Kuishinbo~Meow~

I eat so much until people call me Dr. Fish Fish.

Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Virginia trip : Arlington National Cemetery

After S and I had the lunch, we left Washington DC. Soon, we came to Virginia state. Actually it was just a short distance by driving across Potomac River via Arlington Memorial Bridge and it will lead you into Virginia. However, the road sign could be quite confusing, so one might go to the wrong path if didn't notice the sign carefully.

Anyway, S and I reached the place safely, though a little delay.




We came to the Arlington National Cemetery in Arlington, Virginia.

Yes, veterans from all the US nation's wars are interred in this cemetery. Not only this, it seems to be a hot spot for doing jogging and there were a lot of tourist visiting this place.




It is truly a HUGE cemetery. What you see in this picture, is just a very small part of the cemetery. Can you imagine how many tombs are located here?

I like the tombs, I like the cemetery. It didn't give me an eerie feeling. In fact, it gave me a peace of mind. This place must be very beautiful during spring with the sakura trees around it. However, I never like war. So, it was a complicated feeling for me when I was there.

I decided to visit the place as a tourist. There were actually a few famous spots in the Cemetery. However, we had to give up Tomb of the Unknowns and Arlington Memorial Amphitheatre as we did not have adequate time for that.




We went to Kennedy Gravesites.

It was another strange feeling for me. I went to the place where he made the proposal, after 1 hr, I was standing beside his tomb.




We walked to higher area in the Cemetery. The tombs looked different from those we saw earlier. These tombs were bigger and most of them had only 1 word. I guessed it was the family name. These must be the veterans with higher rank.

Then, higher again we went.




The tombs now looked more "elegant". More words that described in details who were those that burried under the tombs. The design of these tombs were more variable.




Among them, this was my favorite. Beautiful, isn't it?




We came to the top. I was standing there, looking at Washington DC across the river, while there were thousands and thousands of tombs around me.

The feeling was again... undescribable.

You would be amazed there was actually a great house on the top of this Cemetery.

Now, why there was a house here? That, will be the story for my next post.

Tired day. I need an early sleep. Good night.

Remaining for Project October 100 = US$68.11

3 Comments:

At 4:26 AM, Blogger Acrix said...

Yeah the western cemetery is not as eerie as the chinese one. And one thing i like bout their tomb is the cross. Visited a nice cemetery in Wicklow last month with lotsa nice celtic cross :) Ur favourite tomb in the photo looks like a giant piece of chocolate~

 
At 5:12 AM, Blogger Pink Cotton said...

hahha i must admit it would have been strange for me too if i had been to his place of proposal just a while ago and at his tomb an hour later :P

but life is full of tears and happiness..they all cmoe together ;)

 
At 6:27 PM, Blogger fish fish said...

acrix : These... they don't even have a cross. Just like thousands of chess pieces .

pink cotton : That's how we appreciate the happy times. ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home