Kuishinbo~Meow~

I eat so much until people call me Dr. Fish Fish.

Tuesday, May 10, 2005

UTAGE 2005 in Osaka (May 1, Pt 3)

UTAGE 2005 was indeed a place for me to have a closer intact with foods. After a great torture of seeing those amazing untouchable foods... we were badly in need for a good treatment on our corroded stomach. And so, time to cari cari makan. Muahaha!!

Pavilion 2

We went to Pavilion 2 as a good start. It was themed 「味の旅」 (Aji no Tabi) or "The Voyage of Palate". As the theme, you know our task here was to feed our poor stomach as much as possible. :P



First, we went to the Korean Town in the pavilion. Lots of Korean foodstuffs... many types of kimchi. Some stalls even have young Korean ladies to dress in traditional costumes to attract the customers. It was a strong competition as there were quite a number of stalls offering similar range of things.

We went away separately to buy the thing we wanted to taste.



Risa got a piece of Chijimi. Different from the Chijimi that my ex-senior used to make for us. Nice taste too. Instead of kochujang or kimchi sauce, this Chijimi pancake was using pepper powder for the spiciness.



Sushi is owez my favorite. I remembered years back, when I was still a highschool student, a fren on mine who worked with a Korean company offered me a Korean sushi. With sesame oil added dry nori and sesame seeds sprinkling on the top. I could never forget the nice taste. It was different from a Japanese sushi.

So, I decided to buy a Korean sushi to recall back the taste. To my great disappointment, it tasted plain. The rice was not sour enough, too sweet. And the nori was not using any sesame oil as well. It was just very normal taste. The kimchi in the middle was not bad. Ah well~ stomach empty, anything can hentam in. Anyway, this big pack was for 250yen, reasonable though.



Aso came back with a bowl of Korean Cold Noodle. Notice the usage of apple? Koreans like to use apples and pears in cooking. According to them, this will give a natural savoury taste to the dishes. A bowl like this was for 600yen.



The Korean Noodle that was used is a very thin and long type. It was my first time trying this type of Korean Noodle. Very munchy, nice. Ha!! See how enjoyable the breaking of the noodle by Aso and Mirian? Eating noodle this way will make the frenship long long run ya~ :P



When we wanted to go to the next session, I saw one stall was selling toppokgi. Toppokgi!! A Korean rice cake that I've long wanted to try. Without 2nd thought, I just bought a pack. Think it was for 300yen.

Great taste!! I love the mochi mochi kind of texture. The nicely grilled outer layer absorbed its spicy sweet salty sauce very well. Though the making of the toppokgi seem to be different from the normal Korean red hot style that I saw on TV... it was a very good 1st time for me. Mmm~ I'm loving it!

The next session were palce for selling a few types of Asian Foods.



This Thai foods stall caught our attentions. The red and green curry looked very temptating.



Mirian decided to get a green curry to try. It was 600yen. From the outlook, the curry didn't seem to be spicy at all... We were cheated by the look, it was indeed spicy. A kind of spiciness that came only after we swallowed the food. It was very milky kind of flavour, something that you wouldn't find in a Japanese curry as the Japanese curry doesn't use any coconut milk.

The ingredient of this curry was very simple... just bamboo shoot and chicken. But the taste... was indeed fabulous. One of the best dish we had for that day. The bamboo shoot was very soft and sweet. I think I'm going to like green curry more and more.

After our gulping time, we recharged ourselves for continuing exploration.



We came to the "100 types of noodle in Japan" session. There were 100 bowls of special noodles from all over Japan displayed there. Too bad, they were once again made from wax. See only, no touch.

Among them, these were some of the few that attracted me.



Houtou with azuki (thick flat noodle with red bean). I never know the existance of houtou. It was my first time encountered with this type of Japanese noodle. Aso told me this type of noodle is usually consumed in winter time. Hmm... must look for a real one next time. But definitely not with any red bean. I try to avoid read bean as much if possible. it is just not my cup of tea.



Another 1st time noodle for me. I didn't know what is the name of this noodle. But from the shape of the noodle, I believed it must be a very munchy type. Ah~ also a must try for me in the future.



Hohoho!!! I am sure this bowl of seafood ramen will capture the heart of seafood lovers. Just imagine a whole big crab, with prawn and abalone... Is it making you mouthwatering? Then you will have to go to Hokkaido to look for one. Hokkaido, I must go one day.



Basically, the focus of Pavilion 2 was on Asian noodles. Even the dragon was carrying a ramen bowl and holding a pair of chopsticks. So oriental.



I wanted to try some of the 100yen noodles... but looking at the heavy crowd as it was around noon time, I decided to come back later on.

Pavilion 3

We saved the time instead to visit the next hall, Pavilion 3 - The International Cuisine Pavilion. Due to our quite full stomach, we didn't hunt for main meals.

Instead, our focus was on dessert. Yum Yum~



Aso and me shared to buy a glass of berry juice... 100yen.



And a cone of berry vanilla ice cream. 200yen.

The berry was quite sour, but very thirst quenching. I like it. As for the ice cream, it was very good. The berry gave a very nice balance to the creamy sweet ice cream.



