 10 is seriously better than having to push the car...haha lucky u dun have to help push the car!

 
At 4:24 PM, Blogger Ben said...

Interesting to see the horseshoe crabs. I'd heard that heir blood doesn't use haemoglobin to carry oxygen (it's blue?) and that people are able to harvest some compounds/goodies/assorted stuff from their blood. Is that true?

 
At 12:34 AM, Blogger fish fish said...

cooknengr : Ikan panggang?? Dun want ler, smell like charcoal nanti. Kekeke... I wonder if LA will be hotter than Kyoto or not? *roll eyes*

acrix : ;) Fish Fish won't mind pushing the car. But it was more like a problem for the 2 other ladies. :P Kekeke... if really so, I think I will get my mum to pay me RM100 for the pushing fee. Robbery!! Kyak kyak kyak!!

BHR : Yap, I read in the internet too... Here are the quotes from it.

For why the blood is blue : The horseshoe crab's blood is blue due to a chemical reaction between copper and an oxygen-carrying protein called hemocyanin.

For medical : An extract of the horseshoe crab's blood is used by the pharmaceutical and medical device industries to ensure that their products, e.g., intravenous drugs, vaccines, and medical devices, are free of bacterial contamination. No other test works as easily or reliably for this purpose.

 
At 7:16 AM, Blogger cooknengr said...

Hey Fish Fish, L.A. Should be nice and sunny in the summer. It's ok to get a nice tan so your KL friend would not complement you "哇!好棒喔,你的皮膚幾白" :)

 
At 1:43 AM, Blogger fish fish said...

cooknengr : Da Ge, you say foul word again. *blehhhhh~~~*

 
At 3:05 AM, Blogger [LADYKiKi] said...

ey.. i staykat sane T_T

 

Post a Comment

<< Home