Kuishinbo~Meow~

I eat so much until people call me Dr. Fish Fish.

Thursday, April 20, 2006

Frog leg

It has been years I didn't eat any frog legs. After back to Kuching, I eventually had a taste on it again. A long time ago taste.

Frog legs are special dish to me. When I was still a very young kid, my father used to work in Simunjan. A little kampung with no water and electrical supply at that time.

However, that was one of my most wonderful childhood memory.

A beautiful night scene with bush full of firefly lightning. The very loud sound of all types of living creatures playing orchestra in the paddy field beside my house.

Sometimes, daddy would choose to go to catch the fat and juicy frogs, so that the next day we would have nice frog leg porridge. Or mum would just simmer it with ginger and soysauce for a great dinner. That was the moment I would eargerly follow him, in the dark night without any lamp pole, only the dimly lit kerosine lamp led our way.

My daddy always very good in catching this. We would have a few that will make a great dish for a meal for 3 (brother was still too young, he only need milk that time)

Hehe... that was just a small part that formed the wild nature of mine. :P




So, to rewind back my old memory, I went to the kitchen to see how the frog leg is prepared. Geeee... didn't expect to see that they were actually naked whole frogs. I don't remember mum prepared the frog leg this way. I guess I was too young to remember.

However, after a while...

The chef turned all these into...




Hot and spicy soy sauce frog leg.

This is one of the most delicious frog legs I have ever eaten (beside mum's). The aftertaste spiciness, made me really sweating.

Gosh!! It has been a really long time I didn't eat until sweat. The feeling was nostalgic.

The only demerit... too many bones, troublesome to get rid of them.

Ah~ but thanks for the recall.

So, do you have any food that will remind you about your childhood?

8 Comments:

At 11:44 AM, Blogger lance-s said...

Thanks for sharing your childhood memory of catching frogs. It brings back memories of my brother and myself going out at night on our bicyles with a flashlight to catch frogs. Your dish looks so flavorful. We only deep fried them like chicken. I haven't had them for years. Sure makes me want to tried them again.

 
At 1:05 PM, Blogger Acrix said...

They got sell the live frogs in the pasar malam and it's kinda cruel to see how they kill the poor fella (by hitting the head repeatedly with a stick and blood splashing out) :P Anyway, frogs' legs are yummy~

 
At 6:14 PM, Blogger DieHardX said...

yeah, frog legs r nice but i had a nitemare eating e porridge steam version. i guess it has a bad taste if it is not fried or cooked with heavy sauce like urs. u can still easily find them in seafood restaurants nowadays. u can pick them LIVE!

childhood? sarawak is blessed with a lot of wildlife! haha!

yes, bats! i really enjoyed bats cooked with e residue of red wine when i was young. yummy! nowadays hard 2 find liao so i miss it damn much! i recalled it was veli veli heaty! still got e 4 legged snake, snake, rabbit, pigeon, river turtle, wild boar, antelope to eat 2day.

i alwiz help set up trap for 4 legged snake, snake and squirrel in our fruit orchard. squirrels we dun eat, but sell 2 people who do eat them! then, we bring the creatures (4 legged snake n snake) back 4 grandma 2 battle n kill!

although many people eat monkey brain n dog meat as well as squirrels, i wun wan 2 try any of them. i dunno, i just dun feel e urge 2 eat them.

 
At 1:10 AM, Blogger fish fish said...

lance-s : Oh, deep fried frog legs? Sound great!!

acrix : Urgh!! That is a cruel way to kill it. I've never seen people kill frogs that way.

diehardx : Hmm... anything if eat not fresh, will taste terrible. Yah, Sarawak is so gifted with wildlifes. I even saw people selling 4 leg snakes in hundreds in the market, a cultural shock.

 
At 7:13 PM, Blogger Chen said...

I still remember how my dad killed & deskined the frog.. chopped off the head & peeled off the skin.. The skin detached smoothly with one pull, except some resistance on detaching the skin from the fingers/toes.. My parents used to cook frog soup in those days :)

I remember seeing lotsa gigantic frog in the seafood restaurant in Kuching ;)

 
At 12:08 AM, Blogger fish fish said...

chen : Yah, usually I see huge one. But the one we had in this post are much smaller.

 
At 9:39 AM, Blogger animalkillerssuck said...

I understand culture here but find it very difficult to comprehend the ways they kill frogs and turtles. Shame on those who dont use humane methods. I was horrified the other day whild just stopping by an oriental market. PIG BLOOD FOR SALE! WHAT THE HECK FOR! Frogs stacked so high they couldnt be comfortable. Please, these animals cant speak for themselves.
From,
A meat lover

 
At 2:10 AM, Blogger fish fish said...

animalkillerssuck : Hi meat lover. Well, undeniable, you'll find a lot of strange stuffs that are consumed as food in Asia countries. Well, it's cultural different. However, I'm not sure about the way they are killed. Meat are good to eat, but animal killed are never good to see.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home