Kuishinbo~Meow~

I eat so much until people call me Dr. Fish Fish.

Tuesday, September 13, 2005

Misonikomi udon (Sept 3)

I was in Nagoya during the 1st Saturday of September. Went there for Aichi Banpaku. Well, I would say not quite a pleasurable experience for me. To tell the story, it is gonna be long. I'll leave that to other day then, when I am more free.

Also, I will postpone my post on Kitadake climbing, as that one too is a long post.

I'm too busy for that these few days.

So, I try to slip a much shorter post here today.

A yummilicious I would like to introduce to all of you.

A very famous dish in Nagoya. With a story of a stubborn man behind.




I heard about it many times. Wanted to try it many times. But never really got the chance. Somehow, that Saturday noon, Yuko and me decided that we must eat it before we hugged each other goodbye. ^_^

How we glad we found this shop, Keyaki Chaya in 7th floor of Termina that have this famous dish.




Tra la la~~~ May fish fish proudly to introduce you another famous local food in Nagoya... beside the Nagoya Kishimen I introduced earlier.

Miso Nikomi Udon. Meaning Udon that cook inside miso soup.

Heee... I was delighted in my earlier post Alex put such a comment...

"Since I lived in Nagoya when I did foreign exchange to Japan, I'm very fond of aka miso. I really hate it when I get white miso at resturants because it's not strong enough! When you drink/eat miso you should feel a surge of energy, like when you drink coffee!

My favorite nagoya dish is misonikomi udon. I like every miso dish though. The saltier the better!"

And here I am, introducing your favorite now.

I believe many people outside Japan have no idea about this dish. However, once you go to Nagoya... you will see many places selling this.

This was my first time trying it. Even though it is not the most famous Yamamoto Honten that specialized in Misonikomi Udon, I was kind of satisfy with this first time.

It was better than I've thought. The miso soup was very thick but surprisingly good... with the very chewy fresh udon that cook into medium. Something which is kind of different from the normal udon dishes that I have tried. It is very Nagoyan. Not the white miso that usually use in Kyoto. But the very thick taste of dark aka (red) miso, with much stronger savoury taste. It is called Haccho Miso, a common miso in Nagoya. Normally I don't favour aka miso that much, too strong for me, but I think I am loving this Miso Nikomi Udon.

Definitely I wanna have another bowl of Miso Nikomi Udon again.

Next time if you go to Nagoya... you know what you must look for to fill up your stomach. ;)

Ok~ oneday, I must go again to try the most famous shop. ^_^

Argh~ I'm making myself feeling very hungry now. -_-"

7 Comments:

At 6:00 PM, Blogger Primrose said...

Red miso but not curry? Is it hot? I like chewy udon. Some udon served in japanese restaurants here are too soft. Don't like.

 
At 6:55 PM, Blogger MrsT said...

Very interesting..FF.. :)
I was in nagoya.. but i didn't know about this famous noodle.. bummer.. :(

 
At 9:21 PM, Blogger Alex said...

:) Hahaha! You even used my comment. I'm very happy. I think I'm even happier that you liked my beloved misonikomi udon though! I don't think misonikomi udon has as much popularity as kishimen?

Sorry to hear that banpaku sucked. My host family actually lives about 10 minutes away from that area. They told me it was packed and so they had to wait in line for everything. I also heard some other people saying the same thing. I wonder what happened to you though. I hope it wasn't too bad...

 
At 10:10 PM, Blogger cooknengr said...

Hey Fish Fish "A very famous dish in Nagoya. With a story of a stubborn man behind" What's the story ? 真吊癮 :(

 
At 12:37 AM, Blogger Reid said...

Hi fish fish,

I hope my comment doesn't show up twice, but I said that it's been a while since I've been to Japan, and even longer since I've been to Nagoya. If I'm ever there again, I'd love to try this udon.

 
At 2:40 AM, Blogger fish fish said...

primrose : Nope, not curry. Not hot. Salty taste I would say. I think I will addicted to the chewy udon actually.

mrst : But now you know it. ;)

alex : Haha... wait for my story about Banpaku. It was crazy!!

cooknengr : A man as stubborn as you on food. Must stick to authentic. ;)

reid : Yap, you must try. ^_^

 
At 10:54 AM, Blogger Acrix said...

From the photo, the soup is more like gravy :P Do people buy miso as souvenir when they go to nagoya?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home