Kuishinbo~Meow~

I eat so much until people call me Dr. Fish Fish.

Wednesday, May 25, 2005

Ramen - Menou Momofukutei (May 19)

Slept for 9 hrs, refreshed. Must be lack of rest for the mind lately, tend to bring my study and work into my dream... so last night I urged myself to throw them aside first.

I better do my post in this nice morning while I still have the energy. :P

Here you are... RAMEN~ ;)

麺翁百福亭

Last week, I went to a study trip to インスタントラーメン発明記念館 (The Momofuku Ando Instant Ramen Museum) organised by Agricultural Foreign Student Centre in Kyodai. I will talk about the Instant Ramen Museum series in coming posts.

Today, I'm going to make a review on another ramen shop that we visited for lunch that day.



It is called 麺翁百福亭 (Menou Momofukutei).

This ramen shop is quite unique as it is actually a collaboration between Nissin Foods (日清食品) and Hakata Ramen Shop Ippudou (一風堂). The one and only in whole of Japan.

I have made a review on Ippudou before, for those of you who are interested to know more, please click here.

Nissin Foods' president, Ando Momofuku was the inventor of the instant noodle, with the first instant ramen called Chicken Ramen was born in August 1958. Today, after almost half a century has past, as one of the 3 great inventions from Japan, instant ramen has became a part of important global eating culture, especially in Asia.

It - has instead form a great "eating culture revolution" through the whole world.

However, that will be for tomorrow.

Ok, come back to our Momofukutei Ramen. :P

It was lunch time, very jammed with hungry customers like us. Our number was quite big, so we had to separate into 2 groups, the table and the counter seats.



A feature that you will see in Ippudo as well... eat-as-much-as-you-like pickles.

I didn't like umeboshi (pickled plum) (left) go with ramen. However, the takana (right) is one of my greatest favorite topping in ramen.



I was seating beside Mirian at the counter. Both of us decided to order this pork-based soup ramen. One for 800yen. I didn't order the soysauce ramen, which is the original taste of the ramen in this shop, as I don't favour soysauce based ramen.

Fortunately, the soup was not porky as all as it looked. In fact, after adding lots of ground sesame, black pepper and chili oil... plus 2 big spoons of takana...

Muahaha!!! The great taste of the ramen was accentuated so much. Mirian said she was very lucky because I gave all the melting charsiew, tasty fish cake and chewy meat ball to her.

What was left in my bowl? The oh-so-creamy half-boiled egg. I just can't help but had a great kind of satisfaction after I gulp the whole half egg into my mouth. Slowly breaking them into small pieces, before I finally decided to swallow it.

Mmm~~~ divine!

The big bowl was finish by me until can see the bottom of the bowl. Kihkihkih...



As an offer for the lunch set, we could order side dishes with cheaper price. Mirian ordered one plate of this Chinese style manju for 150yen. She said both the skin and the filling inside was great.



The ramen was making me crazed for something sweet. So, my best choice at that moment would be this 100yen Annin Tofu (Almond Tofu).

So glad I made the right choice. It was simply very creamy kind of rich flavour, with texture that melted and slipped inside my mouth, before I was even in time to realise that.

This annin tofu was making me feeling high. The usual stage that I always have when I am enjoying some nice chocolate.

Burp! Stomach was round round. While waiting for Mirian to finish hers...



:P A picture of customers busy with their own foods.



The table seats were spacious, and the environment of the shop was good for a nice meal. However, I personally recommend experience of finishing a bowl of ramen in counter, it is definitely something worth to try for a Japanese cultural. ^_^

Another great feature of the shop... the service of the staffs really worth a visit again. Nice job done!

Heee... did I make you wanna crave for a bowl of ramen now? :P

8 Comments:

At 7:35 PM, Blogger Lrong said...

Ramen is nice but sometimes the oily layer on top is too yakky... I thought FF is vegetarian? But the soup is made from pork bones and all... how like that?

 
At 2:04 AM, Blogger SiaoChaBoa said...

Hey...FF,
Yes.. you make me crave for Ramen now.. hahah!!

 
At 4:03 AM, Blogger Reid said...

Hi fish fish,

I love ramen! That is what I miss most about Japan -- the countless ramen stalls. *sigh*

 
At 4:32 AM, Blogger Wilson said...

RAMEN!!! I will have a Japanese Sister in law soon....hehehe....First thing i will make her cook is Ramen!!! hehe!!

 
At 6:36 AM, Blogger Acrix said...

Yeah, desperately craving for a bowl of ramen now :p *drooling* Japanese charsew is nice!!! Just had some chinese ramen this afternoon and the tang pao was nice but too bad ur vegetarian~ I dun think they got vege version :P Erm wat;s takana?

 
At 10:55 AM, Anonymous Julia said...

Me too! I'm so wanting a piping, hot bowl of slurpy ramen now!

 
At 9:55 PM, Blogger fish fish said...

lrong : Kekeke... that's why I am putting a lot of sesame, pepper and chili oil. To mask the porky smell. -_-" Long story, tell you next time when we meet, ok?

mrst : oops! sorry. :P

reid : They number is increasing. Don't know how many hundreds of ramen stall oledi.

wilson : Really?! Your brother going to kahwin a Yapun Mui ar~ Congrats! Is she going to stay in Kuching with your family? Hey, better watch out wor if you want your diet go on. :P

acrix : Takana is leaf mustard. 高菜. They Japanese like to eat pickled leaf mustard. So do fish fish. ^_^

julia : :P So, did you ask your honey to bring you out makan a bowl of ramen after this?

 
At 4:25 AM, Blogger Wilson said...

Fishfish:

Yah...my bro gf is Yapun mui.....Just recently my father say bro want to marry liau....most probably stay in Perth...my second home town...

Yalor...poor me...diet diet diet......die....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home