Kuishinbo~Meow~

I eat so much until people call me Dr. Fish Fish.

Sunday, March 23, 2008

Challenging Swiss Roll

I am getting more adventurous in baking. LOL

This Tuesday, there will be an international potluck party in my work place. After giving some thought, I decided to challenge a dessert that I love so much while I was in Japan.

Swiss Roll.

Yesterday, I looked through the internet for recipe and chose one that required to use "corn starch". It was a bad starting.



Photobucket
I could not find any soft flour, so I tried to used medium flour instead.

The bad turned worse. What more with milk and butter...



Photobucket
I totally screwed up my first attempt.

The cake was too hard. Before I even able to roll it, it had turned into something like above.

Hard and too dense. :( The good red bean cream inside it did not save the situation much.



Photobucket
Today, I went to the supermarket again, finally I found soft flour. I did not know it is named cake flour here.

I decided to find another recipe.

It was a much easier one. Just three ingredients : 4 large eggs, 40g soft flour and 60g sugar.

After followed the instruction step by step carefully...



Photobucket
Tralala~~~ I was so glad the cake turned out to be thick yet fluffy, like a sponge.

After letting it cooled...



Photobucket
... I tried to put many wedges of strawberry and cream, but it was too thick. LOL

Have to take out half of the strawberry.

The cake was too short, I could only roll one round.



Photobucket
Just enought to cover the filling.



Photobucket
Hehe... I know it is still far from perfect, but at least I am ready to make for real tomorrow's night for the party.

I gave myself 55 points this time.

Let see what will happen tomorrow. ;)

9 Comments:

At 8:44 PM, Blogger lcfu said...

wow....swiss roll!! good job! anyway its been a looong time since i talked to you....wish you still remember me lah! erm...i am done with my world trip and now busy with my job hunting thingy! =) wish my luck lah as i wanna work in spore =p

 
At 10:43 PM, Blogger Bad Influence said...

We use softer TP rolls than your first attempt. The second 太巻 should be fine for dessert. You should get 三度目の正直.

 
At 11:37 PM, Blogger Janice Dhing Woon said...

wow! you swiss roll looks really good!! though it's only for practice.

i didn't know flour is divided into medium and soft. Over here, for cakes, it's either self raising flour or just flour. :p
Thanks for the info :)

 
At 4:33 PM, Blogger Lannae said...

Wow! your Swiss roll is impressive! I think you did a great job! Lucky people who get to eat it!

 
At 9:46 PM, Blogger cooknengr said...

Hey Fish Fish, picture 5 looks like you have a dozen pink bear bear between the layer.

 
At 7:43 AM, Blogger Lee Ai Ling said...

I have never tried making a swiss roll before! For that I salute you!

 
At 9:52 PM, Blogger fish fish said...

Ah Fu!! I miss you! You have been away for a long long time. How many countries did you go? I am so envy you. I wish I have done that before I started to work. But not as long lar, many two months are good enough for me. ;) Welcome back! *hug* All the best for the job hunting.

Tokiwa sama, yes, my third time was a charm. Hehe, I will have a picture to prove it later on.

Janice, let me write a post next time to give a bit of education about flour for you. ;) Yes, it is pretty complicated in wheat flour.

lannae : Hopefully one day I will be very good in making swiss roll in different versions. LOL

cooknengr : Wah~~~ like this also you can imagine. Ya hor~~~ macam bear bear.

ai ling, thanks dear. It was actually pretty fun time for me. Kinda addicting. ^_^

 
At 6:40 AM, Blogger Kay said...

I am not good at baking but I think I like to give it a try. You did great!

 
At 7:10 PM, Blogger fish fish said...

Kay, hopefully I will be able to post the recipe tomorrow's night. Today too tired translate the Japanese recipe.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home