But above all, I love this juice the most. A combination of 小松菜 (Komatsuna) with Pineapple. Please, anyone that know the English name of Komatsuna, could you please tell me. Arigatou! ^_^

Brilliant blending. The bitterness of the Komatusna was completely masked by the sweetness of the pineapple. A very refreshing drink.

We didn't stay long in this pavilion as we wanted to finish another pavilion before we line up for the NANTA show.

Pavilion 4

This was called The Comfortable Dietary Creation Pavilion.

As described by the web site:

This pavilion offered rich gastronomic delights proposed by leading food-related companies. The hall staged an exhibition of tableware, tools, furniture, sundries and various other articles that capture our dietary life. It also showcased a collection of health foods and functional foods.



Some kind of cooking event was on. The four vege and fruit men were very cute. Singing all the nice 90's songs. People were moving their bodies and clapping hands with them. After every song ended, the waiters would serve another dish to those that participated. Every dish was prepared within 1 song time.



Next to it, was a few cooking classes. The main purpose was to teach the participants how to cook in a very easy, quick and convenient way by using their company's product. This one was a preparation of a simple Japanese style Salmon.



And this one, was another cooking class that taught one how to prepare crepe.

They looked fun. We were interested in the spaghetti or omelette rice. Unluckily, the tickets for joining the class have all been distributed.

By the time we finished a non-stop 4 hr exploration, our legs were kind of lost energy.



We decided we should just go earlier to the line up for the NANTA performance. We past thru the centre open space, an ice carving competition was just finished, and a judge was giving mark in front of the place I stood. We were there for only a few minutes.

Man~ we glad we went to do the lining up much earlier. Early bird gets the worm. Hohoho!! v(^o^)v

14 Comments:

At 2:07 AM, Blogger Patrick Leong said...

oohhh...i think i missed the utage exhibition. looks great. anyway are you going for aichi expo ?

 
At 4:11 AM, Blogger Reid said...

Hi fish fish,

Yum, yum, yum! Looks like there was a lot of food to eat there and it seems like you tried quite a few things. =)

I also find that Korean sushi is not as tasty as the Japanese kind, but here in Hawaii, they give you a dipping sauce for it which is spicy.

I also like duk bo ki. The one you had looks different from what we get here. Usually, it's stir fried with spicy sauce, veggies and fish cake. It's probably one of my favorite Korean dishes.

The curry and the other noodles dishes looks so yummy too!

Thanks for sharing! =P I feel full now.

 
At 7:12 AM, Blogger mei gie said...

I have not tried Korean sushi before....and i dont think i will try it since you said it was just too plain and sweet. I didn't know that there are many kinds of kimchi. I have only tasted the kimchi once but too sour liao. I love Japanese food but i would like to explore and try some Korean food too. Thanks for your review :).

 
At 7:16 AM, Blogger cooknengr said...

Hey Fish Fish, great food expo. If 阿嫂 or Mirian share noodle this way will an Itaian chef, do you think it end up "muak" like the cartoon ?

 
At 11:25 AM, Blogger Acrix said...

Hmm korean foods is kinda healthy with lotsa vege but too bad, they are spicy... I think i;ll get into crazy snapshooting mode if i;m there~ Am imagining eating the long noodle with a gal end to end and kissing :P

 
At 1:32 PM, Blogger Yuen Li said...

So, did anyone attempt to eat any of the wax models? ;)

 
At 12:37 AM, Blogger Lrong said...

FF, you amaze me... how could you possibly do all that while enjoying the food? If me ah, whack first lah, take later...

 
At 12:44 AM, Anonymous mrkiasu said...

lrong you must understand that she put the camera on top of the head, and it will automatically capture a shot every 10 seconds. Wah, so canggih, that's why got so many picture. Got timer one mah, aiyo i crapping with myself again.

 
At 1:00 AM, Blogger fish fish said...

patrick leong : Yes, most probably I will. Dun know when only. Wanna go together? We can go meet the Nagoya group too. ^_^

reid : That's the version of toppokgi that I really want to try. Ah~ now I know it is called duk bo ki in Hawaii.

mei gie : Not all korean sushi are sweet and plain. It just happened that I was unlucky enough to get a not yum yum one. Must try ar~ next time if you have a chance to see one. No try no know mar~

cooknengr : Qi Kou Pek Da Ge!

acrix : Hey, better dun make this your first kiss. The garlic taste will spoil the mood. Kekeke...

yuenli : Fish Fish do! :P

lrong : Coz I am a Flower Heart Fish. Kekeke...

mrkiasu : o_O How did you know. Oops... now you know fish fish is a four-hands alien. Kyak Kyak Kyak! Beware! ;)

 
At 1:13 AM, Blogger obachan said...

Ahhhh.... toppokgi! I want to try one, too. 300 yen for that amount is not bad at all. I envy you :O

 
At 6:53 AM, Blogger Wilson said...

So much food.....I think I am going to die.

I like korean food and I love kimchi. YUMMMY!!!

There goes my diet plans.....

 
At 11:10 PM, Blogger fish fish said...

obachan : Yap, the price was quite good.

wilson : Heee... no responsibility from fish fish ar~

 
At 10:05 PM, Blogger SiaoChaBoa said...

Yummy..!! FF.. i so envy you .. you know.. :)

 
At 10:05 PM, Blogger SiaoChaBoa said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home