Kuishinbo~Meow~

I eat so much until people call me Dr. Fish Fish.

Sunday, February 18, 2007

First CNY in U.S.A

I woke up this morning and said to myself, "Happy New Year!"

Did nothing whole day, except eating, talking on the phone and relaxing myself.

Yesterday, I joint the Yang's family for a great CNY eve.

We went to do shopping for a few hours before heading back for preparing the CNY Eve's Dinner. I was indeed very grateful for the invitation. You know it is not a good feeling to celebrate this festive holiday alone.



Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Mama Yang started to get busy and dirty at the kitchen.



Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Xin and me were assigned to make sesame paste rice dumplings. We spent a few hours to finish the assignment.



Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
This was the first trial batch. Big and small, thick and thin.

After an hour, we really made those rice dumplings looked as round and as same size on each of them. ^_^

The taste was fabulous. Now I know that to make a good sesame paste rice dumplings was not a hard task at all. Details on how to make will be in later posts.

In Jiang Xi, it is a tradition to eat this sweet rice dumplings during CNY eve.



Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Around the dinner time, Mama Yang has prepared a full table of dishes.

Although the dinner was scheduled at 6.30pm, the guest only reached 35 min later.



Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Papa Yang decided to get out his precious Chinese white wine, Mao Tai to drink with me first. :P



Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
My 1st glass of Mao Tai, the national wine of China.

"Kanpai!"

The Mao Tai was very flavourful. A very strong 53% alcohol spirit.

It was too strong to drink that alone.



Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
However, with this great Chinese dumpling, the wine tasted really awesome.

Luckily we ate this to fill up the hunger while waiting for the guests to come. Hmmm...

Once the guests reached at 7.05pm, we started to chomp down all the great foods!!



Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
This is a must eat soup in Jiang Xi during CNY eve. It is called Hu Geng (糊羹), a kind of thick soup made from sweet potato starch.

I love this. By adding Chinese Black Vinegar, it was as good as a bowl of good shark fin soup. *Slurp*



Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
This is another great traditional dish of Yang's family. It is steamed pork with rice flour. On that night, Mama Yang cooked it using microwave and the result was as good as the steamed version. I will show how to make this in my coming posts. ;)



Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
We also have this soft and chewy five spices pork tongue. A dish that simply made you addicted to it easily.



Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Also, the classic dish in Yang's family, a good plate of five spices beef. Scrumptious taste with great texture.



Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
This is a unique dish of Jiang Xi province. A dish that made from Pomelo spongy rind (pith?). Very special texture and unique flavour. How to made this? I will show in my coming posts too. :P

Jiang Xi is a province in China that plants pomelo in big mass. However, the spongy rind has higher price that the sweet flesh due to its high demand in using it in cooking. It was an interesting fact for me.



Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Eat tofu, then you will become rich rich. :P

This plate of black bean pork braised tofu was simply something simple, flavourful and yummy to accompany those meat dishes.



Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
This Chinese Cabbage stir fry was another great mild fiber source for a balanced meal.



Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Black fungus is always my favorite. I love the cartilaginous mouthfeel when biting them.



Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Although I am not a fan of pork liver due to the high cholesterol content of this organ, I ate a lot of pork liver that day. You will know why in my later posts.

For this one, I only tried 2 pieces. Cooked yet not overdone. Sweet liver with spicy chili, great combination.



Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
This fish was brought by one of the guests. It is a Chinese tradition to eat fish on CNY eve. A symbolic dish for "Every year has savings".

We love this fish. It was finished in a fast speed.

It was a full dinner. Yet, it didn't end just here.



Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
We each had a bowl of this red bean soup with rice and taro dumplings. Great dessert. Not too sweet, not too mild, just the perfect sweetness for me.



Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
The 2nd dish was this frozen cream puff. Each was in a cute mini size that just popped into your mouth easily. Love the feeling of the cream melted slowly inside my mouth.



Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
The hosts prepared this nice chocolate cheese cake that they bought from fresh market. The chocolate was too sweet for me, but I simply enjoy the middle layer cheese.



Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
The aftermath of the feast, time for some good chatting while biting watermelon seeds one by one with a cup of warm drink.



Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Look at all the happy faces!! ^_^



Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Thank you dear hosts. I will never forget what a great CNY eve's dinner that I experienced in U.S. for the 1st time because of you all.

Happy Chinese New Year.

Papa Yang and Mama Yang is going to leave U.S. in another 2 days to go back to China. They are great people. I wish them all the best.

9 Comments:

At 11:01 PM, Blogger cooknengr said...

Hey Fish Fish, some say if I eat Tofu, then I become Kamsap佬.

 
At 8:22 AM, Blogger Serenity said...

awesome! looks like you had FUN. tis a good first CNY then. hee..hee!

 
At 4:05 PM, Blogger mk@tokyo said...

all the food looks so delicious! so envy! can't wait to see the recipes! :)

 
At 7:01 PM, Blogger Primrose said...

Wow, wow, wow, wow! I'm so glad you're not missing anything. In fact, enjoy better than myself thim! I love black fungus also. Gong hei fatt choy, ok? Have fun.

 
At 12:47 AM, Blogger Lee Ai Ling said...

Wah...! Happy Chinese New Year! What a meal!

 
At 11:01 AM, Blogger lance said...

Glad to hear that FF had a very nice CNY with good company and good food. Looking forward to FF's future posts on the preparation of some of the food as they look really tasty. I was really surprised to read that the pomelo skin is eaten. I've been eating the pomelo fruit since kid time, but never knew that the skin can be prepared and eaten as well. Sure looking forward to that post so I can try it.

 
At 6:49 PM, Blogger fish fish said...

cooknengr : Ini tofu tak sama itu tofu. Hamsap Lo!

serenity : Yap, it was indeed a FUN day for me.

mk@tokyo : Hopefully I will post them up soon. Please wait ar~~~

primrose : Hey dear, show me what you had on your CNY ler~~~

lee ai ling : Same same to you Ai Ling. ^_^

lance : Neither did I, Lance. Neither did I.

 
At 8:37 AM, Blogger Tea said...

Mmm...looks like you really enjoyed yourself this CNY! ^_^ I really enjoyed your post and your blog! I can't wait for that sesame paste rice dumpling recipe - my sesame paste is always rough and never smooth. O_o;;

 
At 8:28 PM, Blogger fish fish said...

Tea : I am sorry for delaying the recipe. Once the Baltimore posts over, I'll continues with the recipe.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home