Kuishinbo~Meow~

I eat so much until people call me Dr. Fish Fish.

Thursday, June 09, 2005

Tsujiri (May 31)

The day before Wai Wai and her family went back to Tokyo, I took half a day off to be with them.

Instead of rushing here and there in Kobe, they decided just to have a relaxing and slow stroll in Kyoto's downtown.

Before heading to Kyoto Station for taking Shinkansen, I decided to bring them to taste the Kyoto most famous dessert shop, Tsujiri (都路里) in Gion area.

Each of us somehow wanted to try different taste.


This is Houji Tea Parfait, with the jelly and ice cream are made from toasted tea. An order by Wai Wai's brother. Well, toasted tea never really been my cup of tea, I am more to a green tea person.


Wai Wai's mother wanna tried something fruity. So she had this Fruity Green Tea Parfait. Green tea parfait is the popular menu in this shop, they have a range of different green tea parfaits.

The 1st time I had a parfait in Tsujiri was a few years ago, with a Japanese friend and her mother in the Tsujiri branch at Kyoto Station's Isetan.

As I don't like red bean, when my parfait came up that time with the red bean, I was panicked... but not good to say out as it was a treat by my friend's mother. So, I just shut my eyes and ate it... surprisingly, the red bean was good. The green tea ice cream was even better... since then, I've always wanna have my second try, but every time when I went, either the one in Gion or Isetan, it is always fulled with people lining up for their turn... So I always gave up.

So, this is actually my 2nd time to the shop, what more to the ever congested Gion Tsujiri without even have to line up for it... Woohoo~~~ I was indeed very happy The conclusion is... only come in weekdays, during off peak hour time... Remember this rule when you want to try this shop next time. ;)

Ok, back to the parfait... :P


Wai Wai's parfait is a Green Tea Castella, a modified version from the conventional Green Tea Parfait.

Most Japanese love~ castella... In fact, castella in Japan is expensive. Indeed, I had a great cultural shock when I first acknowledged of what we called "Ji Dan Gao" (sponge cake) in Malaysia, could cost such a fortune in Japan.


Well, since fish fish is staying in Uji that produces best green tea in Japan, I wanna try something different from that.

Delighted me to see they offered this Unpolished Rice Tea Parfait.

The taste? Brilliant!! Very refreshing. The adjustment of sweetness in this parfait was just right, emphasized on the healthy value of the unpolished rice. I finish this big glass of parfait easily without even feeling too rich or satiated at the end. The combination with the green tea jelly was a wise one.

A parfait that I would certainly go for a second time. ^_^


Among us, only Wai Wai's daddy didn't order the parfait. Indeed, he chose this Seasonal Special Menu called "Yase". A combination of green tea syrup shave ice, 3 types of ice cream, 3 types of jelly and white bean paste.

Yap, it's a branded Japanese version of "ice kacang". A bowl like this cost 1000yen (RM35). Instead of using normal artificial colourful syrup that one can commonly find in Japan, this shop uses 100% green tea powder syrup.

It was a HUGE portion... Wai Wai's daddy could only finish half. So, Wai Wai and me kindly "tolong" him to finish the other half, but we could only finish 1/4 cause each of us already had a big glass of parfait. :P

I love the green tea shave ice soooo much. It was a high-class natural taste that can only be found in 100% natural ingredient. I think I'll go for it next time during a hot summer weekday. ^_^


Meet Wai Wai's mother (right) and her younger brother (left). They are curious with this "hole" style tatami seats. Kihkihkih... a modern tatami way for people to seat in a much more comfortable way.

If you come to Kyoto one day, and happen to pass by Gion area... Don't forget the Tsujiri. ^_<

Back to my work liao~ Ciao~

15 Comments:

At 2:02 AM, Blogger Fashionasia said...

aiks....too much green....err...feel like puking already...LOL. How on earth did you manage to finish all that?

 
At 2:13 AM, Blogger Primrose said...

Wah, green tea, green tea, green tea!! I want to make myself a cup of green tea now!

 
At 3:33 AM, Blogger mmulibra said...

Wah everything looks so green.. like your blog site hehe

 
At 6:14 AM, Blogger Wilson said...

Hmm....the greenery is really something....but they look delicious to me...yum yum!!!

 
At 7:12 AM, Blogger cooknengr said...

Hey Fish Fish, lets get a stall at 老行家 selling 擂荼 Parfait and Castella, we can use 甜粄 instead of 雞蛋糕....you don't even have to scare the Hakka customer, they will later 呵青屎.

 
At 7:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those all look SO DELICIOUS. I love anything matcha flavor! I'm glad you enjoyed your matcha parfait. Much better than shichimi ice cream, eh? Heh heh heh.
--Mariko/supereggplant

 
At 9:19 AM, Blogger Acrix said...

All of them look so yummy! But kinda expensive when converted to Rm :P GOna be broke if ever stay in Japan...

 
At 11:16 AM, Blogger MrsT said...

Yum.. yum .. FF,
So envy you.. :) i definitely will try if i ever visit... with my chloe.. :)

 
At 12:04 PM, Blogger Nightraveller said...

There's another branch of Tsujiri near 高台寺. It could be your 3rd place to hunt down those delicious parfaits.

 
At 9:14 PM, Blogger fish fish said...

fashionasia : Muahahaha!!! That's becaoz I'm a green monster....

primrose : Green tea is lovely.

mmulibra : You got it. ;)

wilson : I bet you will like them too after tasted them. ^_^

cooknengr : *pengsan* why must Lao Hang Jia, near to your house is it? Kihkihkih...

Mariko : Yap yap, much better than shichimi. I am a fetish towards maccha too. :P

acrix : Ya lor~ so I don't convert into Malaysian ringgit, or else I wouldn't have any gut to buy anything liao~

mrst : If I'm still here by that time, it will be on my treat.

nightraveller : Yap, I know bout the 3rd one. But not convenient for me to go. You've been there?

 
At 4:28 AM, Blogger Reid said...

Hi fish_fish,

All of these desserts look so good and so big! I love anything with matcha flavor too. =)

 
At 7:07 PM, Blogger babe_kl said...

wished we have something like dat in KL

 
At 7:17 PM, Blogger fish fish said...

reid : The fragrance of maccha especially irresistible. I even use maccha detergent for my clothing. Kihkihkih...

babe_kl : I think they should have, since it is not difficult to find Arabic food in KL right?

 
At 7:38 PM, Blogger babe_kl said...

aint these japanese? :p kihkihkih

so far the japanese restaurants here usually serves macha ice cream... bleh!

 
At 2:11 AM, Blogger fish fish said...

babe_kl : oops... sorry!! replied wrong comment. Yah, maccha parfait would be quite difficult to get in KL.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home