Kuishinbo~Meow~

I eat so much until people call me Dr. Fish Fish.

Monday, November 13, 2006

My 1st Thanksgiving Meal

Thanksgiving Day in U.S. only comes next Thursday, however I had an early Thanksgiving Lunch with my boss and coworkers this afternoon.

It was a classic Thanksgiving meal. It was my 1st experience. It was an awesome lunch.

We had the splendid foods prepared by everyone.



Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Turkey is a must for a classic Thanksgiving. Paige prepared a great roasted turkey, with her turkey gravy, it was absolutely yummy.

The turkey was not overcooked, with nice juicy flesh in the right tenderness.

The gravy was a bit salty, but with the right portion, it really went well with the turkey.



Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
I have heard about how sweet a cranberry sauce could be. Somehow, Jeab made this in a perfect balance of sweetness and sourness. She reduced the sugar in the original recipe into half, it turned out to be a wise decision. The sourness of the cranberry sauce nicely brought out by the orange juice and sugar used in this sauce.

It was a really good sauce to go with the savoury dishes.



Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
My boss and his wife brought 2 dishes. The stuffing...



Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
... and sweet potato casserole with pecan.

The key ingredient for making these 2 dishes divinely good - BUTTER!!

The stuffing was so good that I had the 2nd portion on it. I love how the texture of bread crumb blended so well with the celery chunks. The taste was fabulous and by adding some turkey gravy onto it, I was enjoying 2 types of taste with one dish. ;)

I am not a fan of sweet potato, mainly because there were too much sweet potato desserts in Japan that I had consumed and I was quite sick of it.

However, this sweet potato casserole, definitely something I have had for the 1st time. I have to admit that I actually loving this. The magic played by the butter, totally turned the "sweet" potato into something that was sinfully good yet not overtaking the main role of it. The pecan gave a nutty texture and flavour to make this dish move lively.

Geeee... now I really want to get this recipe from Joanna (my boss's wife). Hmmm... maybe I should.



Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Tristan was preparing another version of potato - the white potato. What I liked about this dish was how she prepared the mushroom topping. It was really flavourful and the texture of the mushroom was what I enjoyed the most. I am a mushroom fetish, in term of the texture and aroma especially. However, most of the time I am not good in preparing mushroom with the perfect texture. This mushroom texture was definitely the type I was craving for.



Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Tralala~~~ fish fish preparedg green vegetable. Since I am sick, I dropped the idea to prepare green bean bundles as planned earlier.

I was still using the green bean, but I prepared something with minimum direct contact of my hands to the dish. I prepared Green Bean with Roasted Almond. The seasoning were 2 spoons of olive oil, 1/2 teaspoon of salt, 1 tablespoon of fresh lime juice and a pinch of coarsely ground black pepper.

Glad the texture turned out to be soft as I wanted instead of the undercooked texture that I did earlier in the trial. However, the colour of the green bean turned quite dull this time. Oh well, couldn't kill 2 birds with one stone this time. I over-roasted my slivered almond, you could see some of turn turned ugly charcoal colour.

However, I had a good feedback from the tasters. :P (Yah, they were my guinea pigs for this dish.) So happy with the nice comments from them! Well, one thing they really like about my green bean is they all looked the same length. Tee hee heee...

Good comments always are a great drive for me to try something new. I really think my current kitchen is a great place for me to do more cooking experiments, maybe I should look for more online recipes and try to challenge them.



Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Jason made a decent soup. Nothing to complain about this soup. It was so good that I decided to finish it until the last drop. Well, I am a big fan of soup, so any good soup really would thrill me.

The soup taste lighter than its look. I love it so much. There was a slight resemblance with gumbo, which is one of my favorite American soup.

Oh ya, I have asked him to give me the recipe. :P Absolutely going to try making this soup in the future.



Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
;) Food Food Food in my plate. I finished the whole thing because everything was simply yummy. The most important, I had a bunch of great people to share that precious time with me.

I was so full after that that for dinner, I only had a glass of soymilk. Gosh... I am still not feeling hungry now.



Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Just when everybody was satisfied with the main meal, Neal served his home-made apple tart.

What a surprise! This tall guy did really give me a good shock with his tart. It was delicious.

I am an applephobic in term of fresh apple as the texture of the fresh apple have the same effect of scribbling chalk in a blackboard that yields horror high-pitch noise. However, Neal baked this apple so good that he destroyed that fresh apple texture yet not until the level the apple texture was totally disrupted. It remained the chewy yet soft texture. It was not too sweet, which was something I would opt for.

Of course, a southern Thanksgiving Meal would not be a complete without Southern Sweet Tea! Xin provided that. It was a great thirst quencher for the whole great meal.

Time spent in preparing my green bean : 30 min
People I spent my 1st Thanksgiving meal : 8 people
Memory stayed in my mind : Priceless

Thanksgiving is definitely will never be the same to me anymore. ^_^

THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH! (Dedicated to the wonderful people in my work place).

7 Comments:

At 4:29 AM, Blogger Johnny said...

wow, what a great thanksgiving meal!....no doubt sick ppl can recover immediately....hahaha... nice nice especially apple tart n sweet potato...unique....:)

 
At 9:02 AM, Blogger Di said...

ahh looks great..could do with some turkey and cranberry sauce.. i might have to try roasting a turkey for christmas now!^__^

 
At 2:29 PM, Blogger letti said...

i'm with di on the cranberry sauce. it's delish!

 
At 4:27 PM, Blogger fish fish said...

johnny : Oh yes Johnny chan, it was a great meal to heal a physically weak fish fish now. :P

di : Geee... ganbatte di!! I heard to roat a good turkey need right roasting time and good skill which take a lot of practice.

letti : Are you going to make your own turkey this year? The 1st time cranberry sauce experience was indeed a good one for me.

 
At 8:37 PM, Blogger Lannae said...

What a nice way to celebrate! Look at all the lushous food! You work with lots of talented people! About the green beans, I ended up with sauteed green beans with black bean sauce. I was too lazy to go to the store for bacon. BUT! I next time I get green beans, I will wrap 5 beans in bacon.

 
At 12:00 AM, Blogger Sean Carter said...

Well you had a great time it seems...and the photos are making me drool!!! thanks for sharing your wonderful experience with us....and hey also drop by my Thanksgiving Blog sometime and share all the fun and mirth of the celebration!!!!

 
At 7:52 PM, Blogger fish fish said...

lannae : Black bean sauce sounds yummy to me. I love black bean.

sean : Thanks for dropping by.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home