Kuishinbo~Meow~

I eat so much until people call me Dr. Fish Fish.

Thursday, May 31, 2007

Selamat Hari Gawai

Geeee... I am so envy those of you in Sarawak now, can drink Tuak and munch crispy Kueh Jala.

I must find a time where it is Gawai time to go home next time. I miss the old time when my daddy brought us to Rumah Panjang to eat Kueh Jala full full. I used to grow up in an Iban Kampung until I was 4 or 5. I spoke Iban very fluently that time. But that time my Hakka and Mandarin was horrible. Now, the only Iban word I remember is "Makai".

Tell you a little secret here, I had my 1st tuak even when I was in Primary school. The TRUE GOOD TUAK! Hehe...

Sigh... now I become alcohol intolerance. Serve my right. -_-"""

Anyway, Happy Gawai in Hornbill Land. How to say it in Iban? Anybody know?

7 Comments:

At 8:05 PM, Blogger Janice Dhing Woon said...

i went visiting y'day, witnessed a Gawai ceremony in a baruk where they slaughter a pig and a chicken.It was interesting. Yes I had my fair share of kueh jala... yum yum..

 
At 10:43 AM, Blogger Serenity said...

gayu guru gerai nyamai...lantang senang.

ngirup tuak sampai parai. ops! kidding, u shouldn't say this second part. haha!

 
At 8:11 PM, Blogger fish fish said...

janice : Oh, that what truly a great way you celebrated it!

serenity : Muak!!! Thanks dear for the info. Ok, silly Q, what is parai? :P I want to say it "Ngirup Cognac sampai parai". Haha...

 
At 6:20 AM, Blogger Serenity said...

hey FF: parai = mati. my friends & i came up with a new one. instead of parai , we say "stoink" (drunk).

 
At 10:10 AM, Blogger Turtle said...

oi, Jas and I got 1/2 bottle (maybe less?) of tuak left from our last trip to M'sia. Home made stuff. Come to Texas, help us finish, lah!

 
At 7:34 PM, Blogger fish fish said...

serenity : Wah, luckily you tell me. Or else I simply use parai, memang parai nanti.

turtle : Eeee~~~ don't tempt me. I wish I have the vacations to go. But I am saving my vacations for next year Chomp Chomp Chomp in Kuching!!! Are you guys going too?

 
At 10:09 AM, Blogger Turtle said...

Jas is going this July, but I'll have to stay behind. I don't think she's got plans to go to cat-town this time though. Not enough time.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home