Kuishinbo~Meow~

I eat so much until people call me Dr. Fish Fish.

Sunday, December 25, 2005

Christmas Eve Dinner

It has been 6 months I didn't meet up with my host family. Finally, after my presentation was just over, I received a postcard from them. They invited me to join their Christmas eve.

They have been wondering what have happened to me for such a long time disappear.

It was a very nice gathering. Feel really warm to have a Christmas eve with them in this very hectic period of mine.

Ok... let see what we (they) had on that night.




Huge piece of drumstick for each person except me.

Haha... why chicken and not turkey? Well, you see, in Japan, it is extremely difficult to have turkey commonly. So, they have thought about the idea. changing turkey into chicken. Both are birds, so similarity is better than nothing. So, in Japan, eating a big portion of grilled drumstick in Christmas eve has been a tradition for them.

Nope, it has nothing to do with religion... it is more like a trend in whole Japan.




This was sandwich prepared by Naoko, my host parents' youngest daugther. It has been a long time I didn't eat a well-balanced sandwich. ^_^ Ate a few pieces.




This chapche was prepared by my Okasan. She prepared a vegetarian version for me. Very nice. Another healthy plate with a lot of vinegar. Stimulate my appetite. I had a big plate of it.

Chapche is a very famous Korean food in Japan, though I heard the popularity in Korean is just ok.




They bought sliced pork and decorated it with pineapple and tomato.

I had quite a number of the decoration. Especially the tomato, it was almost finished by me and Anri, the little cutie in the house, my host parents' grandchild.




This is called Ohagi. A Japanese dessert that uses readbean and rice. There are 2 versions.

The 1st version is with Kinako (soybean powder). Though I am not a red bean person at all, if wanna me to choose, I prefer this version.




2nd type is this red bean outside, rice inside version.

We didn't eat any during the gathering as everyone was very full with other food.

My Okasan asked me to take home 6 of them! It was too many for me to finish alone, so I brought to school to share with other the next day.




The take-away sushi plate that ordered by my host family. It came 30 minutes late than scheduled. The road was too jammed that caused the traffic very slow that day.

Nice one. Especially the rice, have a very good balance of seasoning inside it.




I love this!! Dried persimmon that made by Naoko.

Hers was very soft. I remembered when I tried to made one too few years ago, had the taste, but the texture was too hard, even could break one's teeth.




The main fun of the night was turning this sponge cake into something beautiful.

Let me show you the decorator of the night...

.
.
.
.
.
.
.


^_^ Tralala!!

"Hello everyone, my name is Anri. I am 4.5 year old. I love dancing, I am doing ballad now. Oh... you see these strawberries? I arranged half of them. Do you like it? Another half is by fish fish. Heeee... I think mine look better than hers. In case you wonder why I have such a good sense in art, you see... both my father and mother are good in art... So, I guess I have the genetic inside me. ;) "

Yap, the little Anri. She is such a little darling. The time I spent with her made me really looking forward for my own nephew and niece to grow up.

I was amazed by her sense in art work. She didn't has anyone teach her how to arrange the strawberry in a very proper way, and she just did it by nature. Cool!!!




May we present you Strawberry Fresh Cream Sponge Cake by Anri and fish fish. The assignment of putting the little tree was by Anri. ^_^

Hohoho... the strawberry is really good. Winter is time for yummy and beautiful strawberry. Yum Yum!!

Nothing beat a home-made cake by ourselves.




I didn't bring any other present except this box of chocolate.

Errr... too sweet. I should have bought Godiva.

Thank you dear host family. It has been a warm night for me. Gochisosamadeshita.

See you again in February.

10 Comments:

At 10:10 PM, Blogger MamaBoK said...

What a nice get-together FF..! the food looks yummy too.. !! wish i was you .. hehehe!!

 
At 8:39 AM, Blogger Acrix said...

Very warm and colorful christmas eve dinner that u got :P How';s the texture of the ohagi? Izzit very hard coz from the outer appearance it seems so to me :P Little Anri is cute :) Anyway, happy new year to ya in advance~

 
At 9:06 AM, Blogger sixthseal said...

wah lau eh,
i woke up in the middle of the night, and couldn't get back to sleep so i surfed and now i have this craving for that huge drumstick (with thigh) in the first photo.

the other photos are okay with me.

but meat, especially fried golden and crispy. no man can resist that and be a man.

...and now i can't go back to sleep.

 
At 2:26 PM, Blogger drstel said...

a belated greeting to you, fish fish! i wish you many happy adventures for 2006...i can't wait to see your new niece and her growing up big brother...stel.

 
At 5:07 PM, Blogger Evil Jonny said...

The dried persimmon looks great!! How do you make it?

 
At 6:34 PM, Blogger fish fish said...

mamabok : ^_^ Yap, it was good gathering with yummy food and nice people.

acrix : Ohagi is not hard, quite soft indeed. I'm not a red bean person, so it is not my cup of tea. But for someone that favor red bean, ohagi is a must try dessert in Japan.

sixthseal : Oops, sorry for the temptation. :P Go KFC, your craving you be healed. ;)

drstel : Thank you dear. Same to you too. ^_^ Yah, I'm very eager to see them growing up fast.

evil jungle prince : Very easy actually. Get the ripe but still hard sour persimmon with strong twig. Then, peel the skin. Hang on the dry and sunny air to let in dry naturally. About a month the persimmon will turn into this nice and yummy stuff. One important point, remember to massage the persimmon nicely one a few days to stimulate the softness and the sweetness. Good luck in trying. ;)

 
At 10:20 PM, Blogger domesticgoddess said...

wow the sponge cake looked very appetizing indeed... so nicely decorated!

 
At 6:48 PM, Blogger fish fish said...

domesticgoddess : I'm going to do it again. ^_^

 
At 2:38 AM, Blogger Chen said...

That's really a gigantic drumstick :D
I guess after I finish eating that drumstick, I won't have space in my tummy to store any other delicious stuffs :P

The dried persimmons look nice and yummy.

Anri is such a little darling :)

 
At 6:12 PM, Blogger fish fish said...

chen : Hehe. I agree. That's why they don't eat much other food compared to me. :P

 

Post a Comment

<< Home