Kuishinbo~Meow~

I eat so much until people call me Dr. Fish Fish.

Monday, August 01, 2005

Fish Fish in USA (Pt 4, July 16)

I bought a nice Japanese guide book about New Orleans, with plenty of recommended places for eating good food.

*flip flip flip* I decided Gumbo Shop sounded nice. My sensei just followed my choice, he is not so much of a looking-for-good-food person. All he needs is a place that can fill up his stomach. In fact, he did not do early survey about foods that are famous in New Orleans. I did. ^_^

We were lucky we went earlier, though the place were full with people, still have empty table for 2 of us.


After we made our order, the waitress that served us brought a plate of spread and a loaf of bread that wrapped with white cloth.

My sensei was telling me this is American style. They always give you bread before your order comes.



I kind of enjoy the bread. It was quite munchy and the saltiness was just nice. I prefer to eat it just like that though with the spread it was quite ok too. I wonder if anyone gonna finish the whole thing, as it seems to be quite a big size for just 2 people.



Yum!! Our food finally came after a short while of relaxing waiting. I like the place, it is a good place for enjoying your food in a comfortable way.

My sensei was confused what to take from the list of choices. Finally he chose this Combination Platter after a suggestion from fish fish. ^_^ It was for US$10.95.

It was actually a combination of Shrimp Creole (back), Jambalaya (middle) and Red Beans (front). The authentic taste of New Orleans. A combination of Creole and Cajun. It even came with a nice pickled bell pepper. The pickle is something very different from Japanese pickles.

Well, my sensei loved this choice. He glad he made the right one. Though the rice seem to be not so much in the whole plate, after sensei gulped down the whole plate, it sure enough to make him feel bloated.



Fish Fish decided to go for her favorite vegetarian. This was what I ordered, Creole style Vegetarian Dish of the Day. On that day, it was black bean with rice, for US$7.95. I love American restaurant, they are very vegetarian-friendly. Japan is still very lack of sense in term of this.

Mmmm~~~ it was very good. The bean was nicely stewed until it was kind of melt in my mouth. I love the combination of the spices inside. It was spicy but yet you could taste the other blended tastes in it nicely. A very well done plate I would say.

After the whole plate was finished by me, it surely made me very full.

I would strongly suggest this place for a try. Nice price on the food, good environment and very easy to access by a short walk from Jackson Square.

Now, we got enough energy for continueing our exploration after the lunch.



This kind of Jazz musician statues can be spotted easily in the cities.


We came to the very famous Bourbon Street, which was just about 2 blocks away from the Jackson Square.


The street was a quiet one in the day time. We didn't really feel any madness yet. Too early I guess.



However, it is obvious that there were many pubs and dining places along the road. Some even have life performance for lunch time. We enjoyed hearing different style of music when we past this street.

We went for a tea time for resting our legs. Now, where would be a better place than this very famous coffee stand...

Any idea which one I am talking about for those of you who have been to New Orleans??

.
.
.
.
.



Cafe Du Monde!!

A coffee stand that is open 24 hr per day. Anytime you come, the people are always this crowded.


We got our seats when a group of people just went away.

This place is so famous because of 2 things, as showed in this menu.



Its very famous roasted Coffee with Chicory. My sensei ordered an au lait. US$1.59.

He had his first sip...

"Wah~ bitter as any ordinary coffee", was his first remark.

"Fish Fish, why don't you try a decaf one?"

"^_^ No thank you. I don't want anything unexpected happened to me before my main duty is over."



The reason why I was very eager to try this place was because of the another most famous thing in this shop.

BEIGNET! French doughnut. Came in a set of 3, for US$1.59.

The beignet is a square piece of dough, fried and covered with powdered sugar.



When you tear the hot beignet and put it in your mouth... argh~ it was sinfully good. I especially love the hot munchy texture of it. I would say 3 were too much for us. Sensei had one, fish fish had one, and the last one was packed away for my night time supper. Hyaks!

After sensei had his beignet, he drank his coffee again.

"Oh~~~ this is so great!!" See the magic played by beignet? It made the Chicory Coffee tasted so much better. The magic on one food can play on another.



However, this orange juice ordered by fish fish spoilt the magic of mine. Sweet beignet and sweet orange juice?? Just sound TOO SWEET!

It would be a wiser choice if only I had ordered just ice water in the first place. Imagine hot and sweet beignet clear down to your throat by cold and soothing water.

Beignet and orange juice?? Ai yar~ there gone my food orgasm. *myak*



Hohoho!! What a coincidence. NHK from Japan was taking some kind of documentary shooting? Whatever it was... What I was more interested in - the white dress girl in front of them. Now, anyone know why she caught my attention? ;)

Oh, by the way, be ready with the service in Cafe Du Monde, they are not very pleasing. Also, staff kept sweeping the floor when we were having our food. -_-"



We then walked around freely and taking photos here and there. Sensei and his registered trademark, the orange cap.



We saw this kind of stickers everywhere. Heee... can see how big this IFT meeting is huh. ;) In fact, it seems like IFT will hold the meeting in New Orleans once in every few years. Maybe because New Orleans is really a good place for nice food.

