Kuishinbo~Meow~

I eat so much until people call me Dr. Fish Fish.

Sunday, August 21, 2005

Fish Fish in USA (Pt 14)

My final dinner in USA... was recommended by my Korean friend, an ex-post doc in my lab. Coincidently, she is working in one of the lab I was visiting. So, she asked me to go for a dinner that evening with her hubby, who also came to Korea to stay a month with her. ^_^



House of Teriyaki, one of the Korean/Japanese restaurant in Amherst, Massachusetts. The moment I knew I was going to have "rice" for that evening... I couldn't help but to show those smile that one will show when you know you gonna have something really nice that you have been missing.

Yes, days of pasta, bakery, cheese and oily stuff kind of making me scare of foods. Can imagine how serious was it when fish fish actually claim that she is "scare of foods"??



We were served a bowl of salad and miso soup as appetizer. Mmm... the moment the miso soup touched by taste bud... it was like awaken every one of them...

My taste buds was like saying, "Oh~~~ gimme some more!! I want!! I want!!!"

That small bowl of simple salad was just like one back in Japan. Sometimes, the simplest is the best.



Geee... I saw menu for sushi. I decided to try this "Crispy Tofu Sushi". Interesting... this was one of the sushi I've never encountered in Japan. I was curious to try.

Mmm~~~ lovely!! The topping sauce of it just some what sweet, an important element in Japanese food. However, what I really enjoyed was the pickled ginger at the side of the plate. I always crave for quite an amount of this pickled ginger whenever I visit a sushi shop.

Ok, this crispy tofu sushi was great. It is a very interesting combination of the very "crispy" tofu, creamy avocado with the sticky Japanese rice. Chomp it down with a mixture of soysauce and wasabi. Ah~~~ truely appetizing.



Then, my main dish order came. It is a Korean style spicy tofu pot with rice. Even have the kimchi attached.

I was not sure was it because I was too "homesick" on Asian food or what... But this was definitely one of the best spicy tofu pot I have ever tried. The spicy yet savoury soup of this hot tofu claypot make one of the best combination with the rice. And the tofu itself... so silky smooth... went into my throat like some naughty little kids playing a sliding board downhill.

Piece by piece they went...

The kimchi... I finished all of it with the rice. It was too sour for other... But for me, it was just right. The couple was so astonished to see how I ate those kimchi...

"Wow!! You sure can stand these very sour things." Tee hee hee...

They prefer fresh made kimchi by the wife, as the taste will be much milder.

Ah~ I was really full when I have finished 3/4 of them. However, I decided not to waste every bit of it. So... in a very slow pace... Phew!! All of them were perfectly cleaned by fish fish.

You should have seen how "shiawase" fish fish face was that time. Indeed... the food taste the same as one I always eat back in Japan. I would say it is kind of authentic taste, though some of the combinations are unusual in Japan.

Then, the owner of the restaurant came to chat with us.

Fish Fish was in a naughty mode... So, after the couple introduce me to him...

"Annyon Haseyo~" I smiled at him.

"Oh~ Korean?" He was looking at me.

Tee hee hee... little did he know my knowledge on Korean word was only limited to "annyonhaseyo", "saranheyo" and "kamshahamida". -_-"



The owner where then gave this plate of sushi as "servive" for us.

How lovely!! Too bad... we were all too full to gulp in anymore. However, I had a piece of it just to as a courtesy. It tasted good... Just that I had to get rid of the salmon on the top.

The couple then packaway this plate with the leftover HUGE Pibinba of them.

"You gonna eat this as your breakfast tomorrow." She was teasing her hubby... with a very loving way. Ai yar~ no eyes see...



An ending of this post. The loving birds.

It turned up to be a treat from them. Now... am I a lucky fish or what?

Gochisosamadeshita. ^_^

13 Comments:

At 1:31 AM, Blogger Acrix said...

The last plate of sushi look so yummy. Omg, u thrown away salmon :) HMm can;t imagine ur shiawase facial xpression, even if u show us ur photo, the face gona be censored awefully~

 
At 4:51 AM, Anonymous Julia said...

Hi fish fish,
I've been faithfully following your very entertaining adventures in the USA. Congrats on your presentation which went so well for you. :)

Of course, thanks for the food posts too. And I know exactly how you feel about the rice. Once, on a trip to Australia, we didn't have rice for like four days, and I was madly craving for it. On the last day, we finally had a chance to eat a simple Chinese dinner of rice, roast pork, and stir-fried veggies. That was like the most delicious meal I had in days. I think I'm also a rice person like you. :)

 
At 11:57 AM, Blogger Blackwidow said...

FF, america sushi is very different leh... It has to be modified and make it interesting. I called that Fancy Sushi, mostly in Korean, chinese owned sushi place. Have you ever see a deep fried sushi in Japan? how about Spicy tuna roll? Dragon roll? rainbow roll? spider roll...etc. One time, I saw shark fin sushi..... (shake my head), Chinese.....

 
At 2:55 PM, Anonymous milgwimper said...

Fish Fish,

Oh you ate one of my favourite comfort foods. Soon tubu chigae...*sigh* I can't live for long without rice. Looks like you had a great last dinner. Yum!

 
At 5:32 PM, Blogger Primrose said...

Heh, heh!
acrix: Fish Fish can't eat fish ma
ff: Eh, go to the US to have sushi. o_O Is there any difference in taste? More yummy or not?

 
At 6:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

How big are your muscles?

 
At 7:13 PM, Blogger domesticgoddess said...

oooh... the last plate of sushi is so tempting... what more with the salmon!!! just made me drool..

 
At 7:38 PM, Blogger Julie said...

ya i m oso a 'fan tung'.. hehe.. i prefer rice than noodles ^^

hoho.. finally 'welcome' back to japan 'again' =p

 
At 8:16 PM, Anonymous Big Bok said...

Hey..FF,
Like most asian..i'm a self professed "Fan Tung". I love all the food you had with your korean friends... they are so nice..!!
This fish is indeed a lucky fish..!!

 
At 10:28 PM, Blogger cooknengr said...

Hey Fish Fish, do you remember the salad dressing ? Is it the same flavor as in Japan ? btw, this salad dressing is very typical in Korean owned Sushi restaurant.

 
At 5:11 AM, Blogger fish fish said...

acrix : Tee hee hee... seem like you already what you will get if you ask for my face. Muak!

julia : Banzai to RICE~ ^_^

blackwidow : They fo have shark fin sushi here. Even steam egg with whole piece of shark fin. ;) But hor~ Spider roll??? Blackwidow is it??

milgwimper : Oh~ that's the name? Yah, I remembered it sounds something like that. Thanks.

primrose : Well, not really same. But the taste I tried in US better than average, I would say. You know in Japan, I am spoilt with choices... so I can be choosy in Japan. But in US... can get sushi already very good liao. *sigh*

domesticgoddess : i'm sure you will like the salmon. ;) Too bad, it is not my cup of tea.

julie : Yap... so glad I was back to the RICE land. ^_^

big bok : Oops... another fan tung.

cooknengr : The salad dressing in Japan actually devided into three big groups... "Japanese styel", "Chinese style" and "Western style". ;) The one in the pic would be one of the Japanese style.

 
At 10:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

aiks u came to mass. I'm in boston. if I knew earlier, belanja you makan. kekeke

tiptup

 
At 9:14 PM, Blogger fish fish said...

tiptup : ^_^ TQ so much. I appreciate your sweet thinking.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home