Kuishinbo~Meow~

I eat so much until people call me Dr. Fish Fish.

Sunday, May 08, 2005

UTAGE 2005 in Osaka (May 1, Pt 2)

Heee... I'm back in action. Been very busy in the weekends. Work for 14hr per day in my lab. My finger is getting much better now. Need to wrap with band-aid during my work to avoid my half expose fingernail from separated from my finger. >_<

Ok, today going to talk on UTAGE Pt 2. We went to Pavilion 5 as our first pavillion of the day. 「宴」 (Utage) or BANQUET is the theme for this hall. It was amazing to see rows of gorgeous "cakes" that made from sugar.



Here is an example of a corner of the "cakes" exhibition. Yes, they were all made from sugar. I must say there were many splendid pieces. Among them, I personally love...



This sexy white mask with a violin. Hohoho... kind of mistery. How I wish I can put it on. Ah~ but on a 2nd thought, I wouldn't want it to melt on my face and become a "white mask". Kekeke...



I have a great passion towards insect. Except cockroach. I stood in front of this "beetle artpiece" as I was deeply impressed by its beauty. The colour was a brilliant combination. It is quite hard to believe that it was actually "sugar".



Ha! Another great favorite of mine. A miniature "zoo" under a pinkish sakura tree with chocolate bark. Ah~ who would have the gut to gulp this? Definitely not me. Too pretty to put into my mouth.



The next session in this pavilion is about dining table layout. Among them, I like this specially for kid layout. Yah~ nearly want to put the whole "biscuit house" into my bag. :P



Another favorite layout, with music as the theme. Simple, yet elegant. Imagine that when you are having a great dinner on a dining table like this... even without the real music, all the great pieces by Mozart, Beethoven and Tchaikovsky etc... will be playing in one's mind. ^_^



Next to it, the session for Western dishes. This was the layout that won Gold Prize for the Western session competition. Hmmm... too bad, the displays were all made from wax. It would be much better if the things inside the dishes were for real. But then, it wouldn't be practical to show real one for 11 days of exhibition.



One of the world 3 greatest cuisines - Chinese dishes. The first impression I had on them - beautiful and very colourful.



I was delighted to see real ingredients were displayed for this "佛跳牆" (Fou Tiao Chiang). Literally means "Monk jumps the wall". It is a very expensive soup in Chinese cuisine. Sharkfin, abalone, scallop, seahorse... this Fou Tiao Chiang is using seafood as the theme.



Hmmm... too bad, this "叫化鶏" (Beggar chicken) is another wax version. However, when I saw this dish, it reminded a nostalgic moment of mine, long time ago. When I was a kid, I has a baked chicken that used mud to cover the whole chicken. After the whole chicken was burnt inside very hot charcoal oven, until the whole mud harden like a ceramic, then my grandma has to use a hammer to break it. The turned into ceramic mud automatically separated from the nicely baked brown chicken in a perfect way. The taste? Was one of the best chicken I ever had in my life.



Chinese cookings are not just about ridiculous ingredients, complicated cooking steps, yummilicious tastes... but oso the beauty of the foods themselves. From the carving until the arrangement... everything is not a 2-minute work. It is a very luxurious combination.



Apart from all these... this vegetarian plate, though looked much simple, but never easy. Even the pagoda in the middle was carved from 1 stick of carrot would take quite some time for it. :) The white asparagus attracted me. It reminded me of a fresh white asparagus that I once had. Since then, I fall in love with it. But as it is a very expensive and rare veggie in Japan, it is hardly can be found in the market.



In the middle of this pavilion, many ceramic Chinese musical instrument were placed there. We were just in the right time to capture this nice musical performance by all these beautiful young ladies. Their body movements were so graceful... like blue swans that swim through a still water lake.

I only stayed to listen 1 song. Then I moved forward to finish the last session for Pavilion 5 with the music performance as background. Enjoyable.

Japanese Banquet... how would a banquet in Japan be completed without Japanese things?



A long row of various Japanese dishes layout. Among all of them, I love this one. Heeee... the lobster in the middle so big and red. And the idea of colourful Japanese desserts inside Western wine glasses was something I fonded of.

Finally, I reached the last session... Japanese artpieces.



Peacock and peony...



Japanese Bonzai...



A big pot of flower arrangement with assorted flowers.

Pretty?? All these were again magic work from - "sugar". ;)



Ha!! A huge pavilion indeed. After we finish this first hall... we were kind of tired oledi. Tired look on the faces of Aso, Mirian and Risa.

We were extremely hungry after a great torture of looking at these beautiful and look so mouth-watering art pieces with empty stomachs...

We need REAL FOOD...

FOOD~

Gimme! Gimme!

14 Comments:

At 2:08 AM, Blogger -ms jumbled mind- said...

oh wow, those are gorgeous. They look TOO good to eat!!!!!

 
At 3:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmm...I wonder what they will do with all those cakes and decoration pieces after the show is over? Do they throw it all away? Or will it end up in someone's mouth?
Lovely pictures...gorgeous food. Arghhh...am getting hungry now..
Ai Ling

 
At 3:38 AM, Blogger Saffron said...

ZOMG, who would have the heart to eat those??

Did you find out how long one of those pieces would last? Can keep as art, heheh.

 
At 7:54 AM, Blogger 5xmom ~chanlilian.net~ said...

fish fish, glad to see you posting. Been here every day waiting for your food.

So intricate and so real! I am amazed! Worth waiting for the photos.

 
At 10:19 AM, Anonymous lee said...

hi fishfish - you don't know me, but I thought that I should let you know that I've been reading your blog for quite some time now and enjoy it immensely! It's been great reading about your experiences and I especially love your photos =-)
Keep up the good work!

 
At 1:12 PM, Anonymous Darren said...

chinese food is indeed lovely, but too bad those artistic carved foods can't be kept long

 
At 2:59 PM, Anonymous Vegan Momma said...

Those pictures are beautiful.

 
At 11:19 PM, Blogger Lrong said...

This class project sure can get "A" alreadea... superb!

 
At 12:44 AM, Blogger fish fish said...

-ms jumbled mind- : Totally agree.

Ai Ling : Same Q on my mind. It would be such a waste to eat these great arts.

saffron : Well, as long as you don't let it contacts with water and fire, it can last until 100 years. :P No kidding.

5xmom : Thanks Lilian. :) I've been missing my blog too. But very busy these few days with my work.

lee : Hello~ it is nice to know I have a supportive silent reader like you. :) Thank you, I'll try my best to keep it going on.

darren : Nope, they can be kept for a very long time as long as the whole ingredient was from sugar. Until 100 years indeed, as long no water.

vegan momma : Thank you. ^_^

lrong : Kekeke... you mean the car ving, or our reporting bout the food expo? :P

 
At 9:41 PM, Blogger G said...

Wah, excellent photos, foods in a variety of colours and presentations, amazing. Look too beautiful to be eaten :)~~~

 
At 10:11 PM, Blogger Wilson said...

I wan to eat Japanese food NOW!!!!! ARGHHHHH!!!!!!!!!

 
At 1:02 AM, Blogger fish fish said...

g : They are. ;)

Wilson : Kekeke... thought u said you on diet?

 
At 6:54 AM, Blogger Wilson said...

Because of you loh....now diet down the drain.....

 
At 6:52 PM, Blogger SiaoChaBoa said...

Envy.. envy.. envy.. FF.. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home