Kuishinbo~Meow~

I eat so much until people call me Dr. Fish Fish.

Monday, August 08, 2005

Fish Fish in USA (Pt 7, July 18)

The big day of fish fish, her first oral presentation outside Japan, using not-Japanese.

That morning, I attended some of the seminar I was interested.

Lunch time, I took a stroll in the Food Expo hall, but didn't eat anything. I have a bad habit, when I am nervous, if I eat, will sure cirit-birit one. So, forget about that. I rather be hungry than got stomach upset later on.

1.30pm, the person incharge of my session came to the presentation room. So, I requested to have a check on my powerpoint, just to make sure what I sent through email to them would work ok.

Guess what? I was really glad I did that. Once I opened the slides, OMG!!! All the format ran away. Reinstall also could not be corrected. I had no choice but to use my own notebook (Thank god I decided to take all the trouble to bring my heavy notebook to US).

Unluckily, I only brought my notebook to the conference for practising without bringing my adapter. -_-""" Great!! I would say this was my smart action with a serious stupid mistake. Even though the battery was still full that time, I didn't dare to take the risk.

The whole session started at 2.30pm, it was already 1.40pm. My presentation was at 3.20pm. Without any choice, I rushed back to my hotel by walking. Man~~~ imagine how strong the sun was, and how hot my attire was... with a terrible humidity kept attacking me. Instead of the normal 20 min leisure walking speed, I reached my hotel in 15 minutes time. By then, I was sweating like a just finish a 2 h gym fish.

Gave myself a 5 min of rest. I rushed back to the conference hall again.

I was in time. 2.35pm. *wipe HOT sweat* *Man~ I mush be smelling like a 100% freshly done salty fish that time* -_-"""

Once I went into the hall, no one was doing the presentation. Everyone was looking at me. Hmmm... kind of spooky with that kind of staring, making my goose bumps up.

Then, I realised one of the presentator decided to give up the last minute. So, they actually used his presentation time to help me to set up my presentation. Oh... I guessed I should thank that person who gave up huh~

Anyway, the man incharged quickly took over my adapter, and set everything up for me. The whole session was in time to start in a smooth way.

1st presentator, 2nd presentator... end.

3rd one... -_-" fish fish's turn. I was still yet recovering from the unexpected circumstance I had. In fact, I have even wonder will I be able to survive well with this presentation after all the things happened starting from the day of departure to US... the delayed flights, my broken glasses...

I was nervous in the beginning. For the 1st 2 min, I could heard my own slightly shaky voice, with a paragraph I left out. But somehow after that, I was back to the calm old fish. And soon before I realised, phew... it was over.

Then, the Q&A session, as the previous 2 presentators received no question from the audiences, I wasn't expecting one too. Kind of surprised me one guy came to the front and asked his question. ^_^ Well, I would say I answered the doubt appropriately.

Hohohoh... it was over. OVER!!! Man~ what a starting, but really glad it ended smooth. I believed somehow I am tested in a hard way but somehow blessed.

The whole session, it turned out not only fish fish's slides was the only one that not compatible to the notebook used, but there were another 3 facing the same problem. But as they didn't do an early check on that, there was nothing much they could do, but to continue with the flaws.

I couldn't imagine how was I going to survive with that flaw, cause I didn't wear any glasses at that time. There is no way I will make my presentation into a smooth one without the animation mode. Ha!! You got me, I did my presentation without even able to see my own screen clearly, and not even to mention the audiences down there.

*Lesson learnt :
1. Never give up till the last minute
2. Always have a way to safe the unexpected happenings, even though most unlikely it will happen

Later, there was another guy came up to me...

"Ah, Miss Yong, you did a great presentation. I really love it. In fact, I was wondering if it is ok for me to have a copy of your presentation that you made." Geee... what could I say, I was deeply grateful with his complimentary. I thought I have made my own effort into pieces of broken mirror. His words were such great comforting one for me. Well, I would love to give him a copy of that, but I will have to get the permission from the company that we collaborate with.

It was over. The hectic moment. For the 1st time in US, I had a very splendid evening after that, without having to think anything serious, just for this evening.

