Kuishinbo~Meow~

I eat so much until people call me Dr. Fish Fish.

Tuesday, October 03, 2006

1st groceries for Project October 100

Tee hee hee... I had a free dinner tonight as my workplace has a meeting with dinner attach. The pot roast and lasagna were pretty good but the special talk for that meeting was lousy. Oh well, early ending to go home though.

On the way back, I decided to stop by at my neighborhood supermarket to get some foodstuffs. I took the special offer poster and scanned for the stuffs I wanted.




Tralala~~~ I bought these thing for only...

US$8.03! ^_~

I saved US$4.68 for the whole thing.

I paid US$1.99 for each Quaker oatmeal, US$2.50 for Welch's Red 100% Grape Juice (this is a new product for me), 79 cents for 1lb of carrot and 60 cents for Del Monte Sweet Pea. All the food item will be charged a 2% tax while non-food item will be 7%.

Ok, some of you might be interested to know how the supermarket shopping system works here, let fish fish be a keypo (local slang for busybody) for a day then. :P




For every certain period (usually is about 1 week), the supermarkets will have there own special offer poster informing you which items have special price.

However, there is one special condition for that... you need to become a member of it. It was actually a very simple step.

All you have to do is go to the service counter and fill in your information for getting the card... for FREE! There you are, now you are ready to become a calculative shopper like fish fish. :P I love the cards, I'll show you why next time. Forgot to take a picture on that.

I like to receive these posters, they are pretty.

It makes me excited to see the discounted price compared to the original price.

They will commonly have a few ways to quote their special offer.

1. 10/$10, 5/$10, 2/$4 etc.

This is a tricky one, which made me confused in the beginning. It actually doesn't mean that you will need to buy the quantity as quoted.
For example, when it quote 10/$10, it actually means 1/$1. Basically, you can buy only 1 or more, and you will still have the special price.

2. Buy one, Get one FREE.

This is a tricky one. You MUST buy 2 items in order for getting one for free, which is actually a form of selling 2 things at 50% discount. If you get only one item, you will still be charged the normal retail price. Some places allow you to choose items of the same category with different prices for this buy 1 free 1, each item will be charged only half price of its original price. However, some will only allow you to buy 1 free 1 on things with same price.

3. 50% off, $1.00 off etc.

This one is simple. You get discount as quoted for the item. Some supermarkets will reflect the discount on package.

4. Special price written

Ex : $4.99 in big bold word. At the bottom, it will have a small banner saying "Without Member Card $8.49". This type of pricing frequently (but not solely) can be seen on non-food items. It is good to get them during this type of special offer as normal time can be as costly as twice the discounted price.

Heee... hope you are learning something.

Browsing the HUGE supermarket in US, definitely is a fun thing for the glutton fish fish. :P

One bad thing, my front door lamp burnt, not working out. Hmm... I seldom use it and I was only here for 1 month. Hmm... must make a complaint tomorrow.

Ciao~~~

Remaining for Project October 100 Day 3 : US$91.97.

4 Comments:

At 8:21 PM, Blogger Frog said...

Fishy,

Nice blog. I am enjoying your trip. I wish I had known you were in DC. I hope you enjoy NC as much as DC.

 
At 9:55 PM, Blogger Cynthia said...

Hehe.. I always shop with the catalogue as well.. save money. =)and i have a list everytime i go in the supermarket..and i stick to what i need only.

 
At 2:46 PM, Blogger Blackwidow said...

Is there a Trader Joe in your area? It's cheaper and it's all health food, organic growth. They don't have discount to make you buy crappy processed food. Everything is already reasonable price.

 
At 7:11 PM, Blogger fish fish said...

frog : Hello frog, thanks for dropping by. ^_^ I am enjoying both NC and DC.

cynthia : Hehehe... we sound like those Kiam Siap house wives. :P What to do, I am trying to save up my money now.

blackwidow : Nope nope. The nearest Trader Joe is in Virginia, DD. Raleigh only have one Whole Market, which is far away from my apartment and very expensive too. I have no choice ler, these 2 months I need to save money, can't afford those luxurious healthy stuffs that will cost much more. I would love to consume organic foods, but my economic situation don't quite allow me.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home