Kuishinbo~Meow~

I eat so much until people call me Dr. Fish Fish.

Saturday, November 25, 2006

Sweet Potato Cupcakes...

... for Thanksgiving Meal! ^_^

I made my first attempt last week.

Big batch this time on the Thanksgiving morning. Everything was done 1 hr before went to the Thanksgiving gathering.

Bought aluminium cups to make them easier to handle and looked prettier.

Portion : 15 cups of Japanese style baked Sweet Potato

Ingredients :
1.5 kg sweet potatoes
6 tbsp unsalted sweet cream butter
7 tbsp dark brown sugar (the suggested amount was 10 tbsp granulated sugar)
4.5 egg yolks
8 tbsp whipped heavy cream (the suggested amount was 15 tbsp fresh cream)
1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
1/2 tsp imitation rum extract or 2 tbsp rum wine (I used rum extract)
1.5 egg yolks for surface glazing

Steps :

1. Wash and peel skin of sweet potatoes with gloves. Cut them into 3 inch blocks. Steam for 20 min or microwave for 8 min with wrap until soft. While doing this, whipped the heavy cream.

2. While the sweet potatoes are still hot, add in butter and mix the whole thing until the butter is melted and the potatoes are smashed.

3. Add in the remaining ingredients one by one and mix well (except the egg yolks for glazing).

4. Let the mixture cold to harden for 15-20 min in fridge. While waiting for this, preheat oven to 350°F.

5. Fill the mixture into the aluminium cups and bake for 5 min.

6. Take them out and glaze the surface with egg yolks. Bake until the surface turns brown (about 40-45 min).

The end result?



Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Tralala~~~

Not looking bad huh? ;)

Well, as I reduced the amount of sugar and whipped cream this time, they were not too oily and high calories as previous one. The taste was milder too. I like it, although I think it might be too tasteless for some people who prefer strong taste desserts (I noticed that in this country some people like a lot of cream and sweet syrup on their already sweet desserts). I felt bad for making the sweet potatoes cupcakes too mild.

So, if you want to try making one next time, just make sure you know what is your preference.

I'll make it stronger taste next time for my guests instead of my own preference. :P

You'll know where these sweet potatoes ended up in my next post. ^_^

Tata~~~

3 Comments:

At 11:54 PM, Blogger carcar said...

is it 番薯 cake?

sound interesting to me!

*was attracted by your writing on the side bar, it makes me check on my feet, look for a mole there*

 
At 7:47 AM, Blogger Primrose said...

Wah, I see fish fish experimenting a lot of baking lately wor. Hehe! Eh but sweet potato I have never tried. It does look like a pie but look really nice. I'm just not keen on sweet potatoes. If it's butter pastry, then yuuummmm!!

 
At 7:46 PM, Blogger fish fish said...

carcar : Yap, Fan Shu Cake. So, do you have a mole under your feet too? ;)

primrose : Yeah lor~~~ even I myself am surprised with that. Hey, try to make this and tell me if you like it. I am not keen on sweet potatoes too, but I like this one because of the butter inside goes so well with it. :P Can't eat a lot though, you will get fatigue easily.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home