Ok, dear readers, I'll bring you to a fun place in the next post. ^_^

Tata~

18 Comments:

At 8:23 AM, Blogger Julie said...

wahh.. my dear fishmoi.. glad tat u have done a good job! *applause*

'sen fu hiu tiam' (hakka) ^^

 
At 8:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fish Fish,

I knew you could do it, and you sailed so beautifully through. *gives Fish Fish standing Ovatin" It was awesome that the other presenters helped you set up, and that you had the foresight to check on your power point slides. I can so understand how you felt before and during, and after the presentations. I had enough of giving presentations myself, and they say it gets easier...Yeah O.K...But it sounded like you did so beautifully, and don't worries about forgetting a paragraph, it probably wasn't too noticeable. I am so glad your presentation went so well! TAKE A BOW FISH FISH! *Clap Clap*

Milgwimper

 
At 11:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations!
Ai Ling

 
At 12:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well done!!! Fish-Fish.

Can I have a copy of your presentation too?

Jungleman (officially, since both you and Ta Ker deciphered it.)

 
At 1:54 PM, Blogger mariko said...

Congratulations! Sounds like it went very well!

 
At 4:45 PM, Blogger Helen (AugustusGloop) said...

Well done fishfish. Sounds like you carried yourself with true poise and aplomb despite a last-minute crisis. Sign of a true professional!

 
At 5:02 PM, Blogger Patrick Leong said...

congrats for doing well in presentation. i do wonder when is my turn. actually i am quite surprised about the format change. obviously the organizer did not inform you about the power point version that they will use for the conference.

 
At 5:27 PM, Blogger Lrong said...

Ms. Yong... omedetou gozaimachuuu!!!

 
At 6:05 PM, Blogger cooknengr said...

Hey Fish Fish, I can't find any spot for stupid/creative/boring/imatured comment on this post, except to say "Good Job".

All 山歌 singing Hakkas/Kolo Mee eating Kuchingites/Tree dweling Sarawakians/Durian eating Malaysians are proud of you.

Did you wear a Malaysia Boleh T-shirt ?

 
At 7:43 PM, Blogger Primrose said...

So presentation in English kah? What topic was it? Hmm, must be interesting...

 
At 7:58 PM, Blogger babe_kl said...

congrats, you did it!!

 
At 8:55 PM, Blogger domesticgoddess said...

congrats that the presentation went smoothly! err... just curious hor, what is it about that fish fish presented?

 
At 1:17 AM, Blogger Wilson said...

Wasei, bravo fish fish. Glad you make it!

 
At 1:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

congrats fish

toru

 
At 2:46 PM, Blogger Acrix said...

Fish Fish next time guide me how to do a presentation :P Gona make ya my master coz everytime i do my presentation, it;s so sucky and i get the audience laughing...Darn, am alwayz making a fool of myself~

 
At 11:08 PM, Blogger ~AnGeL~ said...

congrates.... can i have a copy too???? m working on my presentation for tomoro... just for your info i will be presenting in english but i doubt my labmates will understand.... i am back in JAPAN ...after a long break.... SUMMER HOLIDAYS/DRIVE????

 
At 1:17 AM, Blogger fish fish said...

Dear everyone,

Thanks a lot for the sweet words. Even though it had been over for a few weeks, all your warm greeting really make my day a good one. ^_^

For those wanna a copy... Heee... you know my answer will be "cannot". Because I dun wanna you all bored to sleep.

Muak!!

patrick leong : Yah~ I was quite shock when I realized that too. Make sure you must bring your own notebook when you go overseas doing presentation... never know what will happen.

cooknengr : Da Ge... I think among them, if you admit yourself as No. 2, nobody will dare to say they are No. 1. ;)

primrose : Yap, Engrish. Enzyme and food proteins. Sound boring?

acrix : Can. Chia me a nice bowl of premium Mamee curry instant noodle without the mayonnaise first. Tee hee hee...

~angel~ : Gal, how was you presentation? Forget about hoping that they will understand, just pray they don't fall asleep. ^_^ Hey, I'm counting you in for my next driving, with mmulibra in too. Muahahahaa!!

 
At 2:36 AM, Blogger obachan said...

Congratulations! Glad to hear that you did great. (I knew you would :)) I can imagine how it was to find a problem right before your presentation.
Good job! Otsukaresama and I'm sure the rest of the time you had lots of fun with nothing to worry about any more.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home