Kuishinbo~Meow~

I eat so much until people call me Dr. Fish Fish.

Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Mee and My Malaysia - Kio Chap Kueh Tiaw

This year has been a very busy year for me. This August in no exception, if not worse. However, I decided to blog something special today for two reasons.
1. It is my exact two years in U.S. since the day I reached here on Aug 27 2006.
2. I have promised babe_kl to do a post for the Merdeka Open House 2008, so a promise is a promise. It is a good one to push myself to write.

Fish Fish Mee and My Malaysia is a good old plate of bloody mary looking Kio Chap Mi.

Tomato gravy noodle (the flour type round noodle or the rice type flat and broad noodle) has been one of my Kuching hawker's food favorite.

While I was in Japan, I regularly made the vegetarian version. However, it was more of a fusion style of using many types of vegetables rather than the hawker style. I like to use the Japanese crispy noodle called Sara Udon as it is the right choice for making one, such as this.

However, as I do not have any car, it is not as convenient for me to get the noodle anytime I want. Also, the price is much more expensive. So, being stingy, last weekends, I tried to challenge by making my own crispy noodle by frying the instant noodle.



Photobucket
It was a big fail.
The gravy was too little, by the time the noodle soaked up all the gravy, nothing left for me to drink.
Too much meat and vegetables. Half way, I was so sick of this dish.

This is just not the version of Kio Chap Mee I have wanted to present to an Open House.

So, two days ago, I decided to challenge once again. This time, I decided to use the dried flat and broad rice noodle.

I cooked it in boiling water until soft, and tried to charred the noodle with my lousy skillet.



Photobucket
Ehhem... not much charred part, but at least the soy sauce and oil were spreaded evenly.

Next, was to prepare the gravy. This time, I only used 2 prawn balls and 2 beef tendon balls and a few medium shrimp. Also some sliced chicken breast and a few leaves of green vegetable. (For first time, I used a dozen of assorted meat balls. LOL)

After stir fried them for some time, I added in a lot of ketchup.

Added enough water for a whole bowl and some garlic powder to accent the aroma and flavor.

When it boiled, I added some corn starch to thicken the gravy before poured it onto the charred noodle.



Photobucket
Tralala~~~ I would say this version was very near to the hawker style. As I like it to be more sour, I decided to add just 1/2 teaspoon of Chinese black vinegar into it. The black vinegar harmonized the whole sourness, sweetness and saltiness. Yet, brings out some other complicated flavor that was not overpowering the main ketchup flavor of the plate.



Photobucket
Even the shrimp and chicken was cooked to the right degree. Not too tough.




Photobucket
Mixing up everything, and I was ready to chomp down the whole thing. It reminded me so much of the old school flavor of a good bowl of Tomato Mee aka Kio Chap Mi.

So, the next time if you go to Kuching, just look for a stall that have a lot of people ordering its Kio Chap Mi. Get yourself a glass of cool Sugar Cane + Coconut drink. Ask the Taukehnio to give you extra chili with lime sauce. You are ready to chomp down a whole plate of Kio Chap Mi.

^_^ Happy Merdeka everybody.

I know I am a bit too early. But considering how infrequent I am in blogging, better for me to say it earlier.

12 Comments:

At 4:06 AM, Blogger Jin Hooi said...

Yeah, i tried this kio chap mi at Kuching years ago.. urs look very yummy

 
At 6:11 AM, Blogger abon165 said...

i love kyo chap mee so much,but not kueh tiao
i only super love song qing hai hawker center kyo chap mee(in old time,the stall is near ban hock 7cheng lou)
but now my mom stay in BDC,i only can eat BDC not so delicious one

 
At 5:43 PM, Blogger chocolatelab said...

ooo I'm sitting here drooling...that kio chap keuh tiaw looks so delicious. I like to eat mine with chili in soy sauce/vinegar. Next time I go back to Kuching, I will go try the qing hai hawker center...btw, where's that place at??? I normally order mine from Sarawak Club.

 
At 8:51 AM, Blogger MamaBoK said...

Yummy still leh.. :)

 
At 11:36 AM, Blogger Nightraveller said...

I thought Sarawakian only celebrates 916 ;-p Btw, the link to my blog has been changed.

 
At 9:44 PM, Blogger Nate-n-Annie said...

I am glad you stuck it out and decided to try again. Great job!

 
At 12:27 AM, Blogger cooknengr said...

Hey Fish Fish, I sokong Nighttraveller. BTW, I got mani Chai !

 
At 7:44 AM, Blogger abon165 said...

to chocolab
song qing hai hawker center is very near to kuching china town---padungan

you go near the big white cat,and ask people where is song qing hai hawker center,people will tell you
all kuching kolo mee,laksa,belachan beehoon,rojak....you can find it there

 
At 6:22 PM, Blogger chocolatelab said...

ooooo i missed the song..no wonder i never heard of qing hai hawker center.. (paiseh)
thank you abon165

 
At 11:20 AM, Blogger fish fish said...

jin hooi : Thank you. ^_^

abon : Next time we go back together, I will be your driver. Wherever you wanna go makan, say nia, no place in Kuching is too far for foods. ;) I still love Kueh Tiaw more than Mee. Because I am a rice pail.

chocolatelab : LOL this is actually I hear people eating Kio Chap Kueh Tiaw from Sarawak Club. Is it still in operation? It was burnt down two years ago. abon have answered your doubt on the Song Kheng Hai. It is one fo the place with best Kio Chap Kueh Tiaw (personal preference).

mamabok : You mean the mee? Don't be deceived by the look. :P

nightraveller : Both lar. I will change the link when I go back to Raleigh. Thanks for telling me that.How have you been doing?

nate-n-annie : Thank you for the kind words. :)

cooknengr : Inside my stomach liao lar~~~ Huhuhu...

 
At 1:36 AM, Blogger Nightraveller said...

I am now in Hong Kong, teaching instead of researching, coz i no pandai like u loh ;-p

cooknengr, although I am from western peninsular, I really think our official Independence Day should be changed to 916

 
At 8:26 PM, Blogger fish fish said...

Lixing, which one is better? Hong Kong foods or Japanese foods? Which place is smaller? Hongkong apartment or Japanese apartment? I want to visit you one day!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home