Kuishinbo~Meow~

I eat so much until people call me Dr. Fish Fish.

Sunday, April 17, 2005

Blah Blah in Taishikan

I went to my visa application's interview in the Embassy of the United States this morning.

:) Remember I said I got a news to tell everyone? I think I can reveal it now. Yes, I've been accepted for doing an oral presentation in New Orleans this July.

Hmm... that means these 3 months going to be a very busy time for me. Must try to finish my 2nd journal paper to submit it (-_-", been saying this to myself for quite a long time). Also, to do as much research and get good data for it.

Oh~ New Orleans... wait for me. I shall try to undress you layer by layer with my own hands. ;)
Oh~ Yosemite... my beauty that I've been dreaming. Please give your most charming smile to me. ^_^

Anyway, back to what happened in the Embassy. I reached there around 1010. Before entering the main door, I had to leave my PET bottle outside. Then, a machine scanned through my suitcase while I was scanned by a sensoring gate. I had to leave my mobile phone with the security guards as not any short of electrical and communication appliances are allowed.

Then, a lady checked my documents to see if they were completed. Up I were told to the 3rd floor. Lined up to get my application for inspection by another Japanese lady. There were 3 counters for doing this process.

Later, I was asked to sit and wait. While waiting, I took my chance to observe how the interviews were conducted for the other applicants.

After a few minutes of observation, I got my conclusion. If one was asked to go to counter No.4 for an interview, most likely it would be a quick and safe play. However, if you were asked to have your interview in counter No.5, then it will mean a hard task for you to get the visa.

For counter No.4, usually the staff called 4 applicants for lining up at one time. Usually, one applicant will finish the interview in 2-3 minutes.

In counter No. 5, almost 90% of the applicants were rejected on the spot. Those that I saw included :

1. A very well-dressed black suit guy, who tried hard to speak his terribly broken English with the staff. I couldn't figure out whether he is a Japanese or Chinese. However, I know he speaks fluent Japanese. I just don't understand why he didn't want to use Japanese to communicate with the American staff that speak the Japanese fluently. All I know was, he lost in his defense for the visa application. A very hard to read expression on his face. He then sat back to a chair, muttering continuously, before he left after 15 minutes murmuring to himself.

2. Three middle-aged Taiwanese ladies that dressed in "sexy" way, with thick makeup and overemphasize curve-line on their boobs. I heard the interviews content as I was sitting near the counter. Hmm... 2 of them are remarried, with one just got remarried last year June in Japan. Seem like their teenage children all in Taiwan. When the staff asked her "Why do you want to go to US when your marriage is not even a year yet?" She seem to be startled by the unexpected doubt from the staff. She remained silent. So... their reactions caused a suspicious doubt by the staff on their real intention for going to the US. One by one they had their interviews, one by one they were rejected for their applications. One of them asked "What is the reason for rejecting me??" "The answer is written on your application", was the staff reply.

3. A young guy, didn't have any clear idea what was the visa application for. All I know was the staff asked him many questions, despite that, the final decision was still a rejection. "Please, I beg you to approve my application. No other way?" He was appealing to the staff. "I'm sorry. Rule is rule. Please understand that." A great disappointment on his face while he walked powerlessly away.

I had my turn, to be called to counter Number 4.

In front of me, a young lady was asked, "So, you are an English teacher?"

"Yes, I am. For 6 years"

"But, you want to go to the US to study English?" The staff asked.

"Yes."

"But why? Since you already are an English teacher." Hmm, a challenging question from the staff.

"I... I want to level up my English... English ability." Her answer sound nervous.

"Do you think you should teach English while you have to learn English?" Man~ another tough question for her.

However, she didn't understand the meaning of this sentence, until he has to repeat it 5 times, finally he gave up and repeat that in Japanese for her. Eventually she got his point.

Well, apart from that, she will get her visa in one week. :)

Now... it was finally fish fish's turn, after a half hour waiting.

"Miss Yong?"

"Yes I am. Good morning."

So, he confirmed my school's name. How long I've been in Japan. What scholarship that I am receiving. Then, it came to an interesting part...

"What are you studying?"

"Food Science." I replied.

"Ah~ so what do you think on Vegetarianism?" Heee... an unexpected question from him. It sound more like a sought for opinion.

"I am a vegetarian." I replied.

"Oh~ you are? Me too." Heee... he was smiling with a row of white sparkling teeth.

"Wow! That's great." Don't know why, everytime when I know a person is a vegetarian, a kind of familiarity will arouse from me.

"My wife is a vegan. Do you know what is that?"

"Definitely. It ss a more strict diet though. Need to be careful in planning a well-balanced diet."

"So, you do agree vegetarian is a good diet?" He asked his question again.

"It depends. It will be a good diet if you know how to practice it in a healthy way." I smiled at him.

"Ok, we are going to give you the visa in on week or less. Have a nice trip then." Finally, I was assured my visa application approved.

"Thank you so much." Yah hoo~ I screamed inside. :P

After retrieving back my belongings, I walked out from the strictly guarded Embassy compound.

