Kuishinbo~Meow~

I eat so much until people call me Dr. Fish Fish.

Saturday, July 09, 2005

Spanish Cooking Class (July 1)

The day when my baby was having its birthday, I went to join an International Cooking Class for the 3rd time.

This time, is the country famous with the hot and passionate flamenco, SPAIN! ^_^

For the previous 2 times, if you are interested in the Ghanan and Brazillian cookings, please go here.

Ok, here I proudly present the traditional home-cook Spanish dishes...

There were 3 dishes made on that day.


By the time I reached at 5.30pm, which supposed to be the starting time, the chef have been doing the cooking halfway. These were part of the ingredients used.

Oo la la~ guess what? He was making Paella!!

Paella


It is one of my favorite Spanish dish. (Alright, I do not have much exposure to Spanish dish. :P So, among the one I have tried before, Paella is on the top of my list.)

a. The soup was in a boiling stage already when I reached there.

b. Then, rice was added into the soup.

c. After 20 minutes, the soup was getting dry as the rice absorbed the soup to soften.

d. Tra la la! Finally the paella was ready in 2 big paellera. *gulp* I couldn't help but kept swallowing my own saliva... *blush*

Oooo~~~ I was crying for food already by this stage. But, no no, the torturing process was still going on for me. -_-"


Gazpacho

While letting the Paella to cook slowly, the next dish, Gazpacho - an authentic Spanish soup originated from Andalucía was prepared.


Through years, gazpacho has been modified into different versions. However, the traditional Andalusian gazpacho will need red red tomatoes as the main ingredient. For this class, apple was also used to yield a more fruity taste.


Ha!! If you think we are gonna have a nice bowl of hot tomato soup... then you are wrong. It's summer... and yes, we are going to have COLD SOUP!! I have never seen one making cold soup like this, indeed it was a very good cooking class that opened fish fish's eyes. Don't you just love foods? When you think you know quite alot, then you'll be exposed to more and more unexpected new ones.

a. My first time seeing people "wash bread" for cooking. o_O Yes, gazpacho uses wet bread.

b. Then, with others ingredients, the wet bread was stuffed into a blender. Such a small one. So the blending process have to be divided into a few rounds.

c. After add in vinegar, olive oil, salt and water.... just press the button and let the blender did its job.

d. When the whole thing was blended into a homogenous state. It was done.


No troublesome heat nor satiating oily smell... everything was so raw and healthy.

Voila!! You have a big pot of nice thirst quencher for a hot summer day. Mix with the ice... and there you are, a very nice big pot of liquid salad.


Tortilla de patatas

The final dish for the class was a very simple yet delicious tapa (appetizer) from Spain. Spanish omelette - Tortilla de patatas. It is always eaten together with Paella.


The process was very simple.

a. Fried the cut potato into golden brown. Ah~ the potato looks so yummy!!

b. All the eggs were blended well in a ball.

c. Stir fry green capsicum and onion until soft.

d. Mix everything together then spread on a frying pan to let it cooks on one side.


Meet our nice chef for the day - Dr. Rafael Prieto. ^_^ It was fun to learn cooking with him actually, everything seem to be so piece of cake for him in the cooking. Don't you just love guys that know cooking?? In fact, guys are sexy when they are doing cooking. Tee hee hee...

The word he likes to use, "Tekitou ni"... meaning just "Do it fitting your taste". -_-"

Wah~ he gave me such a high feeling when he did a performance on turning-over the omelette by using a pot lid. Man~ that was really an amazing performance. Fish Fish was screaming out like a kid. :P


Then, a Japanese guy wanna to challenge on the stunt too.

Heee... he managed to cap the omelette on the lid nicely. *wipe cold sweat for him*


When I thought the dangerous part was over.... Oops, he did a mistake on the easier part.

Splash!!! Some of the omelette was spilt out.

"Ah~~~ shimatta", he was quite surprised with the unexpected "accident". Kihkihkih...


But then, his fighting spirit was good. He decided to challenge for a second time.

Yippie!! He done it. Good job! ^_^


May fish fish present you the 2 Giant Tortilla de patatas. I supposed most of you would like the upper one since it was not burnt. Ha!! You are going to be cheated by the look then. Why? The under layer of the top one was even darker than the bottom one. :P

Anyway, the preparation ended very fast. The fastest cooking class so far that I could sit down and ready to gulp on it.


The foods were devided into small portion for all the people that attended to "learn the cooking".

I noticed one interesting phenomenon. During the cooking time, it was always only less people around. However, during the eating session, the number of the attendance will increase double. Hmmm... I thought I was in some kind of illusion. However, when Mirian asked me about the same question, I know it was not.

