Kuishinbo~Meow~

I eat so much until people call me Dr. Fish Fish.

Tuesday, April 14, 2009

We won!! ^_^

Today we had a potluck dinner. So many yummy foods and I am bloated now.

So, after my 1st try with the chirashizushi, today Xin and me took two hours to prepare it again, with 80% of the ingredients have prepared on Sunday and Monday, except those that needed to prepare on the day.



Photobucket
We were much more satisfied with this time in term of appearance and the balance of colors. Also, since seaweed and deep fried anchovies were debatable ingredients of like or hate, we decided to pull them out. Alternatively, striped eggs with two different flavors as well as stir fried shimeji mushroom with shoyu were used. I think we made the right decision.

The outcome?

Not only people loved the taste, we also won the 1st prize in the main and side dishes category.
Yippie~~~ what a surprise. Although the $15 gift card was not even enough to cover 1/2 of the money we spent on the ingredients, Xin and me were truly "proud" with the effort we have put in it.

Out of the 6 prizes for the night, 3 of the prizes won by my lab. Tee hee hee...



Photobucket
Hicran's tabouli is my all time favorite. It is pretty different from the tabouli that uses a lot of parsley, but more on the cracked wheat. Even though the more sour parsley tabouli is pretty nice and healthy, Hicran's definitely winning over that the green tabouli any time.

And... she won the 2nd prize for the main and side dish category. ;)



Photobucket
Next, Esra's kadayif. She makes very good dessert. I usually don't eat baklava from shop, mainly it is too sweet for my liking, but Esra's baklava, I can eat three pieces.

Today, she decided to make something else, instead of her well-known baklava which she won the 1st prize last year.

Kadayif was her choice and personally, I like kadayif over baklava. The texture of kadayif are unique. Esra make it into a few layers. The first thing she did, was to mix these very fine vermicelli-like pastry with butter so that each strand was infused with the aroma and flavor of butter. Then, at the bottom layer, the kadayif was mixed with sweet syrup, layered with crushed pistachio, then with the baked crispy top layer. (It actually more ingredients than this I believe, but I have very limited knowledge on Turkish cuisines.) Complicated yet complementing each other so well. I love it.

It is a no surrpise she won the 1st prize again this year for the dessert category. You go girl!



Photobucket
Ah~~~ a gift card has never look this pretty before.

Because we won!

Yatta!

8 Comments:

At 12:37 AM, Blogger mNhL said...

Congratulations on your winning!

I've been following your blog for quite some time. You posts interesting blogs and those foods pix made me drools. Come over to mine. Its a new blog. Thks

 
At 12:59 PM, Blogger fish fish said...

Thanks mNhL. :) Your cute prince and princess reminds me of my nephew and niece so much~~~ but they are bigger.

 
At 10:07 AM, Blogger Lannae said...

Congratulations on winning!! Wow! You can cook for me any time!

 
At 11:03 PM, Blogger http://4fabian.multiply.com/ said...

Awesome blog you FOOD FREAK. Your blog makes me hungry. My blog is at :

http://4fabian.multiply.com/

No food there yet, but you have maybe inspired me.

Fabian

 
At 8:13 AM, Blogger dawn said...

Congratulations on your winning..i'm visiting your blog first time...you have a nice site here about food facts.

 
At 1:35 AM, Blogger hoyoyi said...

Dasao,

canot see picture ler...

try host your pics with picasa or imageshack. ^ ^

 
At 8:32 AM, Blogger adeoye adetunji said...

wow nice blog.but i am capable of suprising you though you know so much,come and see what can be done with toothpicks

 
At 5:13 PM, Blogger fish fish said...

Lannae : Thanks Lannae! ^_^

fabian : Great photos you have there!

dawn : Welcome! Thank you :)

hoyoyi : Just registered imageshack (I think) after reading your comment, but photos have to wait many weeks later. No time lately. See you in Kuching!

adeoye : Thanks. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home