Kuishinbo~Meow~

I eat so much until people call me Dr. Fish Fish.

Friday, October 13, 2006

Virginia Trip : Arlington House

It's the starting of North Carolina State Fair 2006 today. I was on duty to sell ice cream and milk shake for 3 hrs. I was doing scooping in the beginning, but then I was turning into a "Pro Shaker". SHAKE IT, baby~~~ Buolala~~~ it was fun!!

I bought a Jumbo Turkey Leg as my late lunch. It was sinfully delicious. I limited myself to get only 1 thing today as I am on a tight month for expenses. It costed me US$6. -_-"""

I'm going to work again this Sunday. More chance to take pictures, more chance to spend money (-_-"""). It still have a large part for me to discover! ^_^

Oh yes... I'll start posting the whole series on it once I get the pictures settled.

Meawhile, I shall continue on my Virginia trip's post today.




As I mentioned in my previous post, I went to a great house on top of the hill. It is named Arlington House.

It is a Greek revival style mansion.




During the American Civil War, the grounds of the mansion were selected as the site of Arlington National Cemetery, in part to ensure that General Robert E. Lee would never again be able to return to his home.

You could read the interesting history behind through the links in this post.




This place can give you a good view on Lincoln Memorial, across the Potomac River.

It was free to have a tour inside the house.




Huge part of things inside the house were the original from its pre-Civil War.




It has a very nice dining room.

I was greatly attracted by the potraits on the wall. I even imagined that their eyes were blinking at me when I stared at them. Heeee... the side effect from reading Harry Potter.




This was the Girls' Chamber, I think. Room of Annie, Agnes and Mildred.




Next to the room, I saw this antique baby car. So small and cute.




This, was Colonel and Mrs. Lee's Chamber. See that white door? The door leads into the dressing room, where Mrs. Lee gave birth to six of their seven children. Wow!!




During the old time, it could be quite a troublesome thing to go onto the bed, especially for little kids as the bed might be too high for them to climb. This was when this portable stairs helped them.

However, there was another great function of it. Imagine if you open the middle stair... tralala~~~ you would see a urination pot placing inside it. Oh my... so nostalgic. I used to have that in my room when I was still a preschool kids. Errr... maybe until Primary 1 or 2. But we put it under our bed instead of "hiding" it in such a beautiful way. Splendid idea, isn't it??




This piano is different from the one I have. I think it was a piano for Barouqe music. I don't know. But I do know it's beautiful~~~




There was even a painting studio beside the piano. This studio was belonged to George Washington Parke Custis. That was a HUGE drawing... but I'm not sure whether it was a completed piece or not.




Another interesting part in this house was the slavery story behind it.

The enslaved community included several large, extended families. Mrs. Custis worked to provide rudimentary education to the slaves.




This was the room of the slaves. It was very simple. Beds, a chair and a hand-weaving machine.

Among the slave, there was one who named Selina Gray. She had tried her hardest to confronted the soldiers when they tried to take the Treasures in the house. As a consequence, many priceless heirlooms were saved.

Eventually, Mrs. Custis let the slaves have their freedom.

All the histories behind this house led to the house as the Robert E. Lee Memorial (aka Arlington House). Yes, this house definitely worth a visit.

I was truly enjoying it.

Enjoy your weekends!

Remaining for Project October 100 Day 13 : US$62.11

4 Comments:

At 7:53 PM, Blogger Lannae said...

fish fish, you fit in quite a bit into one short weekend. You saw so much! I love the picture looking over Arlington Cemetary and the monuments. Quite stunning!

 
At 10:30 PM, Blogger misakichan said...

Hey FF, running here and there as usual I see... =) Some of the pictures are fantastic! Where's the picture of you being a pro shaker? Hehe...

 
At 6:00 AM, Blogger cooknengr said...

Hey Fish Fish, did you sing hte Milkshake song ?
http://www.lyricsdirectory.com/index/K/Kelis/Kelis%20-%20Milkshake%20lyrics.htm

 
At 6:12 PM, Blogger fish fish said...

lannae : The feeling in real life was even greater! ;)

misakichan : Not as freely as I was in Japan or Malaysia. I don't have a shaker pic of myself, but I took pic of other shaker. Tee hee hee...

cooknengr : Wow!! Can you sing that for me?? I want to hear!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home