Kuishinbo~Meow~

I eat so much until people call me Dr. Fish Fish.

Wednesday, April 20, 2005

Peace's Set Lunch (Mac 3)

I feel better today. Dumped myself on bed for a long sleep. Tell myself again not worth for my emotion driven bad by those square heads. Anyway, I'm too busy today even to think about it. Busy is a good thing to make you forget unhappy stuffs. :)

Well, this was one of the food review that I am supposed to post especially for Dennis and Phan. Here you are, my dears. ;) Hope you like it.

Btw, Dennis and Phan's site is a good place for you to see how creative vegetarian foods can be. I believe Phan's ever creative mind in making good looking and yummilicious foods sure will be able to capture her long term customers once her business starts. Go go!!

This is a post of a not-new cafe from fish fish. A place called Cafe Peace. A favorite vegetarian restaurant of mine. Please go to the 1st post and 2nd post about dinners that I had there.

Today, I'm going to do a review on their special set-lunch. I quite like the concept of this set-lunch. :)



They have a nice hand-written menu for this set lunch. The foods listed in the menu are all the things you will be served in that day set-lunch, with a reasonable price for only 950yen. Sylvia, Mirian and me each ordered a set.

In Japan, it is very common for restaurants to offer this type of special set meal that changes from day to day. It is called Higawari Teishoku (日替わり定食).



While waiting for my foot to be ready, I noticed a special can of black salt on our table. I tried to sprinkle some for tasting. Well, they mixed it with normal table salt. But I can see stained dots on the white sand. Imported from Mongolia.

A lick on it... How would I say, it is just simply not about "salty". There was a very unique savoury taste in it too. I was thinking to buy one, but 750yen for one back fish fish off. :P



The original look on the black salt stone. Heee... look like an unprocessed crystal stone.



Finally, we got our meals after less than 15min waiting, regardless the place was quite congested with people having lunch. This was the whole set-lunch that we had on that noon. Infact, 90% of the customers tend to order this set lunch.

In fact, apart from the set lunch, there were also a few other options available. However, it wil be taking longer time, and not as generous portion as this special set lunch. So, for saving time of preparation and time of waiting for both parties, the set lunch is definitely a good choice.

Inside this special set...



I had a very nice bowl of germinated unpolished rice. Sprinkle of perilla plum powder accentuated the plain but healthy rice taste. Genius combination.



3 of the main dish for that day. 3 nice pieces of Lotus Root Tempura Sandwich with Soy Meat inside. This was this only dish one the set that required preparation just before serving. So, the only time to take was on frying it. And that's why the set lunch can be served fast. It is definitely a good choice for a rush lunch normally. In Japan, usually lunch time is for 45min only. So you see the necessity in offering a quick yet yummy lunch.



A closer look at the soymeat inside. It was freshly fried. I added some black salt to it. Man~ the crispy outer-coating with the crunchy lotus root gave such a good contrast mouthfeel with its soft and juicy soy meat. A divine tempura, much better than most of the tempura I had before. It was not that oily. I also tried with the green tea powder salt that attached with the dish, well, as the black salt was my first time, I think it gave me a stronger satisfaction.

Mmmm~~~ definitely one of the dish that will gain popularity.



These were the 2 other main dish. The left one was Steamed Cabbage in Soymilk Cream Sauce while the right one is Simmered Green Vege Dressed with Peanut Sauce.

They are more like a cold dish, so that the staffs can just prepared earlier and just loaded them on the place once the new order was made.

I love the Green Vege. A brilliant mixture with the peanute sauce. A bit disappointed with the cabbage, too creamy that it masked the sweetness of the cabbage.



A nice bowl of "Today's Misa Soup". It was nice. I was amused by their idea of using sweet potato as one of the vege in the soup. The sweet taste of the potato matched the whole soup regardless that it was supposed to be a sweet thing for dessert time.



We also had a small plate of home-made pickles for eating with the plain rice, and a nice cube of soymilk pudding with black sesame. Again... the pudding... I must say tasted brilliant. Smooth and soft, definitely irresistible for a sweet tooth, and yet not too sweet to be rejected by someone who is not so into sweet stuffs. ^_^



After the whole range of foods from salty to sweet, it was the best thing to clean the complex taste in my mouth with this nice glass of Rooibos Tea (Red Bush Tea).

