Kuishinbo~Meow~

I eat so much until people call me Dr. Fish Fish.

Sunday, March 27, 2005

Nam Kwong Cafe (Feb 18)

On that Friday morning, Eddie and Ann came to pick Ber Bert and me around 7.00am. We were goin to have a nice trekking at Kubah National Park. This national park is one of the 15 national parks that are under Sarawak Forestry.


We stopped by in Nam Kwong cafe (南光) to have breakfast. Nam Kwong is located in old 3rd mile market area, can be easily spotted once you go from the entrance opposite Sunny Hill School.



Eddie ordered one Foochow delicacy, called Cao Zhu Mian (炒煮麺), literally means stir fry and boil noodle. Prawn and pig liver are the main things that decide the umami taste of the noodle soup.



Cheh! Someone acted cool with his noodle... and... the mystery 3rd hand~ Make a guess whose hand it was. ;)



As for fish fish, ordered another type of Foochow special, Ding Bian Hu (鼎邊糊). I'm too lazy to explain what it is, if you are interested, please go to read a good explanation by Eddie. :P

Ok, it didn't has the Golden Needle Flower that Eddie said essential for a genuine one. But I like the taste of this cafe. I had a few in other places before, not thick enough. Bert Bert was telling me his mum made a very delicious on.


Bert Bert ordered Tomato Kueh Tiaw, a famous Kuching delicacy. Hmm... I don't really favour the version in this shop. As usual, it only tasted so so on that day. I prefer to have a home-made fish fish Tomato Kueh Tiaw or Mee... Yum Yum~ making me feel like to make one for myself liao~ No time, so now I'm gulping instant Japanese soba while typing this post. :P


Road to Kubah


After the breakfast, we started our journey. After around 30 min, finally get to see the Gunung Serapi (Serapi Mountain, or local prefer to call it Matang Mountain in common). The yellow arrow is the point where we were going to hike until.



Eddie is a very careful driver. Definitely not like fish fish. You can go to read his description on my driving. -_-"

He followed this pickup truck patiently for quite a while before we headover it. Heee... good time for me to take a picture. ;)



It was quite a foggy morning.



And the road was wet, due to rain a while ago.

Well, we reached the place finally.



We saw a lot of this lovely red tiny flower at the carpark area. The local call this Firecracker flower. One of my favorite flower when I was a kid. My neighbour had a very nice one... And frequently, I'll go to play with the flower, to make the cracker 'Pik Pik Pak Pak' by pressing the non-yet-bloom buds... and oso to suck the honey from the tips of the flowers.

Ok... tomolo, I'll start a very long post about our nice hiking. I will devide it into 2-3 posts.

Tata~

12 Comments:

At 3:46 AM, Blogger SiaoChaBoa said...

Hey.. FF,
Yer Da Ge .. very stylo malo with hat.. ;) and i guess the hand belongs to Ann.. :) Food looks yummy.. but i never had Foochow food before.. i donch think anyways.
Mountain looks very foggy.. almost remind me.. of my trip up to fuji mountain.. ;) And yes.. Eddie described yer driving as very garang..hahha!

 
At 4:58 AM, Anonymous mrkiasu said...

Can i ask you ha, how come your life everyday got adventure one. What's your job actually one.

 
At 7:23 AM, Blogger Kervin said...

Wah travelling and eating your heart out! You can always go apply for Discovery Channel's travel and living, can beat Ian's pants off. Anyway hehe sorry never comment on most of your post though they're sooo interesting, most probably go like this for everyone of them;

"slurp slurp drool drool appetite hitting the roof turning green with envy"

hahaha, like it best that you describe Japanese dishes, only see those in Japanese anime.

 
At 1:54 PM, Blogger Saffron said...

So cham, kena kutuk bout driving. :( But hey, at least the food was good, heheh.

OMG I do that with the firecracker flower too! And the other red flower the the crossed-type petals. When I find out the name I will repost, heheh.

 
At 4:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Isn’t Nam Kwong used to be a grocery store unless I’m mistaken? Located opposite the car mechanic store inside the bus#3(?) U-turn, right?

Nostalgic-Fish (a.k.a. Fish-Eater)

 
At 6:31 PM, Blogger -ms jumbled mind- said...

I dont know what her job is but I think she should be a food critic or a food review journalist!!!! :)

 
At 8:32 PM, Blogger 5xmom ~chanlilian.net~ said...

fish fish - Aiyoh...the noodles. I love pig's spare parts (bad I know) and am drooling over the noodle. I had been to Kuching before and did not know what to eat! (staying at Kuching Riverside Hilton or something).

And the firecracker flowers! I love it, I blog it before, remembering my dad.
http://chanlilian.net/archives/2005/03/happiness_is.html

 
At 10:55 PM, Blogger Phan said...

Fish fish,

I made a tomato curry noodle before. The picture is at www.kintarestaurant.com
It is the first picture.

I first made a tomato chili paste flavored with spices and then add it to the curry noodle.

It is one of my unusual dishes hehe but taste not bad according to Dennis :oP

 
At 11:54 PM, Blogger fish fish said...

mrs t : Bingo... it's Ann's hand. Her favorite hand sign.

mrkiasu : It was my delay posts from Kuching. I dun have a job now, I'm still a student like you. :P

kervin : No worry. ;) Thanks for the silent support all the time actually. Btw, think I'm too amateur for Discovery lar~ :P

saffron : *shake hand* Happy to know someone has same interest for that too. Waiting for your post for tat then. ;)

Nostalgic-fish : bus #3(?)Do you mean the bus number? Anyway, the grocery store is beside it, called Nong Yet. If we are referring to the same shop. :P

-ms jumbled mind- : I'm just a student in food technology that like to eat, eat and eat. Kekeke...

5xmom : Sayang lor~ next time you go Kuching, hope you know what to look for liao~ ;) Btw, have owez wanted to tell you this, "I love you photos, they are splendid!! Especially close up pic, you manage to catch very good ones."

phan : Oh dear, I've never tried to make one tomato curry noodle before actually. But I read on Asian Vegan that Dennis made one review bout tomato curry, if I didn't remember wrong. You should try make tomato noodle too. Hey, how bout this, if we meet, I make tomato noodle for you, and you make tomato curry noodle for me. :P

 
At 5:57 PM, Blogger Phan said...

fish fish,

I love your idea about the tomato exchange :OD. Dennis will for sure say that it is worth washing dishes for us if he is elected to try out both dishes :oP.

 
At 5:59 PM, Blogger Phan said...

fish fish,

I love your idea about the tomato exchange :OD. Dennis will for sure say that it is worth washing dishes for us if he is elected to try out both dishes :oP.

 
At 12:29 AM, Blogger fish fish said...

Phan : Dealt dear~ Woo Hoo! No need to wash big biscuit. Good~

 

Post a Comment

<< Home