Kuishinbo~Meow~

I eat so much until people call me Dr. Fish Fish.

Thursday, September 21, 2006

Way too embarassing!!

Gosh!! It was supposed to be a lovely day for me. The seminar went well. Everything was smooth. We even had our New Employment Orientation ended 2 hr earlier.

So, I went home and decided to give myself a good rest.

I was into the mood of cooking something Kuching-style to heal my homesickness.

I want to indulge something that has the sweetness and sourness of Kuching.

Therefore, I make a combination of ingredients inside my fridge and started to cook.

Little did I know that was the starting of my nightmare of the day.

The smoke was produced furiously when I tried to caramelize the sliced onion and mushroom in the frying pan.

The next moment, terrible high-pitch siren came out from my ceiling.

OMG!!! I triggered the fire alarm in my apartment to activate. It was too late for me to realise that.

*Panic Panic Panic*

*Get a big paper board tried to fan the smoke away from the alarm*

Still, the siren made the noise like it was nobody business.

The resident downstair screamed at me... but I couldn't hear anything he said.

I was ready to wear my shoes to run down for getting the apartment's admin for help.

It was only a mere few min of the happening, but it seemed like years to me.

Then, I heard siren of fire truck.

*Finish* *My face blushed*

I rushed out to see a fireman was downstair. There were another few residents nearby him. -_-""" Must be the alarm have shocked them.

"Er... my cooking. It was my cooking!" Yeah, I was stupid that time, not even know how to say a simple sentence to explain my situation to him.

But then, the kind fireman, he nodded with a very understanding expression. He smiled back at me. Somehow, that soothed me.

"Don't worry ma'am. I'll fix that. Now all you have to do is to open the door and window to ventilate the room."

I nodded. In fact, I have opened the door and window earlier.

Soon, the alarm went off. I thanked and apologised to him.

He told me not to worry, as they have this kind of thing happening everyday.

Well, I am impressed with their efficiency.

I like his politeness.

In fact, he looked quite cute to me. I only realised that before his went away. *Too late*

Ok, curious to know what was the dish that caused all this trouble?




Kuching Kio Chap Mee!!

It was delicious. Definitely one of the plate of Kio Chap Mee that I will never forget in my life. In term of... errr... you know I know.

What a day!

10 Comments:

At 3:18 PM, Blogger Acrix said...

Errr fire alarm is kinda like a norm d here till i can recognize some of the firemen :P They are either triggered by smoke from cooking or that of the hot running water in the bathroom :P Imagine in Msia surely the whole house burnt down before the fireman will ever reach the scene~

Wat's Kio Chap Mee by the way

 
At 3:22 PM, Blogger Blackwidow said...

Couple summers ago, my friend and I were doing smoked style bbq at the backyard. Just few minutes after we started the smoke, we heard siren.... 3 fire trucks were parked at the corner of our street and fire fighters were climbing up to roof top to find out which apartment was on fired. We told them we were having smoked style bbq. They had to come inside the house to make sure everything was fine. Someone in the neighborhood saw the smoke and call fire dept.

 
At 5:33 PM, Blogger DieHardX said...

efficiency! veli impressed! if onli the local standard can b just half e speed, i will b veli impressed.

 
At 10:32 PM, Blogger obachan said...

Oh what a day! I can imagine how you felt.
But kinda glad for you that they sent you a fireman who was very nice... and cute ;)

 
At 1:45 AM, Blogger Pink Cotton said...

oh dear!
hahaha...
but i must say the effectiveness is amazing cmopared to youknowwhere la :P

nvm *pat pat* at least no one scolded u or sth rite?that would b even more embarassing!..kekeke

woooo ur kio cap mee looks nice ler! how u made the crispy noodle?

 
At 6:13 AM, Blogger batsumarumaru said...

can you share the recipe please?
i miss it so much for 5 years
no matter i try ,the taste is different from kuching one

 
At 8:44 PM, Blogger Kampungkai said...

wahhh scary!
u can try putting a small table fan by the stove and blow the smoke out of the window, can u?

but then again, your neighbours would be screaming ya? kesian!

 
At 9:18 PM, Blogger Primrose said...

Oh dear dear...pardon me if I laughed. :) Funny though. I remembered that someone triggered an alarm before with the hot steam from her shower. That was *more* embarrasing. She had to leave the building with hair dripping wet and a towel. Hehe!

 
At 12:49 PM, Blogger fish fish said...

Hmm... I wrote the reply for comments yesterday but don't know why it didn't show up.

Anyway, here is the reply again.

acrix : Kio Chap Mee is the Kuching stlye of saying Ketchup Gravy Noodle. ;)

blackwidow : Heee... at least you have a concerning neighborhood. :P

diehardx : Errr... I hate to say but I don't think that will likely happen.

obachan : Oh yes, that was one of the good thing from that unwanted happening. :P

pinkcotton : Well my dear, I bought the instant crispy noodle. It is a Japanese brand that I bought in the Japanese groceries. It used to be my favorite when I was in Japan and the noodle works fabulous with our Kio Chap Mee. ;)

batsumarumaru : Unfortunately, I have a habit of cooking things without following any recipes. Here's a few tips for you of making a bowl of fish fish's Kio Chap Mee though. Hope that help. :P

1. Used a nice crispy fried noodle, which I usually opted the instant Japanese Sara Udon Noodle.
2. The seafood will make the Kio Chap gravy great. Use prawn, squid and fish cake will produce the typical great taste. Not to overcook the seafood.
3. Choose a succulent vege for the fresh texture. Remember not to overcook the vege. Asparagus and onion works great. In this case, you need to caramelise the onion for giving you the natural sweetness.
4. Choose a ketchup that will give you a strong sourness. In my case, I like Heinz. It works great. If you want more good sourness, can add a bit of Chinese Black Vinegar in it. If you want to be sweeter, can add sugar according to your own preference.
5. For the hidden Malaysian flavour, use fried Bawang Merah for stir fry your seafood and vege, it will give you the taste you are homesick of. ;)

Oh well, good luck on the try with my lousy explanation. Hope that help.

kampungkai : I did turn on my ventilation fan, it worked very weak. Hmmm... buying a fan sound like a good idea.

primrose : Wow... luckily you didn't say she was naked. ;P

 
At 5:30 AM, Blogger zh1yong said...

I have triggered the fire alarm here as well, but i triggered it by the hot steam from the bathroom.. it was indeed very embarassing!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home