In fact, though sensei has been to a few city in US, he said New Orleans is surely nothing like the other. It is indeed a very unique city in US.



We were lucky to see this final 15 minutes of Jazz performance for free. It was gospel song. The lady who sang it has one of the nicest voice I have ever encountered. Her music went into your soul. In fact, all the musician on the stage are all music teachers. Cool huh~ Their performance worth 2 thumbs up.



Ok, anyone can tell me what is the proper name for this "bike"? It was the 1st time I saw it. Sensei said he saw it in TV. But I didn't. I'm interested to find more info about it.



Ohh~~~ such a lovely puppy and sweet little girl. But wait, what are all these beads doing in the puppy basket?

"Hey little puppy, you didn't really show people your tits for getting all these beads, did you?? "

To be cont. ^_^

17 Comments:

At 1:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the picture of the bread in Gumbo shop and beignet! Aiyah....hungry already!
Ai Ling

 
At 2:31 AM, Blogger domesticgoddess said...

why the white-dress girl caught your attention : 过气女明星?

 
At 2:49 AM, Anonymous kennyc said...

The bike's called Segway.
More at www.segway.com

 
At 3:07 AM, Blogger Acrix said...

French doghnut looks yummy and bet it will go nicely with a glass of milk :P HMm seems like america is a good place to fill the stomach with large portion of foods everywhere ~

 
At 3:32 AM, Blogger babe_kl said...

OMG the gumbo looked so yummy... saw the segway on telly and they looked so good

 
At 4:41 AM, Blogger Primrose said...

Did you find out why there were beads in the basket in the end?

 
At 7:09 AM, Blogger cooknengr said...

Hey Fish Fish, after the big ole plate of bean, were you full of gas ? We even have Beano for bean lovers.
http://www.beanogas.com/about.asp.

Blondie, since when did you dyed your hair ?

 
At 8:43 AM, Blogger Blackwidow said...

What?! You never see that famous "bike" Bush was on and flipped?? I laughed at the accident.

 
At 6:39 PM, Blogger Helen (AugustusGloop) said...

Those beignets looked delicious. Trust me... I am taking notes on where to go after your advice and great photos!

 
At 9:42 PM, Blogger Julie said...

ya... i was attracted by the french donuts too.. oh so now i know bitter coffee + sweet donuts = matching 'yingyang' ^^

 
At 10:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That segway do exist in the "Agent Cody Banks" movie, right?
those foods really make me feel hungry especially NOW!
duh... i haven't had my lunch yet!
gil

 
At 10:38 PM, Anonymous Big Bok said...

Hey..FF,
Everyone gave you the answer already lor. so i donch have to.
Love the french donut.. although i can't eat them too much.
New Orleans is one of my love.. coz' you get to listen to performance everywhere for free.. :)
i remember bar hopping.. when i was there for work. It was fun.. .if you know where to go... i had the priviledge of having the company of a singer from home. So i was lucky.. she brought me everywhere.. :)

 
At 6:08 AM, Anonymous allen wong said...

Wow, I have never seen so many Segways in one place.

People have gotten too lazy to walk. :/

 
At 6:32 AM, Anonymous twinsmom said...

nice blog, I feel like reading Lonely Planet blog :D.

 
At 11:04 PM, Blogger xes said...

Hey little puppy, you didn't really show people your tits for getting all these beads, did you?? "

must be from the show dogs gone wild!

 
At 12:56 AM, Blogger Patrick Leong said...

by the way, did you sensei say anything ? taking pictures all the time, even during meal time ?

 
At 3:23 AM, Blogger fish fish said...

Ai Ling : You are a bread lover? :P

domesticgoddess : Nope... it was how she has a super tiny face. Kind of amazing. But one thing I didn't like it, she is smoking.

kennyc : TQ! ^_^ Will check the info out tomorrow.

acrix : Believe me little brother, you will start to feel sick with those big portion sooner... They are too BIG!

babe_kl : I was indeed curious to try the segway. *Hmmm... now I know the name*

primrose : Nope, my dear. No good to ask puppy such a rude Q ler~

cooknengr : Tee hee hee... nope. But I made a lot of gas after I ate fried onion. I think my stomach kind of distracted easily by onion lately. Don't know why. -_-"

blackwidow : I WANNA SEE TOO!!!

AG : Oops... I hope my taste will be fixed with yours. :P

julie : YingYang? LOL... sweety, nice name for that.

gil : Hey boy!! Study is study, make sure you eat your 3 meals properly everyday ar~ I don't want you to get gastric later on.
*muak*

bigbok : Wow!! A singer?? You sure was super lucky dear. I have to do my own searching. Still, it was fun too. :P

allen wong : Lazy to walk... this sound quite a dangerous trend huh~

twinsmom : It's my pleasure. ^_^ Glad you like it.

xes : It's a crazy world now!

patrick leong : No ler~ He even asked me if I wanna take the food pic before we ate. I only take food pic with him lar~ Other time, we just do our own favorite thing, though we were walking together.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home