Ah well... some people only like to eat. But a KPC like fish fish would love to learn the process from A-Z. It wouldn't be fun if I only eat it, but do not know anything about the thing that I am eating.

Blame it on my occupational disease. :P


Woo hoo~~~ finally we can touch our chopsticks already.

Ok, what is wrong in this picture? There are 2 very obvious one. Name it!

Paella - Splendid! Though a right Paella should be harder for the rice. I love this softer version. Finished in very short time.

Gazpacho : Lovely drink!! Definitely strongly recommended by fish fish if you are not afraid of pungent taste of raw garlic and onion. It will help to enhance your appetite in hot dead summer.

Tortilla de patatas : Heeee.. surprisingly, the burnt part tasted quite nice. Goes very well with a sprinkle of lemon juice.

Ah~ maybe next time I should make all these for my family then. But I wonder if the soup will suit their taste. Kihkihkih...


Part of the people that attended. It was really a fun time to join the cooking class and working together with others to make such a nice dinner.

THANK YOU!! ^_~

14 Comments:

At 1:28 AM, Blogger cooknengr said...

Hey Fish Fish

Wong #1 : Using Chopsticks with Palla.
Wong #2 : Gazpacho serve in glasses

Wong #3 : "indeed it was a very good cooking class that opened fish fish's eyes: Fishes do not have eye lid, they never close their eyes!

I like where the so wrong arrow pointing to... 指鹿為馬.

 
At 7:44 AM, Blogger Acrix said...

Wah even cooking can make fish fish so high :S So did u get wet *i mean the mouth area* ?

Gazpacho looks very heatlhy like those grains and vegetables blended juice :P Erm the very wrong stuff in the photo is the small bowl of oil? HAha~

 
At 7:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey! I recognized two ppl I know in the last picture! I liked your posts on the cooking classes. Keep it up!
Ai Ling

 
At 9:48 AM, Blogger cooknengr said...

Hey Fish Fish, not 指鹿為馬 I meant to say 聲東擊西. good job!

 
At 9:58 AM, Blogger 5xmom ~chanlilian.net~ said...

You seem to have such fun! I know why the guy dropped his eggs. Because you made him nervous with your camera! You are taking photos like a real Japanese now ya? Every step by step also you snap, snap, snap.

The photo - The soup served in glass and the tea in bowl?

 
At 11:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So lucky you ..FF,
Have so many types of cooking classes to attend..! ;)

MrsT

 
At 12:17 PM, Blogger letti said...

looks amazing!!!!!!

 
At 6:01 PM, Blogger Milly said...

wow..it seem very nice...!! aiyah..salive all come down laio

 
At 6:30 PM, Blogger Primrose said...

Yay! Back to an English post. :) Wah, the Paella looks good but I feel a little bit geli lar. Like all mixed into one and so soft. What's in it, by the way? You did not say wor.

 
At 4:32 AM, Blogger fish fish said...

cooknengr : Hey, wrong for the #3, I am a mermaid, remember?? Btw, the so wrong is my hint, where got people eat paella with Japanese tea one??

acrix : Of course... even flowed until my shirt. That's not OIL, it is tea lar~ Duh~~~

Ai Ling : Should be three. The 3rd one is Patrick, he wanted me to remain him censored. :P

5xmom : No choice ar~ I was finger pointed to do a full report about it mar~ Tea in Japan do serve in bowl, just that no Spanish dish should served with Japanese tea. :P I think the gazpacho do served in glass sometimes, not sure.

mrst : More classes to come. ^_^

letti : TQ. ^_^

milly : *quick quick hand over a napkin* ;)

primrose : Yap, back in English. Hey, the paella was cooked with saffrom and vege and chicken. Didn't used seafood for the paella this time. look geli, but sinfully yummy. *slurp*

 
At 8:23 AM, Blogger Makan Kings said...

fish fish,

Wow!! Good job! The paella and the tortilla look very good!

Cheers,
-Makan Kings-

 
At 4:10 AM, Blogger fish fish said...

makan kings : Yap, the chef did a great job. ^_^

 
At 1:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Fish!!

I'm Jordi, the webmaster of www.spain-recipes.com...

I'm glad you've tried - and linked to - my recipes!!!

I think you did it very well indeed!!!!

BTW, would you mind if I included some of your comments on my page? I believe they would be worth it!!!

Thanks

Jordi

 
At 4:26 PM, Blogger fish fish said...

Dear Jordi, sorry for this late reply. Just suddenly remember it, as this post is quite a while back.

You are definitely very welcome to include the comments. ^_^ In fact, I love the info of your website. It let me learnt more. Thank you!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home