Kuishinbo~Meow~

I eat so much until people call me Dr. Fish Fish.

Thursday, February 02, 2006

A Japanese eating cultural - Gyudon

It's noon time now, so I am warning you not to read this 1st before you had your lunch. No responsibility for your hunger ar~ :P

Ok, Gyudon... what is that?

Gyu is "moo".

Don is "rice".

Basically, it is moo on the rice.

Japanese commonly eating rice with topping, with they call "Don". Among this, one of the very typical, is Gyudon. I would in fact call it a Japanese eating cultural.

It is so famous that you can even find a Gyudon Database that built by someone. Too bad this site is no more updating, but you still can find splendid gyudon information from there.

A few nation wide famous chained shops for Gyudon including Yoshinoya, Matsuya, Sukiya and Nakau.

I remembered when my mum was here for the 1st time, the best food she said she tasted was a bowl of this economic Gyudon in Yoshinoya. You could see how shock I was when I tried to bring her to all the yummilicious, and she has the greatest satisfaction from a bowl of this Gyudon. -_-"""

So, yesterday evening, with only 2 packs of biscuit as my lunch, I decided to have something better as dinner.

I went to main campus to sign for my monthly scholarship. And on the way to go to my gym, I saw Matsuya. So, I decided to have my 1st Gyundon in Matsuya.

I bought a 350yen ticket from vending machine, within 1 min, this is what I got for my dinner.




A nice bowl of regular size Gyudon...




... and a free white miso soup.

Gosh!!! This is so cheap. It was my 1st experience to have such a cheap don outside school canteen. I was excited to try it.

But as I don't really know how should I eat it, so I glanced at the guy sitting beside me.

He ordered a large one. When the Gyudon was served to him, with a really-get-used-to way, he speedily topped all the things he wanted on the Gyudon. Amazing!!! Must be one of the regular... And he finished the whole bowl when I only had my 1/2. o_O

So, this is how I had mine, like a curious kid having a try on new thing.

First, I had my 1st bite without any extra topping. The gyu was sliced very thin, and cooked until very soft. A slight of sweetness was blended inside the salty sauce. The very typical Japanese taste. It was nice, I would say. Better than I have expected with such a price.

Then, I added some sauce that attached on the counter to see how the taste changed. Ah~~~ this is so much better. It made the don blended so well with the gyu. In fact, I was really having fun doing my own combination on the gyudon. Also, I added some Shichimi to give a spicy touch to my Gyudon, the taste changed again.

Next, I added red ginger pickles inside my gyudon. ^_* I think I like this the most. The ginger played magic on the Gyudon. Kinda masking away the sweetness, yet enhanced the umami of the Gyu.

Hehe... slowly, I finish my Gyudon until last rice grain. And sipped my miso shop until bottom happily.

A great happiness that I had by only paying 350yen. What a great deal. Definitely different joy I had from Kobe Beef.

Now, I am curious on the other 3 famous chained shops Gyudon. I will do a review on them once I tried.

;) Gyudon, anybody?

7 Comments:

At 8:24 PM, Blogger letti said...

very interesting dish. I have to make more asian dishes that david can tahan..LOL

 
At 10:32 PM, Blogger cooknengr said...

Hey Fish Fish, I am not a fan of Japanse Beef don, seems to be on a little sweet side, esp the ones with onion...To me beef should always taste like beef...

 
At 6:26 AM, Blogger Acrix said...

Waoh i have missed so many posts~ Beef bowl is the best alternative when i;m sick of eating big mac :) The miso soups seems to be nicer than the one served at yoshinoya here~ Bout the chili's burger, i think it;s pretty good :)

 
At 8:12 AM, Blogger milgwimper said...

Wow that looks good. I remember when I was younger and living in Japan that was one of my favourite foods. I loved putting a lot of toppings. :)

 
At 11:02 PM, Blogger fish fish said...

letti : Hehe... I'm sure he will fall in love in Asian foods sooner or later. ;)

cooknengr : Ya lar~ anything sweet just not really your cup of tea, except sweet sake. Tee hee hee...

acrix : Hoho!! Let me make one nice miso soup for you next time. Hey, I'm going to do daily update as possible, more time now. ^_^

milgwimper : And I only had it for the 1st time now. -_-""" But I'm gonna try the others too.

 
At 9:50 AM, Blogger Acrix said...

I want red miso soup :P Never tried it before :)

 
At 9:29 PM, Blogger fish fish said...

Acrix : Ok boy. I'll keep that in mind. ^_^

 

Post a Comment

<< Home