Kuishinbo~Meow~

I eat so much until people call me Dr. Fish Fish.

Monday, May 07, 2007

Big Ed's City Market Restaurant

I found an interesting restaurant to eat lunch. The first thing that attracted me was the name.

May fish fish present you...



Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Tralalaaa~~~ BIG ED's.

Then only I realised this is one of the very famous place for real North Carolina's country cooking. ;)

I miss dumpling back home so much. When I saw the menu "Chicken and dumpling", no way I was going to skip that.



Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Ha! Did it look like "dumpling" for you all out there? This is not the Chinese dumpling, it is actually a popular Southern dumplings, called chicken dumpling. They made it from scratch.

It was a different taste. A little too much on the salty side. Somehow, it reminded me more of the Foo Chow Din Bian Hu, only with less ingredients. I would like it if the dumplings were more elastic rather than lumpy mushy texture.



Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Also ordered a country's ham with red-eye gravy. Again, this is the real southern food. Alright, you Zhi Lian Kuang in Los Angeles, always teased Cynthia, Mama Bok and me with your foods, now it is time for revenge. Haha!!!

You get "water added" ham in L.A. I cut a big slice of country ham for a huge pork leg. Even got bone in the middle.

Mm~mm~mm~mm~mm~~~~

Gosh~~~ this thing was good, it was so salty that it is good to eat with a huge bowl of white rice with only one bite. (:P Meaning it was too salty for my palate)

Too bad no white rice...



Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Luckily I have the made from the scratch flaky biscuit and cornbread.

So, Mr. Zhi Lian Kuang, come to Southern part to learn the cooking and bring it back to L.A. Get yourself a restaurant exactly like this...



Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
See? I am so kind that I have even helped you to think of the shop name. :P

But remember to pay me the copyright fee. Thank you~~~

6 Comments:

At 8:12 PM, Blogger Cynthia said...

what a weird name :)
i havent come across something like that...if i do, i show u.
=)

 
At 9:49 PM, Blogger cooknengr said...

Hey Fish Fish, die lah, that is so cool. Okay, I'll see if if can visit sometime. I'll have to post Southern ham and red eye gravy..we have everything in L.A. even have Kachangma!

 
At 6:31 AM, Blogger Janice Dhing Woon said...

that's very unique, a hakka shop name :P

 
At 6:35 AM, Blogger Janice Dhing Woon said...

in your country ham's pic, is the knife inside the meat or under the meat?

 
At 12:19 PM, Blogger kayatan said...

Ha ha Fish fish,

Welcome to the world of the Southerner, I have lived in the Southern land for yrs now, and got lots of Southerner relatives so 'chien quat pui quat' lah. We have a true blue Southern redneck restaurant here, it is buffet, u can eat the chicks dumplings, black eyes pees, pork ribs and of course don't forget the Southern fried chickens until u drop dead. Dh has to go to get his fix every now and then :)-.

U know another name for the Southern belt is gallbladder stones belt :):)?

Want the real Southern food ? go and join a Southern baptist church and joined their yrly pinic on the ground, then u will really experience yr true blue southern food :)-.

 
At 6:42 PM, Blogger fish fish said...

cynthia : I will wait for that. ^_^

cooknengr : ham and red eye gravy, the real one, show me!

janice : The knife is common to put under the meat for ham and steak in U.S.

kayatan : hehe... the place where I am working even have a whole pig BBQ for party. ;) How southern is that?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home