Kuishinbo~Meow~

I eat so much until people call me Dr. Fish Fish.

Thursday, April 05, 2007

Quick and easy Nikujaga

Nikujaga is a very common dish in Japanese families. In fact, each family has its own Nikujaga taste. Some are very soupy, some prefer it to be dry.

The word nikujaga simply means "Meat and potato". In west of Japan, it is common to use beef while the east tend to use pork. Beside the potato, some will also use onion, carrot and konnyaku.

I was craving for this. I decided to look for some simple and easy recipes. Hehe... know how to read Japanese made my searching so easy.

Among them, I used this one as my reference. Unlike normal Nikujaga, this recipe only requires 3 very basic seasonings - soysauce, sugar and cooking wine!

Ingredients :
200 g beef
3 medium potatoes
1 onion
a few bundles of thread-shape konnyaku (can also substitute with normal konnyaku by cut them into thread-shape) (if you don't have konnyaku, carrot will be good too)
3 tbsp soy sauce
2 tbsp sugar
2 tbsp cooking wine
1 tbsp cooking oil

Recipe :
1. Thinly slice the beef ( the thinner the better). Cut potatoes into big chunks. Slice onion into thin comb shape.
2. Heat the cooking oil in a pot, then stir fry the beef with it. Add sugar, soysauce and cooking wine. (Once the flavour turns into slightly thicker than sukiyaki, it is ok.)
3. Add in potatoes, onion and konnyaku into the pot. Cook the whole thing for about 20 min in medium heat with lid. Make sure to stir the thing from time to time to avoid burning.



Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Tralala~~~~

Now this, I will call it fish fish style Nikujaga. :P



Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
It was my first time trying to make this dish. Surprisingly simple.



Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Hehe... one thing I do need to improve - to cut my beef as thin as possible next time. :P I was too lazy to do it this time.

Apart from that, everything was just so woolala~~~

Know what I will say about gulping down a big bowl of rice with this Nikujaga?

HEAVENLY YUMMILICIOUS~~~ ;P

3 Comments:

At 6:25 PM, Blogger Lrong said...

Wheeei !! It's been some time since I visited your blog and am pleasantly surprised to see you going places... what are you doing in NC? I can understand your cravings for things Japanese... that is one big reason why I cannot get myself to leave Japan even after all these years... anyway, it is good to see that you are still 'Tralala-ing' away... and I love nikujaga too..

 
At 7:23 AM, Blogger cooknengr said...

Hey Fish Fish, classic downhome cooking is the best.

 
At 11:38 AM, Blogger fish fish said...

lrong : I am working in NC now. ^_^ Hehe... I must admit life is Japan too convenient, we are spoilt!

cooknengr : Ha... I can cook in a proper way one too ok.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home