Kuishinbo~Meow~

I eat so much until people call me Dr. Fish Fish.

Sunday, May 20, 2007

The Culinary Institute of America at Greystone

Napa Valley was one of my best memory during my previous trip to California.



Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Magnificent view of acres of grape vines on both side of the roads was breathtaking. Too bad it was winter, not a single leaf was spotted on the vines.



Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Mr. Food Guide knows this place that have been always on my mind, it is one of the place I want to go the most, even till today. He stopped there without saying anything and asked me to go and have a look.

Cluelessly, I walked pass this beautiful front part.



Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Then, I came to it nice and tidy backyard.

Still, I didn't know what he was trying to tell me.



Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Then he pointed to the wall. All of the sudden, everything was more than obvious to me.

The FRENCH LAUNDRY!!! Oh gosh, it was like dreaming. I was in front of the place that I have dreamt countless times. Too bad, it was closed for the festive season. Oh well, French Laundry, I will definitely come again one day. I will make sure I taste you for real that time.

For those of you that have no clue what this place is, it is ranked the Best Restaurant in America and No.4 in the World by Restaurant Magazine. Even the waiters that serve you have a proper 3-year course before they are qualified to serve in this place. You have to book this place months earlier in order to be able to eat here.

Mmmm~~~ even thinking about it is making my adrenaline running wild now.



Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Well, we went to another place though for a good lunch. Past through this beautiful road...



Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
... and one nice looking building showed in front of us.



Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Tralala~~~ another place that I have always wanted to go. The Culinary Institute of America in Greystone!! So happy that I was finally there.

This place produced many great chefs and will produce more.



Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
They even plant there own big and juicy lemon...



Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
...and their own olives.

Imagine these fresh from trees goodies will be served to us on the dining tables. ^_^



Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
We were lucky to get our table although we did not do any booking. We waited for 45 minutes for our turn.

During that time, it was great to have a short visit to the CIA museum attached beside. Even had a nice little shopping in the souvenier shop.

That was just the perfect time to fill up our hungry stomach.

This restaurant is unique as all the people working inside are either the CIA teacher or student. How cool is that!!



Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Not many restaurants serve olive as starter but they have it here. Three different types of olive, tasted very different. One of them was my favorite. I hope these were the olives from their garden.



Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
The bread was great. Especially with the butter, who cared about calories that time. :P



Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Since it was year end time, I wanted a seasonal warm Brandy Egg Nogg to soothe my throat before the real stuffs.

Sweetness from the egg nogg and kick from the Brandy, they just matched so well. *slurp*



Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Oolala~~~ look at our choice of appetizer.

This was called American Caviar and Oyster Tasting. It was a trio of caviar and oysters from three different regions served with crème fraîche and mignonette.

Well, these were the best raw oyster that I have ever tasted. They were small, but the taste was explosive even by its own. The companion of the caviar definitely boosted up the whole thing.

It was indeed a pleasant surprise for me. Each of them was so unique, neither one could overtake the other. I love the texture of these fresh oyster, therefore I prefer them over caviar. However, since my eating experience in caviar was very limited, I will only make my judgement when I get to eat a few more times.

Until then, hehe... I will always choose Mentaiko over caviar. :P



Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
We ordered 2 main courses.

First was this salmon with goat cheese terrine. The different sprouts at the side looked good, but not my cup of tea. I am never a fan of sprouts, I just don't like the feeling of gulping these little plant down.

It was my first time trying a terrine. Lovely looking dish. I love the way how the mild goat cheese blended with herbs to give the irresitible temptation to me. The salmon was the best among the combination. A good slice of salmon was great to eat it just as it was. Lovely melting texture with the umami of the salmon. Serious stuff!



Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
The next main course was Pan Seared Day Boat Scallops with gnocchi and green sprout. The scallops was cooked rare and went very well with the porcini sauce. I never really like gnocchi because it makes one full easily. However, the gnocchi in this dish was only a supporting role, only a few inside. Yet, these few gnocchi brought out the whole dish into a different level of enjoyment, both taste and texture.

Argh~~~ I miss these big and plump scallops.



Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Since I have an obsession to try different version of creme brulee, I decided to give it a shot for the CIA's version.



Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
It did not disappoint me at all. In fact, one of the pretty good version in my creme brulee list. Look at those tiny vanilla beans inside the custard layer and the thin layer of the hardened caramelized sugar on the top of it, pretty much said how good this thing was. The moment when I break the hard caramel surface with my spoon, it splited just as where I wanted it too be, not too much nor less.

The whole lunch was absolutely a fantastic experience for me. It definitely qualified as one of my best lunch. Proper yet relaxing dining place, great food and pleasant service... that is really what I want in a good eating-out.

The next time if you go to Napa Valley, get yourself a chance to dine in CIA restaurant. It will be a good memory for your life time. ;)

8 Comments:

At 6:39 AM, Blogger cooknengr said...

Hey Fish Fish, nice write up. French Laundry would be a great place to go to when you are out here again.

 
At 7:57 AM, Blogger Lee Ai Ling said...

Oh....my....god....delicious looking food!!!! Envious!! Sigh.....

 
At 2:25 AM, Blogger domesticgoddess said...

流口水。

 
At 5:08 PM, Blogger Janice Dhing Woon said...

fish fish, when u mentioned u visited the CIA museum next door i thought u visited the Central Intelligence Agency museum located next door.. haha.. i didn't realise the true long form of it until 2 paragraphs after that.

thanks for posting the pic of olive tree, never seen that before. The skin of the olives on the trees look a bit wrinkle or rough but the one your plate looks very smooth. Do you know whether they do any processing to the olives before serving?

 
At 3:20 PM, Blogger kayatan said...

Yes, Napa valley indeed is one of the nice places in CA.
One of my gfs from Miri married an American whose parent own 300acres of land in Napa Valley. She posted some of her in law home/land, very beautiful.
Very nice write up and nice photos too.

 
At 7:37 PM, Blogger fish fish said...

cooknengr : I definitely will. ^_^ Cross my fingers.

lee ai ling : Oops! :P

domesticgoddess : Ah~~~ I miss your Chinese writing here.

janice : Geee... i don't know too Janice. I will have too surf online to check that out. Thanks for asking that question.

kayatan : Thanks. ^_^

 
At 3:31 PM, Blogger Lannae said...

Wow, that looks awesome! I now want to go to the CIA for a meal. The oyster and caviar app, and the scallops look terrific. Thanks for sharing!

 
At 1:27 PM, Blogger fish fish said...

lannae : Glad you like it. ^_^ Hey lannae, if you go to the one in NY, must blog about it ok. ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home