Kuishinbo~Meow~

I eat so much until people call me Dr. Fish Fish.

Friday, August 05, 2005

Fish Fish in USA (Pt 6, July 17)

The IFT Annual Meeting and Expo started on this day.



I took my breakfast again in the hotel. It has been years I didn't take any cornflake. So, I made a small bowl for myself. ^_^ It tasted good, though it was just a very simple bowl of breakfast cereal.



"I want a pancake" I said to the huge guy that prepared my breakfast.

"No toast but I want scramble egg please. ^_^"

He remembered I had a blueberry pancake. And today, he made the same one for me. Surprisingly, he made 2 for me, just because I didn't order the toast. -_-" You bet I had a full breakfast again.

After the breakfast, I walked to the Morial Convention Center. The Annual Meeting was not really starting until after noon. However, the Food Expo started at 11am. I took 3 hrs to enjoy the expo. Well, it will be a very long report on the expo. I decided to just do that in later days.

Meanwhile, I'll just finish on my New Orleans trip first, excluding the Food Expo.

After the end of the day, I met up with my sensei and we went to have a simple dinner. I didn't want to make myself too tired as tomorrow would be my turn for my oral presentation.



So, we decided to eat at the Riverwalk.



This Riverwalk can be reached easily by stopping at Julia Station.



If you need to do a transfer on the transport in any part of New Orleans city, don't forget to say "transfer" to the driver on the 1st transport you take, and pay additional 25 cents.



I decided to have a combination plate. I paid around US$9 for four choices of dishes.

I had stewed okra, stewed corn and cheese macaroni.


As well as a huge plate of New Orleans style peach cobbler, also a free small corn bread.

I love the corn. Very nicely done. I like the okra, though some tasted a bit old. But the macaroni cheese was so so. Too rich taste for me.

The peach cobbler was good. Only that it was too sweet and too big portion. But well, it was nice to try this authentic dish from New Orleans.

The nicest surprise was the small corn-bread. It was just out from the oven. Very fluffy and the sweetness was just nice. Geee... I never know corn-bread is such a yummy stuff. I would instead think it is more appropriate to call it corn-cake.



I recommended my sensei should try Po'boy in New Orleans. So, he took my advice and came back with a huge plate of 2 types of Po'boy.

This is the shrimp Po'boy.

"What makes a po'boy special is the bread. A po-boy isn't a po'boy unless it's made with good quality, fresh French bread. " (source from here)

So, how did the term Po'boy come?

The term “po' boy” was coined in a New Orleans restaurant owned by Benny Martin, a former streetcar conductor. In 1929, during a four-month long strike against the streetcar company, Martin served his former colleagues free sandwiches. Martin’s restaurant workers jokingly referred to the strikers as “poor boys”. Eventually the sandwiches themselves began to be called “poor boys”. Over time this was shortened to “po' boy”. (sourse from here)



The 2nd type of the half Po'boy was this soft-crab Po'boy.

Well, sensei loved both of them, as they were served hot. But he was more impressed by this soft-carb version. It was very delicious, according to him.

He was really glad that I recommended this to him.

Ah well~ thanks for the guidebook and sources from internet.



Ah~ such a nice scene don't you think so? This was the scene laid in front of us when we were having our dinner.

BURP!!

10 Comments:

At 4:51 AM, Blogger Rabbit Sim said...

Yeah, first! Love po'boy and the corn bread.....I once saw on tv cookery programme, gumbo is 50% oil based, yikes!!

 
At 8:14 AM, Anonymous Big BoK said...

I love corn bread too.. they are really yummy..!!
The pancake looks right yummy too..! I love blueberry anything..!!
Good luck on your presentation..!! or how did it go..??

 
At 10:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fish Fish

Oh blue berry pancakes are one of my favourites. I also love really good corn bread or muffins. I can see why you became so full, that is a lot of food. :D

Milgwimper

 
At 11:43 AM, Blogger Acrix said...

Hmm, bout the Po'Boy, i think it will be nice with some mayo :P I oso din hace cereal for ages and it;s lovely with yoghurt~

 
At 11:45 AM, Blogger cooknengr said...

Hey Fish Fish, you are supposed to put Tobasco on everying thing Cajun, scrambled eggs,Po Boys....cereal too :)

 
At 1:30 PM, Blogger Yuen Li said...

All that lovely food and here's me snacking on microwaved chicken nuggets, tea biscuits and raisins...

 
At 9:00 PM, Blogger fish fish said...

rabbit sim : 50% oil based??? You sure? -_-" Sound scary.

big bok : Well my dear, I'll tell the story in later post. Not too smooth I would say.

Milgwimper : Exactly, all the food were HUGE portion.

acrix : Yap, cereal taste quite nice with yogurt. Hey boy, dun put everything with mayo ler~ I'll call you mayo boy then. Kihkihkih...

cooknengr : Cereal with tabasco? Yark!!

Yuen Li : Was that your snack time or proper meal?

 
At 9:04 PM, Blogger Primrose said...

Wow! Can you really finish all the food - pancake & combination plate? The corn bread reminds me of the Kenny Roger's corn muffins. Used to be really nice. Not anymore.

Wah, your sensei ate BOTH the shrimp and soft-crab po'boys ah? Which po'boy did you try?

 
At 1:50 AM, Blogger Julie said...

hoho..the shrimp does look like crispy kelopok 'har gung biang'..

 
At 3:56 AM, Blogger fish fish said...

primrose : I didn't eat any of the poboy. all meat ler~

julie : Muak!! So warm to hear this word ... Har Gung Piang. Heeee...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home