Kuishinbo~Meow~

I eat so much until people call me Dr. Fish Fish.

Saturday, May 21, 2005

A Dinner with Obachan at Hub (May 21)

Had a very nice dinner with Obachan last night. I invited Patrick to join us as well. Surprisingly, this super busy guy was free to be with us, regardless of my last minute call. :P The three bloggers had a good moment at Hub eating, drinking and chatting. In fact, it was an evening I had quite an amount of alcohol after I didn't take any for a few months. My mood that night just felt like having something alcoholic sweet.

For those of you that didn't catch up with what happened on my 1st meet with Obachan, please click here.

I used to regularly went to Hub to have dinner few years back... Then I stopped for a couple years. But this year, I seem to go back for the foods again once in a while. I've posted about Hub when I had dinner there with Mirian and Sylvia.

This time, for the 1st round, below are the things we ordered. It was happy hour, all the cocktails either gave a 30% or 50% discount. We chose 30% discounted cocktail as our 1st drink. Plus, I have my student card with me, that gave us another 10% discount for all the things we purchased. ^_^ I just love being a "student" in Japan. Can save more money for all the "Students' Discount".



Patrick 1st drink is called China Blue. I didn't taste it... Hey, for Wubai fans, maybe you would like to order a glass of this China Blue. :P



I ordered this cute ball of Sun Head. A new cocktail in Hub under Football Cocktail Campaign until middle of June. My comment? Only got the look. The taste was so so only. Maybe because they mixed coconut with mango... and that tasted weird to me.



Obachan had a glass of Ditta Grapefruit with lychee flavour inside.

Kanpai!! For this mini bloggers' meeting. *slurp*

The foods were served after a little while...



The everytime must be ordered Omusoba (left) and Spicy Potato (right). The Omusoba this time was very nicely done. Yummy~ The Spicy Potato's bucket has changed shape.

In fact, the menu has quite a major changes, with many nice old dishes gone. Oh well, we'll just try with the new ones then.

Among them, we chose...



Prawn Fried Rice. Nice, but was not as good as the Dry Curry Fried Rice few years ago. Argh~ how I wish they offer the old Curry Fried Rice again.



Mentaiko Pizza was gone too. But they offered a new pizza called Salmon Potato Pizza. Obachan love salmon, so she specially requested for this.

This was a good choice. Tasted better than the Mentaiko Pizza actually. I especially like the munchy part of the bread.

After that, we decided to go for 2nd round on our drinks and foods again before the Happy Hour ended. The queue for making order was getting longer... after for quite some time...



I came back with these drinks.

The picture was actually a merge from 2 pictures, my 1st try. Look good?

Kahlua Milk (left) and Cassis Oolong (right) were both 1.5 times of the regular size. Patrick and me had Kahlua, whereby Obachan wanna tried on the Cassis Oolong. For a HUGE glass like this, it was for 310yen each only during Happy Hour. Furthermore, the student discount gave me a chance to pay only 270yen. Some strong drinkers were grabbing the chance to have as much as possible during this happy hour time.

I love the Kahlua milk. Haven't had any in ages... So creamy and going smooth down my throat. Mmm~~~

Obachan's choice tasted more like a fruity drink rather than alcohol. Kekeke... Hey! Obachan, it may taste fruity, but might easy to get drunken wor~



Gorgonzola Gnocchi attracted me, as I never had any Gnocchi before. It was spinach Gnocchi, but it tasted more like a mugwort Gnocchi, a slight bitterness, but I like it. A taste of "adulthood", as the Japanese like to say "Otona no aji". However, the gorgonzola sauce was too salty for Obachan and me, though Patrick thought it was just nice. It would be nice if we have cracker to dip on it.



The last dish we ordered... A silly mistake made by fish fish. I saw the picture in the menu showing "5 sticks of seafood spring rolls"... and the price is written 150yen. Woohoo! Happily, I went to order saying "1 please".

