Kuishinbo~Meow~

I eat so much until people call me Dr. Fish Fish.

Saturday, June 23, 2007

Fort Macon State Park

After a 2-hr visit in NC Aquarium at Pine Knoll Shores, we headed to Fort Macon State Park. As I did not have any expectation on this Fort Macon, it was surely the best surprise I had on that day.

Absolutely the type of fort that I have never encountered before.

I learned so much from here.

I wonder how about Fort Magherita in Kuching. Even I was born and raised there, I have never been to Fort Magherita. So ironic. Must go to visit it the next time I go back.



Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
A welcome view of Fort Macon once you entered the main entrance. This place was used for Battle of Fort Macon in 1862.

Sang Mi and me climbed to the roof top.



Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Wow!! It was great. The view was spectacular from top.



Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
The fort was built in asymmetry, which gave a more unique feature to it.



Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Visitors enjoyed doing exploration around the roof top. It was my very fresh experience to walk around the whole area.



Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
The excitement was even stronger that I got to have a breathtaking ocean view.

Sun was bright, wind was strong and my mind was pondering. I tried to imagine the soldier that stood at the same spot where I was. What was he thinking that time?

It was very hard to imagine such a peaceful place was once a scary battle location 205 years ago.



Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
But these huge cannon proved that the war was for real.



Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
How many lifes have been killed and sacrified by these big, round, heavy yet concord grape-looking balls?



Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Under the nice green roof top, there were about 26 of these dim light rooms. Bed rooms of the soldiers.

Regardless the temperature was over 90 F that day, the rooms were cool and nice. They needed this in summer.



Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Outside the rooms, the small windows looked almost like the prisons' windows. Maybe they were not much different from prisoners huh?



Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Neat patch of green green grass seperated the room areas with the outer barrier.



Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
I love this little grass. It was like walking on fluffy carpet.



Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
The outer barrier also functioned as a drainage system.



Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
The highlight of the day - a demonstration on how to load a gun with nine steps during that battle.

The gun that he held was used for a real battle back then.

It is still functioning well nowadays.

In fact, after showed all the nine steps of loading the gun, he wanted to show how to fire the gun.

When audiences shouted "FIRE!!"

POOOOOMMMMMMMMM!!!!!!!!!!!

Holy cow!! I was really shocked with the sudden gun shot. I never thought a gun shot could be this loud. No wonder he could only used a paper bullet. I could not imagine what might happen with a real bullet. -_-"""

Mind you, this was just one gun, with only 60 grams of gunpowder.

Imagine 205 years back, hundreds of these guns and cannon balls that required 18 pounds of gunpowder each were on fire at the same time.

I wonder if any of them became deaf.

They were the brave crowd.

5 Comments:

At 7:26 AM, Blogger Janice Dhing Woon said...

that's typical. I too haven't visited fort margherita.. paiseh paiseh.. other countries punya fort lar, castle lar, towers lar we visit. our own fort we skip. Sometimes so paiseh, when my ang moh colleagues here talked to me about places in kch which i`ve not visited.

 
At 10:43 AM, Blogger Serenity said...

me too! never been to F. Margherita. oh...oh! nice cannon balls. hee..hee!

 
At 10:13 PM, Blogger cooknengr said...

Hey Fish Fish, let organized a party at Margaritaville!

 
At 4:56 PM, Blogger fish fish said...

janice & serenity : Hehe... shall we go together to fill up this blank in our life? :P

cooknengr : Make sure you invite more 6 packs Hot hunks ok?

 
At 9:26 PM, Blogger brony said...

If you are looking forward to buy a hot sexy bikini online, then http://www.verysexybikini.com is the ultimate destination for you. Enter the bikini world at the website and select your bikini from a whole range of bikinis available here, starting from Barely String Bikini, Crystal Bikinis to sexy Micro Bikinis and Plus Size Bikinis.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home