I love this tea though it was my first time drinking it. It was so good, couldn't sense the bitter taste of a common tea. In curiosity, I asked the staff where was this tea from, the answer was kind of surprising when she told me it was from South Africa.

Here is a short quote from the link above about this tea.

"Rooibos Tea has a tasty flavor. It doesn't have any caffeine. It relieves depression. It relieves stress. It even relieves constipation, among a wide variety of other problems ranging from insomnia to colic. It helps you relax at bedtime but also keeps you refreshed during the day. The list of benefits goes on and on, but this herbal tea doesn't have any negative side effects!"

Sound so good to be true huh? Heee... maybe you should look for one to judge it for yourself. ;)



Heee... my lunch partner for the noon. Meet Mirian (left) and Sylvia (right).

Burpppp!!! the three gals.

11 Comments:

At 5:33 AM, Blogger Phan said...

Fish fish,

Thanks for the compliment. We feel proud to be the star of your post *Very Big Grins*. If you are able to make it to Portland, we can take care of your stay here and food is included :D. Just email your itinerary to us.

Sorry to hear what you have to go through for your DL. For fairness of the public's right of law, that dept cannot take your money for the previous exams since they reject you now using the right of the law. In the past, by accepting your money, they have given you the right to take the exam and cannot reject you again when you go for a follow-up of their first and previous acceptances of your right to take the exam. If they reject you now, they are revoking the process back to the initial phase and therefore they should refund you for the money if not the time loss and cost of your travel. You need a lawyer hehe. We have plenty here in the US.

 
At 5:53 AM, Blogger Phan said...

Btw, I like the idea of the perilla plum powder on rice. I will try that on the brown rice. I don't like brown rice because the taste is awful haha. The lotus stuffing method is another one that I like to experiment on. I have also seen sweet potatoes used in curries and soups here. However some of the dishes' flavor was not well-balanced. The sweetness of the potato turned out to be a little bit odd. I also thought of naming our place "Peace Cafe" but decided not too because we are not really activists. Yikes! Such a long post. Gomenii.

 
At 8:55 PM, Blogger cooknengr said...

Hey Fish Fish.. 750yen for a rock salt ? Ask mommy Fish send you 一蘿的 rocks from "shak Kok" you can mix with the salt too :)

 
At 11:49 PM, Blogger Reid said...

Hi fish fish,

The food looks so yummy. That lotus root tempura sandwich looks so good! =P And so does that soymilk pudding!

 
At 1:24 AM, Blogger fish fish said...

Phan : Well dear, no worry bout the long comments. I enjoyed reading them. ^o^ Btw, I decided to forget bout the DL matter. Just got my license today. Hey, so decided an apt name for your shop?

cooknengr : Sak kok rock will make me indigestion. -_-"

reid : Yap, they ar~

 
At 3:17 AM, Blogger Acrix said...

First time heard bout black salt~ Do they quote the content of the salt? Like wat other mineral is present~

Agree with Phan dat brown rice tasted aweful but no choice, my mum alwayz cooks and forces me to eat~ If i dun eat the rice, then gone is my meal! Sigh~ She;s been into organic stuffz since few years back and i find some of the foods sucky~

Anyway, I;ve tried rooibos tea once at the okonomiyaki stall and it;s kinda normal taste thou~ MAybe i dun have good taste bud and i duno how to appreciate it~ It;s recommended by the lady boss coz she said it;s healthy and i never bother to find out more bout it...

 
At 10:41 AM, Blogger Phan said...

Fish Fish,

Great that you have your DL finally. Yeah its best to forget the whole episode then sweat unnecessary anymore. We are in the middle of creating the website for the name. Should be done soon hehe.

 
At 11:31 AM, Blogger 5xmom ~chanlilian.net~ said...

Mistake to visit your blog at 2.30 am. Now hungry have to go to sleep. BTW, good luck with the visa's matter.

 
At 10:28 PM, Blogger fish fish said...

acrix : Hey, I think I can read ur mind bout kind of foods you like now after all these while observation. Kekkeke...

phan : Ganbatte! I'm waiting for the reveal. ^o^/~~~

5xmom : Duh~ why were you awake at that hr?? Not sleepy mer?

 
At 11:52 PM, Blogger Acrix said...

:p I only like few types of foods and i can keep on eating them for week without feeling bored~

 
At 2:51 AM, Blogger mrstweety said...

Hey..FF,
Love the food.. ;)
Never tried black salt before... sounds really interesting.. :) I think i would really like the tea.. ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home