Kuishinbo~Meow~

I eat so much until people call me Dr. Fish Fish.

Sunday, July 31, 2005

Fish Fish in USA (Pt 3, July 16)

^_^ Good morning everyone. It's a very sunny Monday, with heat and humidity that will try to squeeze every drop of water from your body. *iish*

However, with such extreme weather, I am going to bring you all for a series of "adventure" that fish fish had in USA. Are you ready? Tighten your seat belt... here we go~

We stayed in a family style hotel named St. Vincent's Guest House. How was the hotel? Well, to tell you frankly, I would advise you not to choose it. You'll be able to find a better one with the same price I paid (around US$75 per nite).

My room was nice, with enormous bed. However, it has a weird smell in the room. Something like a mold-growing smell. I supposed it is quite an old building, as it used to be an orphan home.
However, this is not the main reason why I don't recommend it. What made me have a bad impression on it was the very inconvenient of the location. No phone, no place to look for food... and the lady's owner is considered to be a not-too-easy to get along type of person.

They don't have the very basic drinking water supply for you in your room. When I requested for water, they gave me water from pipe. :)

Ah well~ I drink pipe water in Japan too.


They did attach breakfast for the staying. Among the choices, I decided to have a blueberry pancake. This was lovely. It went very nice with the maple syrup. However, the size was too big for me. This was actually my first time to eat such a big proper pancake.

Yap, you heard me. I have eaten pancake not more than 5 times in my life before this. :P


Also, I ordered for a scramble egg and toasts too. Man~ after this very heavy breakfast, I am really bloated.

I like the big guy that preparing breakfast for me. He is a nice guy.

My sensei was kind of disappointed as he thought there would be bacon as choice, but nope.

We decided to take this whole day to walk around New Orleans, instead of using transportation. Just to see more things.


After around 25 min of slow walk, we reached the main street, Canal Street. This is the Canal Streetcar in New Orleans, running along the Canal Street. I didn't try it at all during my stay in New Orleans. Would like to try it next time if I have the chance.

One interesting fact about the block counting in New Orleans. All the blocks start the counting from the one nearest to Canal Street. So, it is actually easy for you to estimate a location as long as you have the address and map.

I used this feature to look for a few optical shops, hopefully they might have an instant ready new glasses for me. Too bad, these shops were not in business for weekends. *sigh*

Instead of making myself feeling stressed with what had happened to my glasses, I decided to just see the New Orleans with a blur blur sight. Tee hee hee...


We came to the longest and largest river in US, Mississippi River. When I was here, it somehow reminded me of the Sarawak River back in Kuching. Nostalgic!


Along the river, you could see people taking their time slowly strolling along with family and friends.

Cruise, is one of the hit you can have in New Orleans. These would bring you to see the New Orleans from Mississippi River.

The photo showed one of the cruise, named Cajun Queen. You can either enter it for pure riding, or with lunch or dinner attached. Another thing I would like to try next time if I come.


Walk and walk... the breeze with mild heat makes one feel like you are really on a relaxing vacation. Too bad, I was there for more serious matter.


Street performance is something very common in New Orleans. As a jazz town, it is easily to spot these talented people doing performance here and there. It somehow made you stop for a while to enjoy the music flowing in the air.


Another cruise was just going to start the journey... Have a nice trip!!

From there, we walked to French Quarter, or Vieux Carre which literally means "old square". It is the most famous and oldest attraction in New Orleans.


Some tourists would take the chance to ride on a horse wagon. I am not interested in this. I am more keen on riding on a horse myself, which is another hope-to-do-thing in my lists before I say bye bye to this world.


Now, could you see the same feature of this photo with the previous one? It's the balconies. The famous "iron lace" can be seen here and there for the buildings in French Quarter area.

Impressive artworks.


Contradictory, you will also find a lot of this modern and fancy souvenir shops occupying the place. If you love Mardi Gras stuffs, you will like to take a good time finding your favorite ones inside these shops.

Know what attracted me the most on this shop? ;) Make a wise guess. It's in the picture. Kihkihkih...


Some street sellers were making money with their handmade things.


While the others were using themselves as a selling item.

This guy impressed me. I wonder how much time he took to put the silver thing all over his body. More, how he could stand such a weather with this costume? He deserved tips from fish fish. ^_^


A corner in French Quarter. My sensei was telling me, New Orleans is indeed a special city in US. It does not give you a US-feeling.


Bunga Raya!! Weeee~~~ somehow a Malaysian like fish fish tend to have special passion on this flower whenever I see it in other countries.

