Kuishinbo~Meow~

I eat so much until people call me Dr. Fish Fish.

Thursday, October 19, 2006

Pam's Farmhouse Restaurant - A true ol' country cooking

It was my last shift for scooping and shaking the ice cream. The most tired day for me. Have been working non-stop inside a hot room. It was fun though. I brought some ice cream back home, as I don't take CHO this week. I am going to save these ice creams until I have lost more weight. :P

Well, as a new resident in North Carolina, which is a part of the Southern USA, it is a must to get to know more about cuisine of the Southern US. You will be seeing me talking about southern food and soul food from time to time in my blog then. ;)




I went to Pam's Farmhouse Restaurant a few weeks ago to have a nice weekend's breakfast. I went there because my workmate told me it is a famous place for some Southern style home cooking.




It was a very warm-feeling cafeteria, with very friendly and nice service from the waitress. In fact, I kept seeing the staffs hugging with customers for a morning greeting.




After some recommendation from the staff, I ordered one portion of fatback and grits.

As you can see, the fatback is the layer of fat along the back of a pig. They fried it to very crunchy. However, this one turned to be too hard.

While Grits, is actually a maize porridge, a common food in Southern US. There are many ways to eat grits. One of it is with red-eye gravy. Errr... I can't take coffee, so I didn't taste the red-eye gravy.




I wanted something with stronger taste after the bland grits. After a few suggestions, I decided to go on this one.

A biscuit dish. However, they prepared the way different from the one I had before. This time, it was a biscuit with gravy.

Finally, I had a chance to try the biscuit in gravy. :P I have always curious about it. Well, it was definitely something very different as the biscuit soaked up the thick gravy. It made the flaky biscuit turned into something very soft and "fluffy". Well, too bad the gravy was too salty, or else it is going to be a great dish.

Oooo~~~ the breakfast triggered my curiosity on Southern food. I will definitely try them more in the future. In fact, I had tried a few, which will be coming up. ;)

Good night.

Remaining for Project October 100 Day 19 = US$ 21.68

3 Comments:

At 11:24 PM, Blogger cooknengr said...

Hey Fish Fish: we call them corn instead of Maize :)

 
At 6:53 PM, Blogger Pink Cotton said...

wow...hugging customers as a welcome gesture huh??

giggle

if it happened here in kuching sure people would think the waitresses are 'SIAO'

haha

 
At 8:35 PM, Blogger fish fish said...

cooknengr : Maize sounds more professional. :P

pink cotton : Heee... surely not in a cafeteria. But I saw a lot of huggings in the pubs in Kuching!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home