Kuishinbo~Meow~

I eat so much until people call me Dr. Fish Fish.

Thursday, August 18, 2005

Fish Fish in USA (Pt 12)

My schedule for 21 till 27 July has been merely catching flight, visiting laboratory, eating and sleep. -_-"

I would say, it was very tiring. But at the same time, it was a very beneficial trip. It gave me a great opportunity to have a clearer mind where I wanna be after I finish my study.

I was too tired, I overslept. By the time I woke up, it was already 8am. *urgh~* I thought I have set up my alarm clock. -_-" Mr. Chow was hugging me too tight, until I slept too well. Luckily, I didn't say the exact time that I will be in the laboratory that day.

I quickly packed up all my things, dressed up myself...

...rushed to the lobby to have my fast breakfast.


A bagel with cheese spread. This was very good. In fact, this is my first time having bagel as my breakfast. Yum~ I like the chewy texture.

The little muffin was very nice too. Tasted very different from the one in Japan. But not so much on the blueberry roll. Too sweet.

Hmm... so Americans usually have these as breakfast?



Oh~ I spotted something very nostalgic. QUAKER OATMEAL!! It was one of my favorite when I was a kid. Ah~ I have never seen this in Japan.

So... I chose this maple and brown sugar oatmeal to try.

It was very interesting direction for preparing this oatmeal.

All I need was to get a microwaveable bowl, pour the content inside, add in hot water, and put in microwave for 5 minutes.



*CHIN!!* Voila!! A nice bowl of very yummy oatmeal was ready to be served. *argh* If only I have time to buy a big pack of this back to Japan as my breakfast.

This is really good. I love it!!

I was getting ready to go away when an old man stopped me. Earlier, he was having problem with the microwave, and I helped him. So, he silently let me finished my breakfast... then he stopped me to chat with him. Errrr... turned up his chat took more than 15 min...

Though I am going to be late for another 15 more minutes, it was a very pleasurable with him. A very nice North Carolinan. I wished I can chat with him more, but I have to stop.

Nice meeting you. ^_^

Ai yar~ I was waiting for bus. While waiting, there was a guy past by me. He looked at me... didn't say anything.

Then, after 20 min, I was still there waiting for my bus... He past by me again.

"Hey, how are you?" He greeted me suddenly.

"I'm fine. Thank you." ^_^

Ai yar~ this kind of practice wouldn't be seen in Japan. People usually will be too busy with their own thing. The time when you see Japanese will greet you Good Morning or Good Day is in the jungle, or up in the mountain.

My bus came only after I waited for 45 min. *urgh*

When I reached the school, it took me another 25 min before I could find the building. -_-"

It was already near 11am when I finally found the lab.

One of the reseacher in the lab, Jeab was welcoming me. She was worried what happened to me as they have been waiting since morning.

I felt really guilty for that. So I told her my hectic happening, while she led me to the professor's room. And... how I overslept in the morning. -_-" She was really amazed by my story. Yah~ I know it was quite hard to believe all these things happening to me in one trip... but it really did.

Oops... the professor was not in the room.

"Hmm... he must have went for his jogging."

*_* JOGGING?? I thought I heard wrong.

"Er... excuse me... but this is around noon time, and did you say... jogging??"

She smiled at me. "Yes, he likes to jog at this time."

Man~ that is another different practice. In Japan, people usually only jog early in the morning, evening, or even mid-night... to avoid the strong sun. If you run during noon time, most likely you will be treated as a twisted nerd.

I was editting my food pictures when I was waiting for him in the lab.

Finally, I get to meet with him.

What can I say? A fantastic person. Though we only talked for a short few hrs, I was learning things from him. I am very sure he would be a great person to work with. ^_^



He brought me to a lunch. I told him I'm a vegetarian. We came to a restaurant... nice place. And I ordered this wild mushroom pasta. *iish* Didn't realise chopped bacon was added in too. Kind of making me taking the effort to take them away. *spoilt my image, myak!!*

However, the taste of this plate was splendid.

It was a treat by him. Ai yar~ I think I was kind of spoilt kept having people treating me free meals.

He couldn't accompany me that evening, as he has important family event. So, after I finished my talk with him, my presentation to the lab and a talk with another nice lady... he drove me around the campus. He told me a lot of flowers name (I was very impressed) and finally back to my hotel.

Fish Fish was indeed very surprised with such a hospitality from him.

Furthermore, that evening, he arranged Jeab to bring me to a dinner.

Her whole family came to pick me up in my hotel. To my surprise, she has married, even has a very cute and active son, named Junior. Man~ she looks very young to be a wife and mother.

Then we headed off to a Vietnamese Restaurant.



It is called Dalat. My first vietnamese restaurant. Yap, I've never really went into a vietnamese restaurant to have my meal. In fact, my knowledge on Vietnamese food was only spring roll and rice noodle.