When the menu reached our table... All the 3 of us with big big eyes.... ONLY 1 stick...

???

Then we figured out... the menu showed BIG 150yen with "tiny" 1 stick written at the side. Ok, the spring roll was "long". But still, it was weird to see how only "1 stick" standing inside a big glass. Eventually, we were lazy to line up again that we just shared 1 stick among three of us. -_-"

This taught me a lesson... "Need to see the menu clearly too even in Japan".

Well Obachan... hope to see you again in Kansai soon. This time... KOBE?? Or maybe we should go to Shikoku instead. ^_^

22 Comments:

At 12:29 AM, Blogger SiaoChaBoa said...

So nice to have met up with Obachan again..FF.
I love Kahlua milk.. ;)

 
At 3:13 AM, Blogger Reid said...

Hi fish fish,

It's so nice that both you and Obachan get to meet up so frequently. Maybe we can all meet up if I come to Japan. The food here looks good!

 
At 3:44 AM, Blogger ~AnGeL~ said...

i vote for KOBE... kobe kobe kobe kobe kobe.....:):)

 
At 1:56 PM, Blogger ting-aling said...

Oh it must have been fun meeting with Obachan..

 
At 7:16 PM, Blogger cooknengr said...

Hey Fish Fish, I think the cocktails a little 不輪不類 one, very strange combination leh.

 
At 11:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow those cocktails look good and the food looks yummy! You're making me want more food...*sigh* But because of you and Reid, and OSlo foodie i had to have Malaysian food...Thank you! Now i want some cocktails! *sigh* ^-^


milgwimper

 
At 12:28 AM, Blogger pinkcocoa said...

hey ff
wow. That's nice to meet up with obachan again! The drinks all look lovely. I like the Sun Head, so cute! Pity about the flavour. And wahhh omusoba! I want I want :p I havent had this for ages. *yum* There's a tiny Jap restaurant here that offers omusoba. :) Love it! hehe.

 
At 12:34 AM, Blogger Lrong said...

If you come to Shikoku on your way to Kochi to visit Obachan, do drop by Takamatsu... If got time ah, I can take you all to some nice udon shops...

 
At 3:12 AM, Blogger fish fish said...

mrst : I prefer more milk less alcohol Kahlua Milk. ^_^

reid : Definitely! Would be my great pleasure then. When?

~angel~: Why do you think in the 1st hand I've suggested Kobe ar? ;)

ting-aling : Yap, indeed I had. The thing she told me about Airlines in US kind of making me "turn pale". :P

cooknengr : Ai yor~ this is called Ru Xiang Shui Shu... Yapunis cara.

milgwimper : kih... Reid and Oslo Foodie will be very happy as well if they read this. Hey, what kind of Malaysian foods that u had ar? Good?

pinkcocoa : Obachan can tell you the omusoba in Hub is Really good. ^_^

lrong : Of course... where can I left out Kagawa if I'm going to Kochi. But hor~ can jangan Sanuki Udon or not? 2 years back, when my lab went to Kawaga ken for Udon Kuidaore as lab trip, I got so sick of udon, then I couldn't take any udon for 1 year. -_-"

 
At 3:57 AM, Blogger Acrix said...

gnocchi? HMm, never heard be4 :P The spring roll reminded me of my lunch in secondary where i'll eat only 4 or 5 spring rolls as lunch :P Thou not as long but broader~

 
At 6:42 AM, Blogger obachan said...

Hi fish fish!
Thanks for the great time! I really enjoyed the dinner with you and Patrick. Omu-soba was GOOOOOOD. *drool* BTW, you did a great job merging 2 pictures into one. How could you do that?!

 
At 7:00 AM, Anonymous jane said...

wow! your HUB has much better food than the HUBs in Tokyo!!
oishiso~~

 
At 7:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Fish Fish, how was Kahlua ? Kahlua is a liqueur made wih coffee wo, may be the alcohol mellow down the caffeine. Ta Ker still remember Fish Fish is not a coffee person leh.

