Kuishinbo~Meow~

I eat so much until people call me Dr. Fish Fish.

Saturday, May 20, 2006

I was at...

I am still in Sibu today. Decided to be with my aunt whole family for a few more days. Before coming up to Sibu, I was in another 2 towns.




My first time using an express boat to travel in Sarawak. It was a fun experience for me. Fish Fish was exploring Sarawak river during the whole ride.

After a 3.5 h ride, I reached...




... the pineapple town. Sarikei.

Sarikei is a town famous with agricultural activity. They produce a lot of pineapple and dragon fruit. My 2 favorite tropical fruits.

Oh yes, I had one pineapple chose by my friend. It was really a sweet and crunchy choice. One of the pineapple I have ever tasted.

It is a quiet town, I would say. Quite clean. But very hot.

Recent years, as a lot of young people moved out to other cities to work, the town development is kinda not moving.

One interesting thing is that Sarikei has a lot of banks. According to my friend, "You see, Sarikei people have money to earn, but no place to spend. That's why usually people only bank in their money, but seldom they withdraw them."

Oh... I see. Sarikei people are rich. :P




I was brought to this Riverside Seafood Restaurant for a welcoming lunch by my friends.




Yum Yum~~~ each of us had a big bowl of this HUGE prawn vermicelli. The sweetness of the soup, given by the umami of these big fresh prawn. A bowl of this was for RM10 only.




Later that day, after a short rest, we went to Bintangor by car.

Geee... I never know Sarikei is this near to Bintangor. I learnt to know Bintangor used to known as Binatang as there were a lot of animals in this town. Interesting fact.

The big sour tangerine, is the famous product in Bintangor. It is basically smaller than Sarikei.




We came all the way for the big sour tangerine, and this stall named Wong Hung Ping.




For its famous Bintangor rojak.

I love this one. Kinda different from Kuching's rojak. The sweetness of brown Atap sugar gave a unique blended taste to the prawn paste. There were a lot of different ingredients inside this plate of rojak.

Fresh and crunchy cucumber, sengkuang, pineapple mixed with gravy absorbed fritter, yao char kuey, tofu and sweet potato. Instead of the ground peanut, the plate was topped with coarse peanut crunch, giving a nice texture for your palate pleasure when you bit on them.

It is definitely a rojak that worth trying.

*slurp* Thinking about it now making me salivating now.

I am really greatful to have these 2 friends giving a nice and sweet memories in Sarikei and Bintangor. I only paid for my boat ticket. They were really spoiling me with all kind of nice treats. Thank you so much.

*Wave Wave* Hello, unknown friends from Sarikei and Bintangor, Fish Fish was at your hometown. ^_^

12 Comments:

At 9:40 PM, Blogger Cynthia said...

Nice! I 've seen alot of bloggers blog about Sarawak.. =)
Kian mentioned alot bout the rojak and kolok mee.. I never trie dthat b4.. maybe one day =D

 
At 10:50 PM, Blogger fooDcrazEE said...

OMGoodness - that is dirt cheap . That size of prawn cost us at least RM15 - 20 anytime

 
At 10:02 AM, Blogger Primrose said...

I see we're learning about Sarawak. :)

Didn't know Sarikei is the Pineapple town. Reminds me of the Big Pineapple in Sunshine Coast, Aust. That town sells pineapple jam, pineaple ice-cream, pineapple sweets, pineapple this and pineapple that. :) And I only know my sportsman friend from Kuching goes to Sarikei sometimes for boat races.

 
At 3:16 PM, Blogger cooknengr said...

Hey Fish Fish, you didn't have the Bintangor teh C 冰 gah ?

 
At 7:50 PM, Blogger ah nel said...

read your blog for quite sometimes after your friend sitting behind me told me her friend blog so much about food...i like japan very much... :)

try this blog as i just browse thru...another food blogs...

http://kampungboycitygal.blogspot.com/

 
At 11:31 PM, Blogger DieHardX said...

do u know dat in s'pore, when u go 2 fruit juice or fruit stores, u have a special pricing just for Sarawak pineapples?

yes, the pineapples of sarawak is famous in s'pore. we grow up there eating it normally n nvr expect it 2 b so well received outside. hmmm, sarikei produces e best sarawak pineapples. dat's why it has e pineapple.

sibu is really lame by having e swan in e town. i have no idea wat has swans got 2 do with us. it is pure crap n totally no connection or identity watsoever. it is just trying too hard 2 create some metaphors of something none existense. do u guys c alot of swans in sibu? sigh......

bintangor definitely for their signature famous honey mandarin! dat i have 2 say they produce e best!

 
At 11:59 PM, Blogger Nightraveller said...

Now I remember I have a frenz from Sariket in my old university days...but shit I forgot his name since everybody called him Sarikei all the name. His face looks like Zhang Ze (that local singer, dunno whether u still remember), and u r rite, he is so damn rich! After graduation, his father just simply bought him a shop to open car service center.

 
At 6:45 AM, Blogger fish fish said...

cynthia : Oh yes, Kuching's rojak and kook mee are must try. ;)

foodcrazee : Yes, we couldn't get that in Kuching too with the price.

primrose : Sarikei pineapple is one of the best. It is always my favorite. You must try one next time dear.

cooknengr : No, I had a very disappointing undersea coconut. Wuek! But then I had a glass of bintangor sour tangerine. Now, that one was nice.

ah nel : Hello. Thanks for stopping by. Hmmm... now you are making me very curious. May I know who she is? ^_^

diehardx : Hmm... this is interesting fact about Sarikei pineapple. Thanks friend for the info. Oh yes, I do have the same opinion about the swan. :P

nightraveller : Haha, not surprising. I know a few friends who are like the one you describing too. The Hao Ming group. ;)

 
At 10:18 PM, Blogger ah nel said...

i just ask her just now to reveal her identity and she say ok...

~poh ching~ her name

 
At 7:50 PM, Blogger fish fish said...

ah nel : Ah~ Poh Ching. I haven't seen her for a long time. Please say hi for me to Poh Ching. ;) I saw her wedding pic, nice nice. A very belated congrats girl.

 
At 3:20 AM, Blogger Chen said...

Wah.. u went to my hometown ah? :D
I'm Sarikei lang, but I'm not rich woh :(

 
At 5:50 AM, Blogger fish fish said...

chen : Oh yes, dear doctor, I went to your hometown. :P Nice little town. About the rich part, hehe... I just said what I was told. ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home