I ordered spring roll as appetizer. Argh~ got cilantro inside. Yark!! I hate cilantro. So, I picked out all of them, and reroll again the spring. Oops... there was barely anything left after the cilantro was taken out. :P

But then, it tasted much better now. Went very well with the sauce.



This is what little Junior ordered. Man~ that was a HUGE plate I can tell you. Enough for 3 people. Junior had only a small portion of it, and the leftover was packed home.



This was what Jeab and her hubby ordered. Ai yar~ husband and wife same heart. Heee... I don't really know what was this called. It was a rice vermicelli dish.



Fish Fish was craving for rice. But I changed my mind to try this deep fried rice noodle. Something like a cantonese style cooking, only that the rice noodle was kind of unique. The vege portion for this plate was very generous. The taste was just alright.

One again, I had a bloated belly after that. -_-"



Did it give you an oriental feeling on the interior layout?



Meet the little Junior with his daddy. He is cute~~~ Ah, I wish I will have the chance to see him again. That would only mean one thing. ^_^ I'm gonna get my kiss on you next time. Tee hee hee...

Gosh!! It turned out even the dinner was a treat by the professor. I felt guilty, for letting him kept treating me free meals.

Well, I know you guys would not read this... But I wanna say... "Thank you so much professor, for all the kind treatment during my visit. Thank you Jeab and your family, it was such a pleasure for you accompaniment." ^_^

What a day!!

13 Comments:

At 2:45 AM, Blogger obachan said...

What a nice professor!
And your post just triggered my craving for Chinese dishis in US... AHhhhhhhhh I miss them...!!

 
At 4:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, the food pics are making me hungry.

Btw, just curious, why were you presenting to the lab? Is it because you are planning to work there after your Phd?
Ai Ling

 
At 8:30 AM, Blogger Acrix said...

It;s so nice of the professor and from ur post, looks like american is really warm in hospitality:)

 
At 11:13 AM, Anonymous Big Bok said...

Hey.. FF,
If you want the Quaker oats thingie.. i can send some to you .. no problem at all.. just email me.. your addy ok..:)
The vietnamese food looked great..!!

 
At 11:22 AM, Anonymous milgwimper said...

Fish Fish

Wow you are one to have adventure! LOL I know people in the south, and midwest are much more friendlier than other parts of the US. I am so glad you had a nice experience. Well since big Bok offered the oatmeal first, I wont compete. :D Actually the sweet breakfast for me is rare, but I do know that a sweet pastery or two have come my way. I remember when I lived in Japan, and thought that it was weird that no one say Hi, but I made up for it! I was only a little kid.

 
At 12:01 PM, Blogger mmulibra said...

The professor is an Asian? The food looks tasty.. :-)

 
At 1:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

How can you not like cilantro?

 
At 6:14 PM, Blogger cooknengr said...

Hey Fish Fish, fake Vietnamese food. That spring roll should be served with a mixture of peanut and fish sauce.

Everything else look kinda..questionable.

by the way, you know how they seal the spring rols right ? like an envelope, with their tongue :)

 
At 6:57 PM, Blogger domesticgoddess said...

wow... you can eat all that for breakfast?!!! hats off to you fish fish :P
this post also reminds me of my first experience of vietnamese food in US (it was in Oregon). Man... the beef noodle (pho) was really good! the second time I went to Oregon I purposely visited the same restaurent again just to have the beef noodle! mmm... i'm salivating just thinking of it...

 
At 1:00 AM, Blogger fish fish said...

obachan : He is. ^_^ I miss Chinese food in Malaysia.

Ai Ling : Sort of. But still a long way to go.

acrix : Well, they have "real" warm and "social" warm. ^_^ Very much like the way in Japan for this.

big bok : Dear... really thanks. But the postal fee gonna be heavy, as the quaker gonna be heavy. I appreciate you kindness... but I don't think will be nice to ask you to do so. Thanks again. Muak!

milgwimper : Oh... how long were you in Japan? You and Big Bok are such nice people. TQ!

mmulibra : Blue eyes, blonde hair... who is "taller" than you. Tee hee hee...

anon : How can I not? ;)

cooknengr : Hoi!! Jangan buat fish fish Dao Wei ok...

domesticgoddess : Heee... I take heavy breakfast.

 
At 11:39 AM, Anonymous milgwimper said...

Fish Fish,

I lived in Japan for 2 1/2 years, but I was very young. I picked up some Japanese while I was there, but it all leaked away or most of it anyways. :( I loved it there.

Well Fish Fish thank you for the compliment, and I think you are pretty nice person yourself! :D

 
At 12:46 AM, Blogger fish fish said...

milgwimper : TQ. ^_^

 
At 10:05 AM, Anonymous Big BoK said...

No lah..!! where got heavy.. !! give address .. i send you right away..!!
Np at all..!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home