Kuishinbo~Meow~

I eat so much until people call me Dr. Fish Fish.

Saturday, February 03, 2007

An International Dinner

Today was such a beautiful sunny day, although still cold.

By the time I reached home from supermarket, it was almost 4.00pm. Just in time to start my cooking for tonight's international pot luck party. We decided to do this party for Xin's parents to let them know what is a pot luck party in U.S. In case you don't know, Xin's mom is a great cook. See here for the proof. ;)



Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
I was cooking pork curry with this Ayam Curry Sauce.



Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Also, a can of coconut milk.

Although I used to eat pork curry cooked by mom, this was my first time trying to cook a pork curry.



Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
I used a block of Boston Butt. After cutting them into cubes, I blanched and rinsed them to get rid of the odd smell.



Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
These potatoes went into a 325 degree Celcius oven for about 20 min to make them halfcooked.

The pork was cooked for about 1hr in the curry plus coconut milk.

Then, baked potatoes were added in and the whole thing was cooked for another 20 min.



Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
^_^ Done!



Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
While waiting for my curry to cook, I used the time to prepare this huge portion of salad with the sweet and sour dressing I tried before.

Everything was ready 5 min before the guests started to come at 6.00pm.

Xin's group reached the earliest. They brought in 2 types of Chinese cuisine.



Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
A fermented black bean pork rib...



Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
... and these nice 5 spices eggs.

Then, Jeab's family was closely followed behind.



Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
She prepared a Thai style sweet grilled chicken with cilantro.



Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
While her husband, cooked this spicy ground beef.



Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Hazel came alone as her husband was busy with work in New York.

She made us this fabulous arroz con pollo, a traditional dish in Latin America.



Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Then, our final guest, Tristan, homemade a popular soul food - corn bread.



Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Besides that, she also bought some traditional pulled pork of Eastern North Carolina and hush puppies. They came with 2 side dishes, the fried okra and coleslaw.

Nine adults and 2 kids, we were ready to CHOMP! :P

*Cheers!*



Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Then, the taking foods in action.

^_^



Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
My plate, with a bit of everything.

Everybody really enjoyed the melt-in-mouth steamed black bean pork ribs. Jeab's husband liked it so much that he asked for the recipe from Xin's mom. ;) The 5 spices egg has always been my favorite. I keep the leftover. :P

Thai's spicy beef was an addictive dish to go with rice. It was spicy, but very good. The sweet grilled chicken tasted great after picking out all the cilantro. *Oops! Sorry, no cilantro for a cilantrophobia*

The arroz con pollo was delicious. It was a flavourful dish. The saffron rice matched really good with the savory chicken. I enjoyed this. Even took a 2nd round on it.

I tried the corn bread with the curry gravy. It was a fun way how the Malaysian taste was infused into a soul food item. When I was a student back in Malaysia, I used to like to eat my bread by simply dipping into the thick curry gravy. Dipping the cornbread into this curry gravy was bringing me back to that old time, yet with a new taste.

The pulled pork was good. However, I just like the hush puppies more. It has been quite a while I didn't have any hush puppies, I missed it. Therefore, when this time a good hush puppies was there, I just couldn't stop myself to eat it like a snack. :P

Oh yah, my pork curry turned out better than I thought. The Boston Butt was very soft and yummy. Only one thing about Malaysia curry, there is always an obvious layer of red oil on the top. -_-"""

My salad received a good feedback from the guests. Although a huge portion was prepared, at the end of the dinner, only 1/6 of the portion remained. I was really happy to see that. That proved that it will not be the wrong choice to prepare this salad again for my future party. :P



Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
A nice party must be ended with dessert. We had Sara Lee Strawberry Cheesecake ice cream.

It was my 1st time trying this ice cream. Taste good. Furthermore, with a great group of people, it tasted even better.



Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Thank you everybody. It was definitely an awesome international dinner for me. *_*

6 Comments:

At 1:42 PM, Blogger pengorama said...

Yum! I wish I was at that dinner!

 
At 9:22 PM, Blogger Serenity said...

Your curry looks so delicious! If only I could put my hand thru the computer screen and taste it. A virtual buffet. Haha! Fantastic dinner on a Super Bowl Sunday :)))

 
At 2:26 PM, Blogger Blackwidow said...

Curry PORK??? FF, I never have curry pork in my life!

 
At 7:39 PM, Blogger fish fish said...

pengorama : But you are in Georgia. :P

serenity : This dinner was on Saturday, the night before Superbowl. I will show what I had for the superbowl in my next 2 posts. ;)

blackwidow : Yap DD, PORK curry. You should try. ^_^ Porl rib curry better.

 
At 10:42 PM, Blogger cooknengr said...

Hey Fish Fish, Ayam Brand #1 ? Ano...Ichiban desuka?

 
At 7:39 PM, Blogger fish fish said...

cooknengr : Ichiban desu. But very oily.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home