My steps were light. The rays of noon-sun above my head was strong. It wasn't really a matter. \(^_^)/

24 Comments:

At 10:28 PM, Blogger Wilson said...

Congrats. Hope you have an enjoyable trip!!

 
At 10:28 PM, Blogger Dennis said...

Hey congratulations fish fish! Wow, you're so lucky to meet up with a vegetarian interviewer with a vegan wife, hehe. Vegetarians of the world, unite! ^_^

 
At 11:17 PM, Blogger -ms jumbled mind- said...

congratulations..lol I can remember my trip to the US Embassy :) I must say the people there are quite pleasant. The ones interviewing I mean..not those at the entrance :P

 
At 12:46 AM, Anonymous winterx said...

congrats fish fish! ^_^
sounds like it's going to be a fun trip! am happy for ya.

 
At 1:16 AM, Blogger 5xmom ~chanlilian.net~ said...

Congrats fish fish. You lucky girl! Looking forward to your US food and travel experiences.

 
At 3:57 AM, Blogger mmulibra said...

wow good news.. more blogs on foods in US is coming soon huh :-)

 
At 5:18 AM, Blogger Acrix said...

Congratz~ can't wait to read the entries bout ur trip next time

 
At 11:27 AM, Anonymous Julia said...

Congrats, fish fish! All the best for your presentation, and don't forget to share with us the good eats from New Orleans. :)

 
At 4:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yokatta!! Must visit San Francisco, ok?? Blackwidow

 
At 5:20 PM, Blogger guy said...

congrats fish fish!

 
At 7:38 PM, Blogger Saffron said...

How long you prepared for the inteview? Anyway, glad to see all your hard work paid off, and best of luck with the presentation. :)

Congrats!

 
At 8:48 PM, Blogger cooknengr said...

Hey Fish Fish, good job, I didn't realize fish has ears 而且耳朵很尖 captured all the interviews :)

We are so proud of Kuching blogger participate in 學術講座, 來, 大家拍掌, 鼓勵! 鼓勵!

加油! 加油! 加點魚肝油! : )

 
At 10:11 PM, Blogger Julie said...

ui fish fish.. gung hi saiiiii.. realli happy for u (=

 
At 10:33 PM, Blogger Evil Jonny said...

So HAPPY for you, Fish Fish! I hope you'll enjoy staying in the US.

Oh, this is crazy, but I am going to New Orleans in AUGUST. Too bad we are going to miss each other by only one month!!!!! Boohoo!

Anyway, hope you can suggest some good restaurants to me after your stay. :-D

 
At 10:59 PM, Blogger Reid said...

Hi fish fish,

CONGRATULATIONS! Good luck in New Orleans. There's a lot to do and see there! Hope you have a nice time! =)

 
At 11:22 PM, Blogger cooknengr said...

Hey Fish Fish, before I forget, in Nawleans, gotta have dinner at the world famous Commander's
http://www.commanderspalace.com/

Beignet and Chicory Coffee ( get the decaf) at the French Market.

Take a bayou tour.

Voodoo Museum.

Of course the Bourbon street,

Are you getting a party shirt too ?

 
At 12:02 AM, Blogger mrstweety said...

Congrats..FF!! Have fun..!!

 
At 1:33 AM, Blogger fish fish said...

Dear all, thanks a lot for the nice wishes here. Really feel touch to know many of you giving me a warm concern. But I'll just reply your comments here with mostly one this time. Hope you all dun mind.

saffron : I didn't prepare for the interview. But only the preparation of the documents are troublesome.

cooknengr : They talked like a loudspeaker. Not my ears sharp. Jot down the must do points from you liao about New Orleans. Terima kasih.

kimchijon : Too bad~ You go to New Orleans for what in august?

 
At 7:21 AM, Blogger Evil Jonny said...

Hi Fish,

I'm going to New Orleans in August for a professional conference... I guess you're not staying that long, right?

 
At 10:27 AM, Blogger min said...

Congrats fishfish!!!

 
At 3:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow!!! Great writing FF. As I read, I could visualize all the different people and the surrounding in my head. You really got me engrossed into everything. Also, congratulations on your achievements. You must be doing good things to be picked to do a presentation in New Orleans. Ganbate and have fun and enjoy, enjoy, enjoy........lance

 
At 3:00 AM, Blogger fish fish said...

Kimchi Jon : Yap, would be in Japan again in August.

min : TQ. ^_^

lance : You know how I get this chance? Actually my sensei wanted to bring me to Cork in Ireland to do my presentation in last year October. But in the end, he only brought my poster went with him due to $$ problem. So, as a replacement for what he have done, he promised to let me do my presentation in New Orleans. And so, I applied, I got it... and he has to fulfill his promise this time. Kekeke... I wonder which one is better? :P

 
At 9:15 PM, Blogger Patrick Leong said...

wah i cannot believe that you are actually eavesdropping !!! anyway congrats for getting the visa. gambatte.

 
At 1:26 AM, Blogger fish fish said...

Patrick : They speak like loudspeaker, ok?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home