 
At 7:05 AM, Blogger cooknengr said...

Hey Fish Fish, how was Kahlua ? Kahlua is a liqueur made wih coffee wo, may be the alcohol mellow down the caffeine. Ta Ker still remember Fish Fish is not a coffee person leh.

 
At 10:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heyla Fish fish,

The first resto i went (leyang leyang) we had roti canai, Prawn mee, and Chow kueh teow, and ice kacang for dessert so yummy. Then yester day ordered out at Baba Neo, roti telur, popiah, Penang sar ho fun, Rojak, chicken rendang, blachan water spinach, hainnese (sp?) chicken rice, cocoanut milk rice. So good...my fav though had to be the water spinach, popiah, and rojak, and cocoanut milk rice...but everything there was way tasty, and i have you and reid and Oslo to thank for it. Well also my husband for trying other foods. Thanks, and keep up the good work!

Milgwimper

 
At 11:28 AM, Blogger 5xmom ~chanlilian.net~ said...

fish fish, how come i see newspaper with the spring roll like thing? Is it newspaper? *eye big big, scratching head*

 
At 7:26 PM, Blogger Primrose said...

Wah, can take back that Football Cocktail container ah? So cute wor. I had a good laugh on the spring roll order. One please... and they really gave you one stick! LOL!

 
At 7:52 PM, Blogger fish fish said...

acrix : Kekeke... imagine you don't eat those long spring roll already grow so long. If had it, no eyes see lor~

obachan : I'm using Photo Studio 2000, it has one function calls ステーチ. Dun know about other software though. It save my space for some posts that need a lot of pictures actually. ^o^

jane : Next time if you come to Kyoto, let's go and eat together then. ^_^

cooknengr : -_-" Now I know why after drinking it, I felt very weird. I even told Obachan I got drunk, but if fact I wasn't. I didn't know got coffee inside. Luckily, the alcohol portion not so much, I actually can taste the coffee inside, but then I thought coffee in alcohol, mana boleh mar~ I made I didn't sleep well for the whole nite. Stupid ikan!

Milgwimper : Wow!! That's quite a number of Malayysian foods that u have had. You should really make a visit to Malaysia for the authentic eat-as-much you can then. Btw, which country are you now? I'm curious. ^_^

5xmom : Heee... if you have read Obachan post about it, you will know the answer. Nope, it was not real newspaper, it is actually printed wrapping paper that specially designed as newspaper. Has a layer of coating for the side that intact with the food. For sure, Japan won't allow newspaper as wrapper like our malaysian nasi lemak style.

primrose : Can, but need to pay 200yen for one.

 
At 8:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fish Fish
I am in California, U.S.A. I would love to come and visit Malaysia! I love to travel, but lately I haven't had the means yet lately, but it is on the list of places I want to visit. Oh yeah food is definitely one of the reasons I want to visit! *sigh* so many countries, states provinces, parishes,, regions cities, towns tor visit and EAT in the world...*dreamy sigh* ^-^

milgwimper

 
At 10:00 PM, Blogger fish fish said...

milgwimper : *dreamy sigh* by fish fish too. Too many places to visit and eat. -_-" Hey, which part of California? Cooknengr in LA do quite a review about Malaysian restaurants there. ^_^

 
At 8:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Im in northern California! ahhh...I wish i could be in Southern when ya come, but i dont think I can. T_T I don't know if they have malaysian cuisine there, but then again you never know! I have very limited knowledge of L.A....I really hope you enjoy your visit, and I think your presentation will go very well.

 
At 8:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ohhh...I didnt quite read all of the last post Fish Fish, I will have to hit up cooknengr's website, too bad i dont get down to L.A. as much..ahh well You enjoy, and eats lots!


MILGWIMPER

 

Post a Comment

<< Home