In case you wonder where I took it, this was in the famous Jackson Square in French Quarter. A lovely, cast-iron-fenced oasis of grass and flowering trees located between St. Ann and St. Peter Streets across Decatur Street from the river.


Jackson Square is originally called the Place d'Armes, the square in the past served as both a military parade ground and the staging point for public executions.


Statue of Andrew Jackson standing proudly in front of the Saint Louis Cathedral, the oldest church in Louisiana.

We went into the church. It was quiet... and with a lot of nice artworks inside. We were not allowed to take any photo.


However, outside the church hall, I was attracted towards these dim candles. Those of you who are familiar with fish fish's blog would know I am a fetishist on candles in religious buildings.


Outside the Jackson Square, you would see street arts lay along the place. Some were really my cup of tea, like the one shows in this photo.


It was quite a walk. It was only around noon. We spotted coffee shops... argh~~~ yes, I was very hungry by then.

Time to hunt for yum yum~ ^_^

13 Comments:

At 8:48 PM, Blogger Helen (AugustusGloop) said...

Wow. So many detailed photos! I have always wanted to go to New Orleans so I am loving all of your photos!

 
At 9:13 PM, Blogger Dennis said...

Was New Orleans what you thought it would be?

 
At 9:23 PM, Anonymous Big Bok said...

Hey..FF,
I'm glad to see that you are seeing so many things in New Orleans.. :)
I love New Orleans for it's jazz music.. the clubs.. and the ppl are really friendly. But there is a sleazy part in New Orleans that i do not like at all. But i shall not elaborate here.. and still your "thunder" .. hehehehe!!
Keep the post coming..!! i'm truly enjoying your experience.. :)

 
At 10:34 PM, Blogger Primrose said...

I love pancakes. *slurp* My dad makes very good pancakes. Yup, heard me right. Me dad. :)

The buildings with balconies reminded me of Phnom Penh. Lots of French influence there, see?

And the river (yeah, it does remind us of the WaterFront, doesn't it) and street entertainers reminds me of the quay in Sydney.

Ooo...Part 4 soon!

 
At 10:59 PM, Blogger Julie said...

yO fishfish ^^

wonder how a fish rides on a horse.. but fishfish can do wonders rite.. hehe..

so wat attracted u in the shop?

 
At 1:55 AM, Blogger Lee Ai Ling said...

Nice place!

 
At 7:08 AM, Blogger cooknengr said...

Hey Fish Fish, here in L.A. the guys in silver powder/paint would drive home in their costume.

pipe water=水喉水 ? Very Hakka, make me missing 10th mile.

 
At 7:25 AM, Blogger Evil Jonny said...

I think you took that picture because of the lady's big butt... we know that fish fish likes pictures of butts. ;-D

So glad you are preparing me for New Orleans.. I leave in two weeks!

 
At 12:23 PM, Blogger Rabbit Sim said...

So sayang you're a vegetarian, no review on jambalaya, no?

 
At 2:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't want to make a special trip to New Orleans and I still don't want to. It doesn't seem worth it at all and I don't care about its reputation. What about you?

 
At 10:58 PM, Blogger Acrix said...

pancake = giant dorayaki? Muahah~ ANyway, just got back my internet connection after days and have gone thro ur posts :P The detroit airport looks pretty cool~ I wonder how the fella used to paint himself metallic silver :P So he would just stand there like a statue all day long? OR he will perform some robot move or dance?

 
At 12:54 AM, Blogger fish fish said...

AG : ^_^ You must go once to experience it yourself. You gonna like it.

dennis : To certain part, yes.

big bok : Geee... now you are making me curious what was the sleazy part.

primrose : Wah~ lucky lady. My daddy is a lousy cook. He put 1 tablespoon of salt for a plate of strifry vege. -_-"""

julie : It's the skeleton looking doll at the left hand side. I even took a kissing pic with it. Muahahahah...

lee ai ling : It sure is. ^_^

cooknengr : What do you expect from a 100% Hakka moi if not pure hakka way? Chok mor?

evil jungle prince : I'm more interested in butts of sexy guys. Tee hee hee.... It was the fugly skeleton on the left lar~

rabbit sim : Check my next post. ;) As you wish, sir!

anon : Now dear, maybe you can tell me who you are first. ^_^

acrix : He did robotic move. Kind of good. Ai yar~ no wonder didn't see you doing update these few days. Miss your update ler~

 
At 5:57 PM, Blogger obachan said...

Oh fish fish, I took photos at those places, too! Actually a couple of yours look just like the ones I took there (more than 10 years ago…). I really love the pic of the silver guy.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home