Kuishinbo~Meow~

I eat so much until people call me Dr. Fish Fish.

Thursday, January 19, 2006

I started it again... after 11 years

Don't be surprised with this post. It is a totally new revolution for fish fish.

Those who read regularly will know I was a vegetarian.

Wait...

Did I use the word "was"?

Yes, you read it right.

After a long 11 years of not feeling want to eat any meat, I started to eat them 2 weeks ago.

Nope, it's not that I am hunger for them.

In fact, it is more of a curiosity that drove me to do it.

For 5 years in Japan, I attended uncounted times of very good feast, with all those divine looking meat. Neither of them ever successfully seduced me.

But lately, when I know my time in Japan is getting shorter and shorter...

When I know some of these foods will never be able to get outside Japan.

Even can be obtained outside Japan, the quality would be somewhat doubtful...

And what if I suddenly just disappear in this world, and realised how much things I've never tried...

I decided to pick up the chopstick and took the challenge.

It was more like a sensory evaluation for me.

Well, I'm glad I did it... at least I can taste it for myself some of the special foods that are driving Japanese crazy, which I've seen many times in real life or on TV.

And making another kuishinbo having his uncountered orgasms on dining tables. :P

So, you will see some non-vegetarians food post from me... from now on. When I think it is very special and worth a try on it.

If you ask me, "fish fish, how do you like the meat?"

"Some are really brilliant. But still, I am much more to a vege person." In fact, I remembered one night I tried to many types of them that I was feeling terrible and almost vomit after that.

It's been such a long time that I started having meat again, that for the 1st day of it, with only 2 pieces of sashimi sized meat, I had a terrible diarrhea.

But it was ok now.

So, most of my time, I'll still stick to my full vegetarian diet. But once a while I'll challenge on something unique.

What have I been trying so much these past 2 weeks...

I'll tell you one by one then.

This is the 1st post... Horse Sashimi.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.

It is a special food. Only eaten in occasion in Japan. The famous one is from Kumamoto in Kyushu.

I tried two types, in different days.




This one was ordered in a chained izakaya called Watami.
Yes, izakaya is a typical Japanese food place that one must not miss when come to Japan for a visit.

This plate of Horse Sashimi is more of a meat from frequently exercised part, I think it was from the muscle part. It was 480yen per plate.
It looks so red, compare to other type of meat. Should be due to the high hemoglobin content inside?
Then, I tried to bite on it.
CHEWY!!! No matter how many times you chew, the strongly link meat was still able to give you a chewy texture.
The taste I kinda too raw for me.
A very good experience on the texture, but not enjoying so much with the taste.





2nd time trying Horse sashimi, was in a family oriented izakaya.
Curious to know how this version would be different from the earlier one since in the menu, it was written 1000yen per plate.

Sure it was a surprise when this plate of marbled meat presented in front of me.
So, I tried to scoop it up by using chopsticks.
It was so soft then even a slight destruction from the chopsticks made the meat fall apart.
Once put in the mouth, before I realised it, the meat have melted into my throat.
It was like eating BUTTER!!
No bloody taste.
This cold Horse sashimi just melted in my mouth like a M & M chocolate.
This was a very unforgettable experience for me.
I was curious to know the quality of the marble inside...so I put my finger on the meat. The fat in between the red meat started to melt a bit. This is very good quality oil, and the melting point of the meat are low compare to normal meat.

Hmmm... horse sashimi, I know you finally.

13 Comments:

At 12:54 AM, Blogger Acrix said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 12:55 AM, Blogger Acrix said...

I think the fresh red colors are due to myoglobin which is normally found in muscle :) the sashimi looks so yummy *drool* U went with cooknengr? Welcome to the carnivorous world :)

 
At 1:15 AM, Blogger MamaBoK said...

Wow..!! i didn't think i would lived to see you eat meat.. hehe!

 
At 4:33 AM, Blogger OsloFoodie said...

I second mamabok, but if there's anything that might just do it, it's something like horse sashimi :).

 
At 4:36 AM, Blogger Chen said...

wow.. horse sashimi?
now fish fish starts eating meat..
U have that together with cooknengr? ;)

Trying hard to imagine your description 'the meat have melted into my throat.It was like eating BUTTER!!"

mmmm... *slurp*

 
At 7:07 AM, Blogger smazh said...

For meat sashimi, I've only had chicken sashimi before, always wanted to try horse sashimi one day too... Now I must try it
!

 
At 4:44 PM, Blogger Wilson said...

how long you going to stay at Japan? this CNY u at Japan or back hometown?

 
At 6:56 PM, Blogger tokyofoodie said...

fish fish..

u must try "another red meat from the sea" ;) its really good. i havent seen a marbled version though..

 
At 8:47 PM, Blogger fooDcrazEE said...

horse ? havent tasted it b4. What abt whale ?

 
At 9:10 PM, Blogger Patrick Leong said...

but the horse sashimi looks disgusting wor. you really extreme.

 
At 10:07 PM, Blogger Dennis said...

Hmmm, I think I would still die happy even if I've never eaten raw horse meat, hehe.

 
At 10:21 PM, Blogger Blackwidow said...

When we were kids, we ate horse meat when weekend horse racing done and some horses had to be put down because they broke their legs.... Now, I won't eat it because horse is a beautiful animal, the muscular built, the hair shine, ... I won't eat it anymore. Once you try riding the horse... I bet you want a horse as a pet!
My bro is a BAD influence.

 
At 3:57 AM, Blogger fish fish said...

acrix : Oops... yap, it should be myoglobin. :P Thanks for the correction dear. My mind is not working properly lately. Getting old. *iish*

mamabok : Now you see it my dear. ;)

oslofoodie : Well, horse sashimi is something I've only seen in Japan. But it would be my last try. Enough to taste just to know it.

chen : Yap, who else can be that another more choosy kuishinbo? :P

smazh : Ar~ chicken sashimi. I saw it, but not interested to try. But my Japanese friend was telling me, chicken will make into sashimi only when it is really fresh, as the critical control of the safety point is much harder. Imagine, Salmonella... *myak*

wilson : I'll be seeing you in another 3 more months. There you are, the answer to both of your Qs. ;)

valley of spring : Do you mean Maguro (Tuna) or Kujira (Whale)?

foodcrazee : Nope, never tried whale before. The colour is even more red that the horse meat.

patrick : Hehe... not that you know me for 1st day ler~ Extreme is something quite common for fish fish right? ;)Eh, kawan, apa macam you didn't your blog for such a long time ar? Almost 3 weeks liao, at least report a bit on how you are doing wei~~~

dennis : It would be the two and only experiences for me. :P Hey, I'm not qualified to be called vegetarian liao, you wanna change your category of linking me in your blog? Oops...

blackwidow : Well DD, this will be the only 2 times I tried it. He ate more, I ate 2 pieces only. :P Oh, I wouldn't object on your last sentence. Tee hee hee...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home